OT: Savage MOdel 24 O/U

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Savage MOdel 24 O/U

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When did the combo guns become so spendy? Been seeing priced from $350 to $550, at least the 2 i saw tonite were really nice shape. The 22/410 was $399 and the 223/20ga was $369, would really like one, but dont know if i can justify that amount.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Savage MOdel 24 O/U

Post by arjunky »

The only ones I've seen locally under $300 in the last 6 years was the .22/.410's. They are going for more than that now. :x

I really want a 30-30/12 gauge, but don't want to pay what they want for one.

Byron
Hobie

Re: OT: Savage Model 24 O/U

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I traded for one a few months ago for my grand-kids. When I went to test it out, it blew up on me. The stock came apart and the forearm flew off. The 223 case was stuck in it. I found out the head space was bad. Be careful and have it check out before firing it, like I should have. :o
"That'll Be The Day"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Right now in my safe is a near mint Savage 24 .22/410 with beautiful case hardened frame. Ariends wife bought it for him for Christmas. It has the selector button on the side of the frame, is that an early one? I have a 24 30-30/20 gauge that is a real beauty too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rangerider,
Glad you are ok.
What kind of cretin sells a gun he knows there is a problem with?
I am not naive, and I know bad people are in our ranks.
THEY SHOULD NOT BE.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Well that's what happened to the 24, they priced themselves right out of the market. The cost more and more, while making them heavier, and uglier. Those last 24F's are just monsters and laughably priced.

Please come on over to the 24 board... where things.. move... a might... slow. :D

http://www.savage24.com
Slow is just slow.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Paid £100.00 for mine about $198.00 at the time. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Both at different local gun shops, my wife bought me the wood-stocked 1951 Savage 24B .22/.410 last Christmas for the tagged $200, and I bought it's 1939 Stevens 22-410 Model Tenite-stocked cousin last month for it's tagged $300 - gladly.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The first gun that I could leagly buy when I turned 18 was a M24 .22Mag/20 ga. I kept it for a while but just never could warm up to it so I sold it or traded it.

I remember having a shop teacher in HS that was from Indiana and we used to talk guns a lot. He even taught me how to reload at his home on weekends. He said he bought one of those one time in .22/.410 and put a scope on it since it was grooved for a scope. He said the first day of squirrel season he went out with it and was sitting under a big hickory tree when the sun came up. after a few minutes he heard something and there was a bushy tail sitting on a limb. He put the cross hairs on his head and squeezed the trigger. When the hammer dropped the shotgun barrel went off and he still missed the squirrel. He said he got so made he threw the gun down the hill and stomped off for home. When came came walking through the kitchen door his wife was working on the stove and didn't turn around to look she just said over her shoulder, "my you got your limit awful early didn't you?" He had pretty much cooled down by then, but he poured himself a cup of coffee and told her what happened. she let it sink in a bit and asked, well are you going to just throw the rifle away or are you going to trade it for something you can use. He downed his coffee and said, I guess I better trade it off, so he walked back to the old hickory tree and found the Savage and brought it home.
I never see one of those old M24's that I don't think about Mr. Davis he sure taught a young fatherless kid a lot. Thank you Jim Davis where ever you are.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

3leggedturtle wrote:When did the combo guns become so spendy? Been seeing priced from $350 to $550, at least the 2 i saw tonite were really nice shape. The 22/410 was $399 and the 223/20ga was $369, would really like one, but dont know if i can justify that amount.
The old good ones are indeed expensive now :shock: I have a very nice 22/410 that only cost me $160 about 10 years ago, I can't find them now for under $350. At a gunshow a year or so ago I ran into a 30-30/20 that was in near perfect condition that was priced at $450. I waited until 10 minutes were left in the gunshow and offered him $350. He looked at me in disgust and a deal was struck! :lol: :lol:

I figured that there was something wrong with it or he needed the money. Well, the shotgun barrel turned out to be perfectly regulated and the rifle barrel was so smooth and bright it just HAD to shoot well, didn't it? It did! 27grs with the Lyman 311041 will group under 2" at 100 yards even before I put a Lyman shotgun peep on it. Now it is even better.

I'll admit it is a bit bulky and even a hair heavy when compared to a slick '92 or a Marlin 1894, but it is HANDY! I put a sling on it and that helped. But it is so cool to take it hunting and know you are armed for ANYTHING! While preseason deer scouting this year I was able to take 3 ruffed grouse and a medium sized black bear with it, all within a 1/2 hour. Pretty cool.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I had a 24V for a short time. I regret not getting a picture of it with my other two.
Slow is just slow.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Twenty years ago I bought a mod24 20/.22WM, but just had a lot of problem with it. It was impossible to sight it in, as it sadly enough dramatically changed the POI to the next day. I traded it, but still have bad conscience for not having reclaimed it where I bought it.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF