MOVIES - Australia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

MOVIES - Australia

Post by Pop Watts »

Honest answers please.
Has anyone seen "Australia" - the movie that is???
What did you think?
Do you think Australia is or was like it is depicted in the movie?
I am interested in what you fine young men in the US thought.
Any of my fellow Australians wish to comment?
Please note that the movie did depict a Winchester lever action and at least one Colt revolver - and in my opinion they were the only highlights.
Be honest - be brutally honest.
Pop.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Australia - The Movie

Post by C. Cash »

btt

Very interested in what others think of this movie as well.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

It sounds like I should put this one my list of movies to see.
AQHA Life Member
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I saw this movie, and I am still not sure how I feel about it. In some ways, it was very good...but it seemed long. My wife left the theater stating that we WILL own this on Blu-Ray when it comes out. I have never heard her make that statement before..... As for guns, you will see a '95, several SMLEs and a Webley or two.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I'll tell it like it really was - for me!

I usually don't like chick movies - the ones that are advertised to be "sweeping sagas with beautiful scenery and intense human drama" with a focus on a love interest. I like to escape into action, mystery, science fiction, documentary - anything besides love stories that bog you down with an overabundance of touchy-feely stuff. But my wife ardently desired to see the flick, so I took her (muttering to myself) only because I want her to be happy.

I was pleasantly and hugely surprised. It was one of the best movies I've seen this year. It is long, but it takes two little known bits of history (to us US folks) and weaves them into a powerful tale - the invasion of Australia by the same folks who brought us Pearl Harbor, and the fact that our Aussie friends were still depriving the aboriginies of their rights by ordering their police to kidnap the young Aboriginies for cultural re-indoctrination at a time that they were our brave and loyal allies during the Viet Nam war! It just goes to show you that every country has its dark moments (we still have plenty of our own faults before you point fingers, fellow 50 staters).

Anyway, the little Aborigine kid (who has never acted before) who portrayed an Aborigine kid(!) was the one who stole the show. Your heart went out to him. And the love story made sense, it wasn't all Hallmark Hall of Fame love stuff. And there were some great action scenes, with a bonafide villain who gets his in a most appropriate way.

I am surprised that the movie got drummed. For my part, I have recommended it to my whole family, including some relatives who spend a lot of time shooting and hunting and are not inclined to watch soapy stuff. Perhaps the best way to describe it, without giving away any more of the plot, is that it was something like "Quigley Down Under" on steroids, but a little longer.

As for me, it was an A+ movie.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

My wife and I lasted through one-third of the movie before leaving. The movie was so silly and the acting so terrible that I couldn't sit through any more of it. If it were advertised as a "sweeping epic of Australlian proportions staring Abott and Costello," would you still want to see it? Well, I wish someone would have advertised it that way and saved me $20 on admission and $15 on snacks. I was embarrassed to be sitting in the audience. That's the truth from me.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Idiot wrote:My wife and I lasted through one-third of the movie before leaving. The movie was so silly and the acting so terrible that I couldn't sit through any more of it. If it were advertised as a "sweeping epic of Australlian proportions staring Abott and Costello," would you still want to see it? Well, I wish someone would have advertised it that way and saved me $20 on admission and $15 on snacks. I was embarrassed to be sitting in the audience. That's the truth from me.
There - isn't that great? I love how we think so much alike on this forum. We both agree that it was a movie! :P
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

JohndeFresno wrote:We both agree that it was a movie! :P
Roger that. Oh, and the popcorn was great! :D
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the comments.
Well I think like an idiot it seems, or more to the point i agree with Idiot!
For me the movie was an embarassment.
The acting was terrible. I have seen all of those actors (except the litle kid, who has never been on a movie before) do much better jobs.
Brian Brown and Jack Thomson, hang your heads in shame. Nichole cannot act anyway.
David Gulpilil was the only ray of sunshine.
Yes, it did portray a few important pieces of Australian history, good and bad, but what a terrible job it did of it.
If you MUST see it wait for the DVD.
Pop.
HORACE
Levergunner

Re: MOVIES - Australia

Post by HORACE »

I'm almost embarrassed to be an Australian.

This is one dud movie; the history is all ar#e about and the social issues are dealt with in a most simplistic manner.

I never thought I would ever agree with anything Germaine Greer said ..until now.

Our film industry is capable of better.
Horace
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I wouldn't walk across the street to see Nicole Kidman, and Hugh Jackman in this kind of role come on I watch the Duke, Joel McCrea Jimmy Stewart and Randolph Scott................................Hugh Jackman isn't he famous for playing some gay Aussie guy on Broadway ?
Don't waste your money send the ticket price to the John Wayne Cancer Center, you may help save someones life, and you'll be doing something with the Duke.
Apparently the best center of its type in the world.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

When I was killing time in Darwin Australia waiting for my ship, I spent several days wandering around the port and government offices reading about the bombing of Australia and their version of Pearl Harbor. It is quite interesting history if you have a few days. Because of that I will buy the DVD when it comes out just to look over the movies version of what happened. I expect it will be quite interesting.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!