Marlin 39A butt stock dimensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 39A butt stock dimensions

Post by JeffG »

First, Thankyou to all who work so hard at keeping this site open!! I really appreciate the easy access to this vast wealth of experience and knowlwdge. Rest assured, if I ever figure out how to post pictures here they will only be of my best dressed guns. ( I did find the administrator post about how to post pictures, Thanks).

I just got myself a Christmas gift, a Marlin 39A, ser# 71-69xxx. The butt stock has been shortened (the butt plate is no longer flush, and whoever did it was using a dull blade...to bad...but it was cheap$). What I'm wondering what the original length might have been, and what's the best way to resolve it. I am an experienced wood worker and could recreate a new stock or lengthen the old cut one. Your dimensions? Your suggestions? Thanks, JeffG
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome Jeff! I am on the run right now but can get some rough measurements from mine(a brand new one) tonight. Don't know if the dimensions changed over the years. If you have young ones, you might consider leaving ir or altering it to them.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Thanks! does any one know about this resource?
http://macongunstocks.net/53.html
Nice stuff!!
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It might sound silly but why not put a recoil pad on it. Personally I've always liked the feel of the non slip rubber on my shoulder rather than the slick plastic.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I'm with Rusty. I feel a pad, even a thin one is better for regular use. You could also try a slip-on of some type. As for a demention ... check the Marlin web sight.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got a set of 90% inletted stocks for 39a, if you're interested in fitting new wood? Cheap and a bit nicer than original.
By the way, they were usually around 13 1/4-13 3/8" from trigger to back of buttplate.
marlinguy@juno.com
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I can measure mine & send it to you, be aware mine is a crecent type
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Jeff sorry I got distracted. Will try again tonight. What are all the measurements needed?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

L.O.P. from trigger to butt plate on my late 70s manufactured 39a is 13.25"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

LOP on 39a's can generally run from just under 13" to just over 13.5". I'd average around 13.25" and be safe.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/