Bullet casting and slugging the bbl

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Bullet casting and slugging the bbl

Post by BwanaDave »

I am thinking about getting into casting since it looks like components may become difficult to come by in the future. I am specifically thinking about 45/70, 44 mag, 45 Colt, and 357. From the reading I have been doing it sounds like a good idea to slug the barrels before ordering molds. In order to do this should I just call Midway and tell them what calibers I am thinking about in order to get the correst size lead balls for slugging? Are there slugging kits? Are there other sources for balls for slugging?

As far as casting goes I am thinking about the Lyman starter kit, any comments on it?

Any general casting advice?

Thanks

Dave
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet casting and slugging the bbl

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I usually take chamber and bore (at the muzzle ) castings using Brownells Cerrosafe casting alloy (available from Brownells or Midway).
Accurate measurments can be taken from them of bore and groove dia.

Most of the calibers you gave generaly run true to spec. and most molds will cast bullets larger than needed so they can be sized to fit.
The .44mag. may be the exception and a mold from Ranch Dog will fill the need for oversize bullets there. Slug or cast the .44 bore before investing in a mold for it.

Get the "Lyman Cast Bullet Manual"and read up on casting and molds available from them before getting in deep. This saves on not ending up with stuff you can`t use or don`t need. Have fun!! :D
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

It is not necessary to slug a modern bore, for mold selection & diameter. For older guns you might consider Buffalo Arms. Sluging would be approrate for the older arms. They make & sell larger than standard size custom molds.

Some molds will drop bullets as cast that will be of proper size for a specific Arm. However most are cut large and then a sizer/lube machine provides the proper sizing die to bring the slug to a specific size for the desired bore groove selected fit.Usually .001"-.002" larger than bore groove diameter.
This is where you need to slug the bore.

For additional Info and reference try the "Lyman Cast Bullet Manual". All you will ever need is referenced there.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You don't need anything special to slug the bores. Just get some hollow egg sinkers that are a bit larger than the bore you wish to measure, and some hardwood dowels that will just fit in the bores. A digital or dial indicator will work, but good micrometer is better for accurate measuring of your slugs. You'll likely want the bullets .002" over the bore size. The Lyman or RCBS cast bullet books are good reading for the beginning caster.
NRA Life Member
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Thanks guys. I mis-spoke in the original post when I said molds I intended to say dies. The Lyman kit doesn't include either molds or sizing dies it does include the Lyman casting manual. My intention was to order the Lyman kit and the mold and sizing die for one caliber to start in one order, thus my desire to slug the barrel before ordering the kit including the manual.

Dave
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

One thing I did for casting the Lee 150 gr bullet w/gas check is get the Lee die that resizes and sets the gas check. Works like a charm. I'm working up a load now with H335, I have hundreds of jacketed loads ready to go but like the idea of casting. I also cast for the .45, they come out great and shoot great too. I have a 336 and a nice 340 in 30-30.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Spend a couple days using the search feature on these sites. Everything you would like to know can be found here. I would wait on the lyman kit, you get a lot more for your money with LEE . Good luck

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Thanks again. I am leaning toward the Lyman set because Cabelas has it and I can use some of the cabelas credit cards points I have been hording. I have been reading the sites mentioned.

Dave
Both94sPlus
Levergunner

Post by Both94sPlus »

Bwana Dave--

Knowing the groove diameter AND throat diameter of a given barrel or cylinder is valuable information. Most modern guns adhere fairly closely to nominal specs--except when they don't. Not being a smart aleck here, but some examples vary--regardless of make or nation of origin.

Classic example here--Ruger single actions in 45 Colt from mid-1990s. Most of these had .451"-.452" grooves, which isn't bad at all. Problem was, the cylinder throats ran .448"-.449". NOT GOOD, and SIZE MATTERS--A LOT--with cast bullets. I opened the throats on my BisHawk x 45 to .453", and it now runs happily with .454" bullets into .453" throats transitioning into .452" grooves. Rifle, autopistol, or revolver--throats are the determinant of my bullet sizing dimension, once I know there are no anomalies like the Ruger revolver bit listed above. And the only way to know such things is by either slugging or pin gauging.
MT Gianni
Levergunner

Post by MT Gianni »

I agree it is not that necessary before buying a mold. I would call it crucial before buying sizer dies.