Cowboy Tutt - Stetson or Resistol???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Cowboy Tutt - Stetson or Resistol???

Post by Old Savage »

Let's vote.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Cowboy Tutt - Stetson or Resistol???

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Resistol
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I've got two or three OLD Stetsons (30 to 50 yrs old) That I just clean up, recrease and keep using.

I don't think I've ever had a Resistol. No reason, just hadn't come across one when the time was right.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Couldn't say. I've never had either. Mine are custom, or a cheapie.
Old Law Dawg
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've been using the Mexican Palm straw hats for a bit now. They are the most indestructable hats out there and far more durable than the bleached white straw hats available. I was put on to them from a rancher in Hollister who's wife showed me his after years of hard use. My first one is from Atwood, and it is a 15X made in Mexico. Laugh all you want, but it has a tighter weave than my next hat, a "gunuine" Mexican Palm hat from Resistol. Lets face it, if you want genuine Mexican Palm, it would probably be made in Mexico. Go figure. They do eventually stain but any hat store will tell you they are more durable than the white straw hats that Stetson or anyone else makes.

If I were going for beaver felt, I would go for a Serratelli. They are a "furrier" company themselves and sell their pelts to Stetson and everyone else who surcharge you. I got a very nice Serratelli felt hat years ago, and would get another in an instant. More hat for the money.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

RESISTOL
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have not wore one since college...25 years...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've had a Resistol Silver Belly since about 1984, and a Stetson Rancher in Black since 2003. Both hats are like new, and I personally see little difference in quality. Both great hats.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wear a Resistol. Just too much for a Stetson. I might someday just so I can say I did, but for now I'm set.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Hats are something I've got too many of. Couple of Stetson's I've had for years,a Resistol,a Bailey,a Serritelli,a Beaver brand and a couple of Akubra's.
I was recently given a new Stetson and sadly it's not half the hat that older ones are. :( (and neither are the Resisol's I've looked at.) The best off the shelf new hats I've seen are.in order:

Serritelli

Akubra

Beaver brand

Stetson

Resistol

The Akubra's from Australia are probably the best deal going right now with the dollar exchange rate. I've gotten a couple from www.hatsdirect.com recently and they are hard to beat. Especially the Camp Draft model which Stetson licensed them to make and brand as a Stetson at one time iirc. It's the hat that the Stetson Open Road was in the 1950's and still made as well as they were then. My one favorite hat will always be my old Beaver brand but the Akubra's are the only non-custom that would be worthy of replacing it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The original topic "........ - Stetson or Resistol???" is kinda like the thread the other day asking "What is best - Winchester 94 or Marlin 336". Lots of room on either side for discussion.
ED
Yer never too old
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

They are both owned and operated by the same company for the last 10 years or so. Get the most beaver you can with the money you got. IMHO
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yup Ed, that's the idea. :idea: That's what we do here - discuss :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Stetsons been made by Resistol for 30 years now,and neither one is a good as they were then, so I suppose it's a mute point.
Buy the one your operatin loan has room for when you need a new hat, might end up bein a Bailey, but at least your wife will say it's ok to wear it to town. :o :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Savage wrote:Yup Ed, that's the idea. :idea: That's what we do here - discuss :D
Ya got that right!!

I lean toward Stetson because that's the brand I've had in the past and my Dad wore Stetsons too. "rangerider7" made a good point. They're both made by the same company now so as to quality the difference is probably in how much "Beaver" you buy.
ED
Yer never too old
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

rangerider7 wrote: Get the most beaver you can with the money you got.
:lol: Words of Wisdom to live by..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It's been 30 years! My how time flys after 40. :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The last JB Stetson I bought was from Johnny Vida, in Western Ranch Outfitters, downtown 16th street in Cheyenne, and I hate to admit it but that was over 30 years ago, he told me then that resistol had bought em out. Then some sombeech stold that hat off the hat rack at the Stockmans Club at the National Western,in 76. :evil:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

One more vote for Serratelli. I bought one from a farm n' feed store in Cody Wy about ten years ago. After wearing it darn near daily since then, it's a bit rough now, but still in good shape. Can't say the same about a Resistol I had prior to this one. Rain or sun, it works great. I'd like to find another just like it.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got a wonderful stetson style straw in Quito Equ. about 1991. Twenty Bucks, I think. I was stationed in Panama and it got crushed in my hold baggage on the way back :evil: It was tight enough to be very water resistant.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Resistol. They're made in Garland Texas, I Think they still are, about 40 miles from my home. They have a factory outlet at the factory with more hats then you can shake a stick at.
Ricky

DWWC
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well just my $.02 but I go wityh Stetson. I've got a couple and they have served me very well over the years hunting and traveling around. They been good to me. As far as cost, at least for me you get what you pay for.

