Wolf Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Wolf Primers

Post by BILLYDIXON »

Has anybody used wolf primers I see they are alot cheaper about $20.00 a thousand. :o
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Wolf Primers

Post by 66GTO »

I loaded some for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they seemed fine. They all went bang and seated in the primer pocket OK.

I only had magnum primers (standard Wolf primers are ordered but not here yet) and I loaded them with non-magnum powders at beginning loads in .44 Mag (1894) just to see how they would do. Of the powders I tried they were the most accurate with W231, less so with Unique and Titegroup. When I get my order of new Wolf primers I will try the same powders with the standard primers and load some H110 with the magnum primers and compare.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Does the packaging say anything definitive about being non-corrosive (and is there any way to test to see if that is true)? That would be my primary concern. Uniformity, accuracy, and longlevity too, but I definitely don't want to corrode old Betsy...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

AJMD429 wrote:Does the packaging say anything definitive about being non-corrosive (and is there any way to test to see if that is true)? That would be my primary concern. Uniformity, accuracy, and longlevity too, but I definitely don't want to corrode old Betsy...
The package reads "Small Pistol Magnum Primers, Standard Non-Corrosive" and "NCSPM" (Non Corrosive Small Pistol Magnum). The Large Pistol Magnum primers have "Non-Corrosive" and "NCLPM".
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'd like to see some chronograph data on these when compared to CCI, Winchester or Federal primers (the first two being my favorite). In a pistol it may not matter as much as most of us can't shoot as well as our pistolas. I think in a rifle it would be a whole other enchilada. That my two. :D

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd just like to find some locally to buy and try. But there is a real drought of components in this place.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

CowboyTutt wrote:I'd like to see some chronograph data on these when compared to CCI, Winchester or Federal primers (the first two being my favorite). In a pistol it may not matter as much as most of us can't shoot as well as our pistolas. I think in a rifle it would be a whole other enchilada. That my two. :D

-Tutt
I did some research on the reloading forums on The High Road and The Firing Line before I ordered. Some reloaders who had chrono'd the Wolf primers reported the deviation was within a range of 20-30 fps IIRC. That might just be variations in the powder charge.

Powder Valley and Wideners have the Wolf primers for $19 per 1000 if you order 5000 or more.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GTO that is a respectable ES and could be caused by many handloading factors as you mentioned. I doubt I will every try them as I'm "primer snooty" and get the best I can get, but I look forward to hearing about them.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Anyone else have experience with WOLF primers? I bought 2K small rifle primers. Places like BPS, Cabelas, and GM are charging close to $50 for a thousand primers.

TomF
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

I have quite a few Wolfe primers in all sizes. I have not tried all sizes but what I have have worked just fine. If it ever gets warm here I will do some bench work and report. So far, accuracy is on par with my win loaded rounds.
J
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

Well I hope they work well in my Guns I recived my order of powder an primers. Bought 20,000 wolf primers cost 90$ per 5000.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I use them, just to be sure you have them set well in the pirmer pocket, you get a pop then boom if you dont.

I think thay are well worth the money.

Steve