OT - Magnets and guns or knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Magnets and guns or knives

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I see magnetic strips holding kitchen knives all the time. I have seen them for tools as well. But something always bothered me about this - for some reason I've always thought that a magnet would either damage the finish on a knive at the point of contact, or magnetize the blade and potentially weaken the metal.

I have no idea where these thoughts came from. Something bouncing around in the dark recesses of the old noodle that I think I read sometime long, long ago. Can't place my finger on it, but it is just a concern - probably unfounded - that is there.

Anyway... do any of you secure your knives or any firearms using magnets? If so, have you had any problems with doing so? Specifically, any damage to finishes?

I'm thinking about rearranging my pocket knives using magnetic strips so I can display them easier and they will be easier to get and use. I also am thinking a magnet embedded at the contact point of the shelf where the barrel of a long gun rests would hold them more efficently. Figured I would check with the collective knowledge and experience we have here first!!! :D
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Magnets and guns or knives

Post by nemhed »

The rubberized magnets they sell in hobby stores won't harm the finish on anything. My suspicion is that they would not weaken the steel but I'll let someone else comment on that. The thing I like about that kind of set up for kitchen cutlery is that everything air drys nicely and thus is more sanitary. One drawback I could think of outside of the kitchen is that the magnets or any item that has gotten magnetized would attract and hold onto metal shavings.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My "gut" feeling is that they wouldn't hurt the steel.
I kinda think that it might slightly magnatize the blade
and pick up iron filings that get transferred into the
meat I was cutting.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I've used them to hold tools on the bulkhead of a work van and now in the shop at work.

If you don't pay attention when removing them, there is the possibility of marring the finish and I've seen very little magnetism transferred to screwdrivers, etc.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Heres a pic in my gunroom of a magnetic thing-of-ma-jig that has held magazines for 25 years or so. As long as I remember to take 'em off once or twice a year and oil 'em like your'e supposed to---no problem. Go ahead and have a blast!----------------------------------------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The makers of those nice rotary gun racks use magnets hidden in the barrel channel to hold the guns in the racks. I have a friend who stores some extremely high dollar antique guns in his, and has not had any issues. The maker guarantees them safe for firearms.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys - this is what I was hoping to hear! :D
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

If the magnetic field is strong enough the knife or gun will collect metal filings and chips. This might be a problem for you later while sharpening the knife or working on the gun. It helps with screwdrivers and small metal screws. :D