Stuck a doe yesterday.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Stuck a doe yesterday.

Post by Leverdude »

Took awhile but I finally connected on another deer yesterday.
Got a bit of a show before she came out. Watched some turkeys till a red fox spooked them & they ran right around my thicket & a couple flew right over my head! The fox hung around awhile trying to find rodents of some kind under the snow & then right before dark 2 does & 2 fawns came out.
I took the last in line & the others hung around but never opffered up another bow shot.
Anyway I slipped a muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadhead behind her shoulder & she took 2 bounds & piled up on a froze brook. Made my day & helped fill the freezer. :D

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well done Sir. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Great shot and what a quick kill!

Congrats and thanks for the report and pics.

Gotta love Muzzys. Four blade for me though.
Chad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have always had respect for guys who prioritize on accuracy and good clean kills-----------well done---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice work! Have you ever tried tying your drag line around the lower jaw in the mouth and looping it over the whole snout? It keeps the head up higher when your dragging it and keeps it from snagging. I just recently started doing it that way and I like it better.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Conggratulations!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

86er wrote:Nice work! Have you ever tried tying your drag line around the lower jaw in the mouth and looping it over the whole snout? It keeps the head up higher when your dragging it and keeps it from snagging. I just recently started doing it that way and I like it better.
Nope, cant say as I have. Maybe next time. I used to wrap the front feet up together with the head for some reason & get stuck on trees & bushes. They slide thru brush pretty easy this way. Bucks I generally wrap the drag around the base of both antlers.
Rereading the first post I see I lied. I took the doe Monday afternoon. :oops:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Good hunt with all the action! Nice doe too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Non-hunters think it's weird that we appreciate the beauty of the wildlife we encounter while hunting, then proceed to bloody things up by blasting Bambi. They have no clue we're just participants (and so ar they, vicariously but in styrofoam denial) in the scene ourselves. We perhaps better than the animals we observe, happen to think more abstractly and philosophically about it, but part of the beauty of that hunt was the way it illustrated before your eyes the hunting of others; the birds for grain, the fox for birds or rodents.

That deer was lucky not to be hit by a car, or eaten alive by a pack of dogs or coyotes. Same end each way, but the arrow was more humane than the dog pack, and the death not pointless like the car impact.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hey Ken, no turban pics? :lol:

Nice deer. Send me some steaks. I didn't get out this year for elk.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Good job Ken! Congrats!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

sore shoulder wrote:Hey Ken, no turban pics? :lol:

Nice deer. Send me some steaks. I didn't get out this year for elk.
Just for you Frank, if I poke another I'll put my fugly looking mug in it.
This landowner asked me if she could see it if I got another. I took one from her property in Oct but just loaded it up & left. Never had a request to look at a dead deer before but she was dissapointed.
Anyway, I gutted it, drug it to where the pic got took & just went & banged on her door never thinking about what I looked like.
I think I scairt her for a second till she realized who it was, least her eyes bugged out a bit. :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

marlinman93 wrote:Good job Ken! Congrats!
Thanks Vall!
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

nice looking doe way to go
Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

Nice job Ken!

The snow looks "Crunchy" were you still hunting?

Dave
"We do not go to the verdant green woods and crystal clear waters to rough it...we go to smooth it. We get things rough enough at home! - George Washington Sears- a.k.a- NESSMUK
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Backwoods wrote:Nice job Ken!

The snow looks "Crunchy" were you still hunting?

Dave
It was crunchy. I heard the deer coming long before I saw them. I'd hear a "crunch crunch" then nothing for a few till another "crunch crunch" & after awhile could see them filtering thru the brush down the trail.
I was sitting against a wall in a thicket. They passed by not 15 yards away. I figure closer to 12 but it was close anyway. Still amazed they didn't wind me, but they didn't. :wink: