Got Pants? (kaboom)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Got Pants? (kaboom)

Post by Old Ironsights »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKP1OkR1fA :shock:

Gotta admit he handled it well though...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Got Pants? (kaboom)

Post by homefront »

Something lodged in the barrel?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wont be long before some "expert" comes along to proclaim it a fake as we all know barrels dont blow up like that!! :shock:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Bore obstruction..
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

jnyork wrote:Wont be long before some "expert" comes along to proclaim it a fake as we all know barrels dont blow up like that!! :shock:
That's right, they proved it on Mythbusters. As you know, they are the final authority on firearms phenomena.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OUCH!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

He played that pretty cool to say the least. I'd of had to go right over to the trees and cape my shorts.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i bet he missed :wink: :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

He sure played that cool. They were all more concerned about the bull they were after than the buddy with the blown up rifle. :lol:
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think I would have needed a change of shorts after that if it happened to me. There are some experiences in life that I can live without.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Otto wrote:
jnyork wrote:Wont be long before some "expert" comes along to proclaim it a fake as we all know barrels dont blow up like that!! :shock:
That's right, they proved it on Mythbusters. As you know, they are the final authority on firearms phenomena.

You know, I like Mythbusters. They do some good KABOOMS and they use good science. My sole complaint is that if they can't make a phenomenon happen, they don't think that it can possibly happen. We all know that ain't necessarily so. Just cause they can't shoot through the lens of a telescopic sight doesn't mean Gunny Hathcock didn't do it, among other incidents.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Otto wrote:

You know, I like Mythbusters. They do some good KABOOMS and they use good science. My sole complaint is that if they can't make a phenomenon happen, they don't think that it can possibly happen. We all know that ain't necessarily so. Just cause they can't shoot through the lens of a telescopic sight doesn't mean Gunny Hathcock didn't do it, among other incidents.

Well I bet there's a skull laying around, with a hole in the back, somewhere in S. Nam that is proof it happened at least once.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

...they use good science.
Mythbusters is purely for entertainment. Their "science" is rather laughable and pathetic. None of them are trained as scientists.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

The Gunny Hathcock test was done with soft point bullets, not ball, at relatively close range and the bullets broke up. When they didn't get through, they moved closer so the bullet was even more likely to break up, duh. Real ballistic experts there. I was screaming at the TV.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I would need a change of pants! :shock:

Granted, "Mythbusters" usually botches anything to do with firearms, but I watched the episode about barrel splitting and their scientific method was good. They couldn't recreate the "banana-peel" effect, and they put some nasty obstructions in all types of guns. Their conclusion was that this was "busted". However, if the barrel had some defect, combined with an obstruction, it might still be possible. Looks like this video proved it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buffboy wrote:The Gunny Hathcock test was done with soft point bullets, not ball, at relatively close range and the bullets broke up. When they didn't get through, they moved closer so the bullet was even more likely to break up, duh. Real ballistic experts there. I was screaming at the TV.
I did too. Then calmed down & sent them a couple emailsexplainig where their tests were flawed. Got a thank you and they said they'd foloowup. Heard they did, but ain't seen that episode.

The split barrrel... yep plugged bore.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Before I go hunting I run a patch thought bore and put black tape on the muzzle of gun , that way NO dirt or water can't enter bore . The air in ft of bullet will push tape off long before the bullet gets near it and don't effect the flight of bullet .
Image..Image
Image......Image
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Mythbusters did revisit the bullet down the scope myth and did manage to recreate the shot. I didn't see the episode with the barrel obstruction tests. I do wonder if the super light weight sporter barrels are more prone to the banana peel effect.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

It seems like he may have used his rifle at one point as a support and stuck the muzzle in the ground without thinking about it. I am simply speculating of course, but it does seem like an obstruction near the muzzle (like mud for example) might be the cause of something like this.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.