Winchester '1885 & .270 WSM?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DJWright
Levergunner

Winchester '1885 & .270 WSM?

Post by DJWright »

Been wanting a High Wall for awhile. Found a new Winchester High Wall in .270 WSM in a local shop for $960. Any input regarding the caliber if rifle?
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester '1885 & .270 WSM?

Post by Gun Smith »

My only thought, it may "kill" at both ends. If it is finished as nice as the Browning 1885 I used to own, they are beautiful guns.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Remember, B-85s are made in BIG calibers, such as .45-70, .45-90 & .405 Winchester, not to mention .300 Win Mag, &c...

I doubt that little .270 WSM is gonna hurt the shooter any.

They are very nice rifles, IMHO, and are worth the money, if the caliber is close to what you want.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

.270 with the right bullet will take just about anything from prarrie dogs to elk and a moose if you pick your shots.

$960 sounds like a good price for late production '85... those are a bit of a niche weapon ...haggle you may get a deal.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Almost hate to jump in on your gun store, but if you might want a 7mm WSM instead, I have a unfired 1885 with box (no papers) that I would sell for $900 + shipping. Save you a little, but unknown what your shop might charge you for the transaction, so it might not be worth it.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When they brought the 1885 out in the 270 , 7mm and 300 WSM I decided I needed one in 270 WSM !

I had seen the mention of the rifles in one of the gun rags and thought it was nice . Later I got a Winchester catalog and looked at them . Then another day after that I was in the Gander Mountain in Fredricksburg Virginia and saw one ! Actuallt 3 of them as they had one in each caliber in the rack . So after looking at them (Gander wanted a little over $950) I asked my local dealer what he could get one for . I think he sold me a 270 WSM for $849 plus tax and call in !

So after he got it and I took it home I worked up loads with the Barnes TSX , Hornady SST and Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip all in 130 grain weights .

First day rifle season in 2005 I pole axed a Spike whitetail at about 83 yards with the Barnes 130 grain TSX bullet loaded with 63 grains IMR4350 and the Federal 215 primer .

After killing that deer I kinda lost intrest in the rifle and traded it off a year or so later .

Nice enough gun and the velocities get helped out quite a bit with that 28" barrel ! However it is a bit cumbersome for a treestand rifle !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !