Winchester 1895 parts and advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Winchester 1895 parts and advice

Post by shooter »

New to this board. Thanks for having me. I have a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 that was made in 1924. When I aquired it, it had been sitting in an attic for 20 to 30 yrs and was in bad shape. I cleaned it up as best I knew how, and it looks a lot better now. I am trying to sell it but the prospects i have are concerned because the receiver has been drilled and tapped for sights and I don't have the sights, and I also don't know when the work was done. They would be willing to pay a little more if I had the sights, but I have no idea where to get them, or if it is worth messing with. The finish on the receiver is gone and it is pitted a little. The barrell is in decent shape, and the bore is good, but the stock has been refinished. Should I just sell "as is", or try to find some parts and spruce it up a little? Any advice is appreciated since I know very little about this particular model.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If you're interested in selling it as is send me an e-mail. I've been collecting 95s for years and have scrounged a few parts.

jmburge45@hotmail.com

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If the front sight is dovetailed you can get any number of sights from Midway,Brownells, or Buffalo Arms. If your front sight is pinned in place then you might have to make one.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The '95s have the small, silver soldered ramp like the later 1886s had. The front sight fits into the dovetail of the ramp and is easily replaced. If your gun does not have the ramp it has been altered from original.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

BenT wrote:If the front sight is dovetailed you can get any number of sights from Midway,Brownells, or Buffalo Arms. If your front sight is pinned in place then you might have to make one.
I dunno about that 95 but, on my Winchester 95 30-06 made by Miroku in 1995 (I would expect them to be the same) the front sight is pinned. However, XS sights has a replacement blade easily installed -

And this is the Williams FP71 that fits the rear - required drilling/tapping -

However, if my memory serves me correctly, the practice of that day was to install a Lyman 38 Type Receiver Sight - an ungainly looking aperture that hung from a long arm mounted near the front of the left side of the receiver with the rear mounting being the elevation set screw. It is available from Buffalo Arms (catalogue page 64) and, at $225.00 per copy, is pricey. I got one and returned it - it is unsightly and lacks the precision of the Williams FP one.

:D
Last edited by OJ on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don't jump to conclusions. There is a possibility your receiver was factory or contemporary D&T for the Lyman 21 or 38 sight, in which case, its correct. But a correct coded "Climbin' Lyman will set you back about 4 C-notes. There should be NO holes going through the lettering on the upper left side.
If its D&T for a Lyman 56 with 2 close holes, well, then its not "right" and will devalue the gun about 30%--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

That's one of the main problems with this gun. When they drilled the receiver they drilled through the lettering. I can't complain too much, though, I got the gun for free. I was just kinda wondering if putting original type sights on it would raise the value enough to warrant doing it or not. I'd really like to turn it into a shooter, but I don't have the time or money to put in to it right now.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
shawn45
Levergunner

Jon boy is that you?

Post by shawn45 »

did you get the pics I sent you?
Uncle shawn
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

yeah, it's me, and yeah I got 'em. You switched the pics though. When I opened the trophy one there was a pic of a gnarly 5 point. The other one was pretty nice though.
shawn45
Levergunner

Yea I did it on purpose to be funny

Post by shawn45 »

call me and let me know how your doing
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hey, why not share the pics with the rest of us? :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shawn45
Levergunner

dont know how to post only email and I didn't kill it

Post by shawn45 »

I didn't use a LA I used a revolver