My 336

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flb
Levergunner 1.0

My 336

Post by flb »

Have had this 336 for many years and walked a lot of timber with it. 150 gr. Hornady, 34grs of H-335, 4 shots 3 bucks. Going to try the 130gr Speer and use my 340 for Antelope next year(if I draw). All good. Love the ole 30-30.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: My 336

Post by Old Savage »

A classic picture.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Except he didn't get his slippers in the picture. :D
NRA Life Member
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Nice Rifle.....I am using the Speer 130 fn bullets myself, over W748 powder for Whitetails here in Kentucky with good results....
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

I am anxious to try the 130 grs so glad to hear it works well. The ones in the pic I cast myself, Lee 150 gr FN with gas check over 25 grs H-335. Just loaded them up so haven't been to the range yet with them. Cast bullets have that old classic feel and look that I like so much. Just a note on the rifle, I hollowed out a good sized hole and put in 2 extra rounds plus matches and firestarter. Hope I never need it but it's there.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

So, how do you like that fiber optic front sight, does it obscure the target?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Now that is a great picture. Good looking rifle and I like the the knife as well as the scabbard . Even rug or throw is fine to look at............... You're doing alright............................Mutt :D
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice setup.Love the woodgrain figure in the butt stock 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

I'm 66 yrs old so the eyes are getting a little weaker and the fiber optic front sight combined with the Lyman receiver sight keeps me in the game out to about 150yds. Since I like hunting timber it works for me. I did refinish the stock and forearm, took off all the white line stuff and added the Kickeeze pad mostly for non slip. I also stripped it down and polished all the moving parts and worked the action filled with a light rubbing compound. It is pretty slick, I was careful not to change any angles or remove actual metal, just polish. Have done the same thing to my 340 in 30-30 but it has a Nikon 2 X 7 on it. Glass bedded the action, refinished the stock etc. I will use mostly the 130 grs Speers in that one. I firelapped both barrels some. Keeps me outa the bars.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Good looking rifle! Is it a 336A? It reminds me of the one my Old Man has and IIRC it's an A.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
flb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flb »

Got me, think it was made in the mid 80's according to what I read. Always had the walnut stock that is on it and a buckhorn rear sight if I remember right. Will have to do some more research on that. I bought it used in late 80's and put the peep sight on the next day then added the front sight just 2 years ago when the eyes got weaker.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

If you get in close there is not a whole lot that you can't take with that set-up.
Nice pic.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Nice gun
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice picture, thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rodfac
Levergunner

Post by Rodfac »

I've got some experience in the Hi-Power target game and here's my take on refinishing a stock. Per the CMP guidelines and several other equally reliable sources: linseed oil, boiled or plain, tung oil are nice for the wood but don't do much for waterproofing it. If you need it weather proof, use a polyurethane. I like the hand rubbed variety because I can control the amount of shine left in the finish when you're done. You need to spend at least as much time on the inside of the stock as the exterior. Of all the areas to be treated, the end grain may be the most important because it absorbs moisture much faster than the flat grain. That means under the butt plate and all (ALL) the end grain areas of the inletted action and barrel channel.
The inletted areas, as they don't show, can be done with Tru-oil or some similar varnish based finish. A couple of coats should do it. On the exterior areas, hand rubbed poly as made by Minwax does a good job and will fill the pores, and if rubbed down with one of the nylon based sanding scrubs, you can retain the flat finish so prized in the hunting fields. Here I use three coats, minimum, then heavily waxed with Johnson's floor wax; the kind you'd expect to find in a bowling alley.
Once the finish is done this way or for that matter any other way, use only that finish to restore it when heavy use demands. IE: use tung oil on a tung oil finish, Linseed oil on linseed oil, and hand rubbed poly to restore a poly finish.
Before dropping the action back into your newly finished stock and fore end, apply a heavy coat of johnson's wax to the metal work. Like your car, it'll protect the metal from a thorough drenching if you're out a week or two and can't strip it down. Pulling an action out of the stock, WILL change your impact points, sometimes by quite a bit... The above finishing technique was used by the USMC teams when they still shot blued steel and wood rifles.
My only objection to a poly finish is the shine. If you want to dull it down, and I do; then use fine #000 steel wool or it's nylon equivalent. HTH's Rodfac