OT for Perfesser Joe, Gout in the foot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

OT for Perfesser Joe, Gout in the foot

Post by JerryB »

Joe, would a gout flare up in the foot have a lot of heat along with the pain? My wife has been having trouble in the arch of one foot. The other night it got pretty bad and her foot was real hot too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT for Perfesser Joe, Gout in the foot

Post by JerryB »

BTT for Joe one time. Thank's
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jerry,

Yes much heat, much swelling, much redness, much pain. Very sensitive to anything. Get thy spouse to a doctor. There are some good meds that will knock it down pretty quick. They'll want to run a Uric Acid level test to verify it's gout, but the symptoms are pretty consistent.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

About 5 yrs. ago I was stricken with a wicked, wicked pain in my knee which came on with increasing bad in about an hour or less. It hurt so bad i COULDN'T SHIFT MY TRUCK. Wife drove me to ER and it turned out to be gout. I drink more water and followed the recommended foods to avoid list for 6 months before reverting to my old ways. Occassionally I pig out on black cherries when they are on sale but I think intake of water is important too... At least for me......haven't had an attack since. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: afish4570
afish4570
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ah man,--Been there---That sure does sound like gout. The pain is so bad, a fly landing on it will hurt. Its caused by eating rich foods, shell fish or too much drinking.

Its one of several reasons I quit drinking 14 years ago----nada----nothing! Beer and Jack Daniels to Winchesters & Colts----don't know whats worse-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The King's disease.

Caused by purines in the food eaten. Shell fish for one are very high in purines. The purines cause an elevated uric acid and the acid creates crystals which are needle sharp. The crystals accumulate in whatever joint, mostly toe joints, and start tearing the joint up due to the crystals points.

I've got a propensity for it. Had about six bouts of it throughout my life. It hurts like nothing else. I've had both of my big toe joints swell up triple their normal size. Enough to burst the skin. Dull throbbing pain that never goes away. I can't even have a tissue tough the affected area.

Only once did I let the doctor put a needle in the joint for lab analysis.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I sure do thank ya'll for the good answers and we will get it checked out. We don't drink and she is very allergic to shell fish and seafood of any kind.This is in the arch of her right foot.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JerryB wrote:I sure do thank ya'll for the good answers and we will get it checked out. We don't drink and she is very allergic to shell fish and seafood of any kind.This is in the arch of her right foot.
Jerry,

I did a Google search on Gout and Gouty Arthritis and it was amazing what came up.
There are many kinds of foods besides shell fish that cause and contribute to gout.

The best thing to do is get it knocked down first then figure out what to do to prevent it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

Man there ain't nothing that hurts as bad as gout. I have it in my feet, and it can really make a grown man cry. My brother has it worse it is in his hands, and legs. He has knots forming from it. Nasty stuff. Naproxen is what I have to take for it.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Doesn't sound much like gout. Doesn't fit the symptoms you described. Sounds a lot like plantar fasciitis. Could be a metatarsal stress fracture if it came on acutely. If the top of the foot is also hurting and it is chronic pain, it could be a neuroma. Best way to know is to schedule a visit to the podiatrist.
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

It has been dianosed by a doctor. You can have pockets of uric acid crystals that form knots, and it can hit in any joint. It's not A -typical, but it is gout.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jerry,
We have a semi retired evangelist at our church he heads up our Bible printing ministry of Bearing Precious Seeds. He had a round with gout a while back and he turned the tides by eating blueberries. He said by the time he had finished the first pint it was worlds better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Joe, I feel your pain! Or, better put, have felt your pain and want no more of it! DON"T try to cure yourself. Hobble on down to the nearest doc and get some meds. Most likely, you'll get two types: little white or pale yellow pills to take once a day, and some green capsules to take 3 times a day. The pain will go away pretty quickly-like overnight. As other posters have diagnosed here, there's a lot of contributing factors. My first bout may have been due to a fondness for beer, but the doc figured more likely heredity. It was a lady doc, and she thought I would have to take the small pills for the rest of my life. Wrong. I started paying attention to what I ate, did light exercise a few times a week, and knocked off the pills on Thursday so I could have beer on Saturday. After about a year of this no gout came back so I quit taking the pills altogether. I then went on a 3 month job to S. Carolina. Before I left, I discussed pills with the doc. She wrote me a prescription to take if I felt it coming, but also said that Aleve would help in a pinch if the attack was mild. Nothing happened except that for 3 months a few more beer sales were registered in Charleston, SC. A few years and a new doc later, I had a major attack Tuesday after Thanksgiving week. I hobbled to my new doc, and he asked what I had for Thanksgiving. Besides the usual fare, I had put a bowl of shrimp out for appetizers. The guests didn't eat many, so I finished off the bowl while watching football after everyone left. "Ahah", says doc." Shrimp!" Shellfish, it turns out, is the biggest Uric acid producer of all foods. Gorging on a bowlful of shrimp is something I'll never do again! I quickly lost my appetite for lobster as well, but I rarely eat it anyway. You've had your first gout experience, Joe. As someone whose been there and had that, I hope it's your last.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

ED
Yer never too old