:D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... which is a deep subject, and depending on how ya look it, can be confused with a tunnel... but, RKrodle is right, Resistol owns Stetson, and while I think some Stetsons are still made in St. Joe, MO, they make some and all Resistol's in Garland, TX. 'Bout 12 miles from my place.

Hard to compare the two, snce they use a different "X" system, or useta. IIRC, a 10X Steton is the same percentage beaver as a 30X Resistol; or is it the other way 'round? A phone call to the outlet store will do ya! :mrgreen:

If ya go up to the outlet store ya can find some bargains... just be advised that any black hat is in reality a reject lighter colored dyed. And they'll reshape the crowm to any style you like, while ya wait.

I don't think there's one ounce of difference in either brand. If you're gonna trash around, buy a wool or blend; if you're gonna buy a good hat AND treat it as such (care & cleanin') or want it to last awhile, buy the best beaver you can afford, or even a little more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Resistols last the longest for me. ........and I've worn out a few hats!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Resistol has been my hat of choice for 40yrs, but I usually save those for lighter duty then a lot of cheaper hats I have purchased over the years, for rough duty, because I hate to ruin a good hat. So I wear the cheap hats, for rought farm use, and even hunting, sometimes.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

in the crowd i walked in resistol was worn when you had to do something and stetson when you didn't. it was purely a cost thing i guess and the fact most of us could only afford resistol. heck we wore the resistol even when the work was done and all we had left was play. heck, our play was harder than our work and we took more beating in the play than at work. those were the days when you had folks that did and folks that wanted you to think they did....i miss those days sometimes.

on those occasions when my girlfriend would talk me into going out...you had pressed 13mwz, polished boots, buckle, pressed 12 oz snap shirt, and a lady on the arm, you wanted a stetson cause it it was the only thing that would make a man cry when your partner would sachet in front with her rocky mountains.....

i prefer a resistol :D
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

That made almost no sense at all, and seemed to be based on commercials.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I own both, The one I wear the most is a 40 year old "American Hat Company" made in Houston Tx.
I bought it in Houston 10 years ago for $15.00 at a second hand store. Took it to "Shudde Brothers Hatters" in downtown Houston, they cleaned and reshaped the hat for me for $25.00 and made it new again.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

Travis Morgan wrote:That made almost no sense at all, and seemed to be based on commercials.
it meant we worked in resistols and didn't in stetsons. the stetsons were sorta reserved for dress wear or those occasions we had to glam up for something.

don't know of a commercial based on that, do you?? back then i could buy two resistols for one stetson. that was almost 20 years ago.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

I bought an American brand hat at Luchese Boot Company in 1968...even carried it along to Viet Nam...seemed like a link to home then...and gave it to someone there rather than drag it back.

I've had Stetsons since. I bought several over the years...4X working quality hats. My current hats are 4X from 1993 and far superior in quality to the 4X I picked up in 2006. I also bought a 6x in Belle Fouche SD (little place on the corner... Pete's?) in 2003 that is comparable to the older 4X.

I bought an Atwood buckaroo hat in Sheridan WY and wear it most of the summer. You need a stampede string up at the Quigley shoot or you may provide your friends with an aerial target. They DO NOT call the wind Mariah up there...a 40 mph+ cross wind does interesting things to bullets out of a big bore black powder rifle.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Easy Question, Stetson or Custom forget the Resistols
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just got a Sportsman's Guide catalog in the mail today. They have listed a "fitted Resistol Wool Cisco hat" in either black or buck for $69.97 i'm sure the website would have these and much more.
At the bottom of the description it says"made by Hatco, Inc. makers of Resistol, Stetson, and Charlie 1 Horse brands."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

As far as I can recall my dad and my brother only wore John B. Stetson hats. I have a Stetson but my everyday hat is a Resistol. I have worn Baileys too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15