Are you alone for the Holidays (4)?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Are you alone for the Holidays (4)?

Post by 86er »

Those of you that have been around for a few years know that I have done this every year for the past 3 seasons. In the past I have paid for round trip transportation for whomever wanted to come. In the past I started the offer with Thanksgiving. The first year we had two individuals and a couple! The second year we had two individuals. Last year I had one individual and one last minute cancellation. The cancellation is a cool story because the persons daughter who had broken ties with her Dad found out what he was doing for Christmas. The whole idea caused her to find the meaning of Christmas within herself and she rekindled her relationship with Dad and had him there for Christmas.

This year is a little different. Family health and finances have not been up to par. Thing are okay now but we are climbing out of a slump. I could not get anyone here for Thanksgiving. I cannot take on a guest for New Years this year because of a large number of family members from out of state coming in.

Here is the offer: If you want to come to Dallas, TX area the week of Christmas for a few days you can stay at our home with us, participate in some shooting and reloading and have a good time! No questions asked - it is not my business what your circumstances are that have you alone for Christmas. This is also anonymous - I will not post or otherwise tell anyone who came, just that someone did (if someone chooses to accept). I apologize that I cannot afford to provide round trip transportation this year.

Let me know by PM if you would like to spend Christmas in Texas with us!

Joe
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Are you alone for the Holidays (4)?

Post by Andrew »

BTT It's really awesome that you open your home like you do to people that need it, thanks.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

86er - great of you to make these offers - wish that best for you and your guests.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My hats off to you. Volunteered at a homeless shelter driving people to their destination. Would've stop by with some food and levers to shoot with you. Am going to drive/move a friend to Daytona Beach over New Years. I'll say a prayer for you. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

86er,

I think this is a good thing you do and has become a great tradition. You and 86her have big hearts.
Ricky

DWWC
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

That is one of the nicest things I have heard in a very long time.
AQHA Life Member
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"Are you alone for the Holidays?"

Geeze I sure hope so. :D
Slow is just slow.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

CAS you sound like you were born to be a trucker. Been chuckling over your comment for last 15 minutes. Whaddya gotta private range to yaself for the holidays. Selfish @#$%^$##%^%*(^% ya coulda invited us fellow leverguners down to shoot with ya instead of rubbing our noses in it!! :) Will drink a Beck's Dark for you tonite
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

That's always a nice offer; I might take you up on it some year for the hospitality but would pay my own way. But as usual I'm swamped here. Christmas day is about the only rest I get!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

gunslinger598 wrote:That is one of the nicest things I have heard in a very long time.
+ 1 Sir, you are indeed a good man.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I am not alone.I am fortunate to have some family in which we gather at holidays. I know cas's tongue in cheek comment on wanting to be alone can ring true in some circumstances but in the long run there are a number of people who have to be alone. A recent widower with an empty nest as an example.

You're spreading one of the true spirits of Christmas. I am sure we are all giving you a collective thank you.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i guess i will be spending the holidays alone this year because my ol'lady loaded up all her stuff and moved out.needless to say but under the situation she left she wont be spending the holidays alone.as she told me she has found a much better and "larger" man. :lol: but i do like around all my family so if i want i can hang with them but i am not big on holidays .
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

I recall reading 86ers post last year and then bawling like a kid at the thought of such generosity and compassion. His post is one major reason I choose to visit this forum daily. It always amazes me how the Levergun Community gentlemen act more like friends and mentors than ANY other gun group/site that I have visited. Thanks to all the gentlemen who make this site a nice "soft place to land" for me and I'm sure many others. Happy Holidays!
BH
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Once again 86er, Good on ya.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Modoc ED wrote:Once again 86er, Good on ya.
A+

Joe, you got a PM.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bigbore442001 wrote: You're spreading one of the true spirits of Christmas. I am sure we are all giving you a collective thank you.
+1 on that. Some of our patients are not only alone for the holidays but also in poor health, and that really eats at me sometimes. We do as best we can to try and get them 'networked' with family, friends, church, or whatever, and though I'm sure it makes the Medicare gods (devils more likely :evil: ) angry, we try and make sure all our old/alone people have an appointment this time of year so we can check on them. On average it costs about $20 for us to see a Medicare patient (in primary care, unless you do procedures, Medicare doesn't even pay overhead costs), but it is something they need.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AZ Desertrat
Levergunner

Post by AZ Desertrat »

NO...I am not alone.....but I think what you do for people is a wonderful thing. It would be great if more people could do such a good thing. But, economy such as it is...it is probably a tough thing to do.
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

A heart dedicated to service and fellowship is a treasure. Sharing the Holy Day with those who hunger for fellowship and good company is a holy act.

As for me, I have never felt alone. There is always an unseen yet familiar presence with me, one that has been with me all my life, bestowing blessings upon me, guarding me and keeping me from harm. In a time of desperation, He has spoken words of comfort and reassurance in the turmoil of my mind, and I have rejoiced for the certainty of His guardianship. I am not worthy of such blessings, yet it matters not to my unseen presence. Indeed, my wife and I will be attending a simple birthday party this year, in celebration of a true friend who watches over us always, waiting to bestow gifts upon us beyond our imagining.

May your life be filled with such blessings, and much more, in joyful abundance.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTT

Joe, you are simply amazing!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe, thank's again for what you do. WranglerJohn you have hit the very reason that we celebrate the birth of our Saviour Jesus Christ.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've only received one serious inquiry but no takers. I am extending this to include the first week of thge New Year. We have found some local folks that could use a hand to carry them through this season. If nobody from the forum would like to join us, I'll take that as a good thing! I hope everyone has plans and is gifted this season. So if someone comes we are prepared but if not I will invest my resources to some local groups. Frankly, sharing with one person with common interests is much more personal - but who knows, maybe we can meet some of the local folks personally. Best Wishes!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member