BEST .44 MAG LOAD ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzzly
Levergunner

BEST .44 MAG LOAD ???

Post by Grizzzly »

What load do you guys recommend in 44 mag for hunting whitetail in heavy brush to semi open hardwoods, I hunt in NY (Adirondacks) & most shots under 100 yards. I want a load with the most accuracy & heavy thumpin' power all in one at 100 yards. Please recommend a factory load & a custom load by all you reloaders. I don't reload yet but would like to start soon. Could you also recommend a good, inexpensive reloader ? I will be using a 16" barrel Trapper style gun in either a Winchester, Rossi or Marlin. I will be shooting open sights. Thanks, John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: BEST .44 MAG LOAD ???

Post by Blaine »

The Federal 300gr Hardcast is a super hard hitter. I have been using 12gr of BlueDot under a 300 hard cast for a moderate thumper, but that;s not a max velocity load by any means, just an effective one.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

For what you want to do, most any factory 240 gr JHPs will do just fine. At 100 yards out of the trapper, the "whump" factor will be about the same (or more) than point blank range out of a revolver. The deer up here haven't discovered kevlar yet (or maybe they can't afford it, ;) )
Certified gun nut
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Have not used my 44Mag on deer for a while now, but last time I did I used a 250gr Sierra on top of 22gr H2400, that stopped 'em ok.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The old standby of 24.0 gr. of H110/296 with a 240gr. JSP would be hard to beat.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We've killed several deer with the Winchester/USB 240 Gr. JSP out of Marlins. Essentially the same load was used (with more cost and less accuracy) from Winchester 12 gauge saboted slugs in the past, and we use the load from our muzzleloaders (.50 cal) with sabots.

Remember, it is shot placement that counts. Put a .429" hole through the thorax of anything in North America, and it won't breathe very long.

I have to laugh in Indiana, when I hear the guys who have been either using inaccurate 12 gauge rifled slugs, or 'poaching' with .300 Win Mag, as they muse about buying a .44 Levergun as to whether it will "have enough power" to do in a whitetail at 100 yards or less. Our grandfathers must be laughing it up on that one, having killed millions of whitetails with the likes of .32-20 and so on.

HUNTERS can get their deer with just about anything, including if need be a sharp stone on a spear...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I kill deer out to and past 100 yards with the .44 and loads that do little more than 1300fps. Never lost one. Not ONE. Any 240 gr bullet, give or take 60 grains, will take any deer that ever lived.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

+1 for ajmd429. a .44 , with the right bullet, placed accuratley at reasonable ranges, will STOP ANYTHING on this planent that might come chargin' at your site.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

For a factory load I would look at Grizzly Cartridge Co's many offerings. They are a sponsor of this site and I am sure they would talk to you about the best ammo for your needs.

In a handload I like the 265gr or 300 gr Swift A-Frame with 2965 or 4227 pushing it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I was reading in Ken Waters book and he said pretty much the same as everybody else has said- any standard 240 JHP from a rifle length barrel would do the trick every time.
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Thanks for the plug 86er!

Grizzzly - We have an excellent 275 grain Hawk loading that should exceed 1500 fps in your Trapper easily. Once in a while bullets of 300 grain or more do not cycle perfectly in rifles, so there is no way to know about your rifle but to try them. With that in mind, The 275 will cycle perfectly and will provide you with a good trajetory combined with great power. Frankly, any well constructed 250gr bullet designed for hunting should be adequate on deer with proper range and shot placement. Our 275 Hawk loading gives a slight edge by insuring penetration and expansion with a somewhat flatter trajectory due to the velocity and bullet characteristics. This is achieved with very little pressure above any premium factory 250 load. Then there's a selection of cast bullets if you are so inclined. If you'd like to call to discuss you can reach us at (503) 556-3006.

Mike Rintoul
Grizzly Cartridge Co.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Thanks for the info Mike! And welcome to the forum!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.