Winchester M94 Trapper Range Report - PHOTOS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Timberline
Levergunner

Winchester M94 Trapper Range Report - PHOTOS

Post by Timberline »

For those who may be interested, here’s a range report on a Winchester Model 94 Trapper.

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a Trapper chambered in .30-30 Winchester. I’d had one once, traded it away and had long regretted that rash move. I wanted another.

As you know, Winchester began offering the modern Model 94 Trapper with its ultra-short 16-inch barrel in 1980, and made it available almost continuously until 2006. The Trapper I recently purchased is an early one. It was made in 1981. It features top ejection and no exterior safety. Later Winchester Model 94s sported angle ejection and either a receiver or a tang safety.

My new Winchester Model 94 Trapper is exactly what I was looking for – a sound, reliable, used Trapper with a bit of character.

This gun came out of south Texas. It’s hunt-worn and the receiver is polished and browned by time, much carry and by plenty of brush-country deer hunts.

Buying a used rifle, especially one that’s nearly 30 years old, is always a bit of a stuff shoot. You never quite know what you’re going to end up with. I simply hoped for a rifle that still shot well. As it turned out, I was not disappointed.

I’ve now made a number of trips to the range with my new/old Trapper. But before I fired the first shot, I changed its sights.

Winchester equipped the Model 94 Trapper with conventional iron sights. Those sights work well, but I personally prefer a hunting–oriented peep sight on such rifles. Making the switch was easy. Using a delrin drift pin, I tapped the factory rear sight out of the rifle’s dovetail rear-sight mount. Then I filled that barrel dovetail with a Lyman Slot Blank. Next, I installed a Williams FP Receiver sight. This is a superb rear sight, conveniently adjustable and rugged. My M94 Trapper was factory drilled and tapped for this sight. I’ve used the Williams FP rear sight on a variety of other lever-action rifles and have always liked it. I left the plain, factory-standard upright front post as is. Also note the rifle’s rather romantic saddle ring.

There are two reasons why I prefer the Williams FP sight on the Winchester Model 94 Trapper. First, the use of a receiver sight dramatically increases the sighting radius of the Trapper. With the factory rear sight in place, the sighting radius of the Trapper – with its compact 16-inch barrel - is just a shade over 10 inches. By changing to the Williams receiver sight, the sight radius jumps up to almost 19 inches. That a huge increase. A longer sight radius makes for more precise aiming.

Second, I find it easier to shoot well with a quality peep sight than I do with a conventional-blade rear sight. That’s me, YMMV. For me, a good peep sight seems somehow more comfortable to shoot. A lot has been written about how to shoot a hunting peep sight, and usually the writer rambles on about how the rifle’s front bead or post “naturally” centers itself in the circle of the rear peep. I won’t go that far in my description. While the front sight does, for me, tend to seek the brightest part of the circular peep (the center), I still must be VERY deliberate and careful to get it exactly centered. In doing so, I work hard to establish a firm and precise relationship between the front and the rear sight. Only once that relationship is accomplished, do I then actually begin aiming the rifle. It’s hardly a natural process, but it works for me.

When shooting any iron-sight system, I keep both of my eyes open, and I try very hard to relax and trust the sight picture. That sight picture is nowhere near at clear or as precise as with a good rifle scope. Often, the front bead or post appears to cover a good bit of the target at any distance over about 75 yards. That occurs even though I often sight my iron-sighted rifles in using a 6 o’clock hold. With this Trapper, for example, I’ve sighted things in so that the spot I want to hit at 100 yards appears to sit right on top of the post front sight, which is centered in the peep. At fifty yards, I aim the same way but expect the bullet to hit two inches high.

Shooting my new/used Trapper proved quite the experience. Recoil is what I would describe as snappy. There is a bit of muzzle lift at the shot, I suppose because of the short, light barrel. The trigger breaks cleanly for a lever-action rifle, probably due to a fair amount of use. Accuracy, thankfully, proved surprisingly good with the right ammunition.

To date, I’ve experimented with four factory loads for this rifle. From a good bench, those loads tested out as follows. These figures are the average of repeated three 3-shot groups fired at 50 yards on a sunny day with little wind.

Federal 150-grain Soft Point - 1.62 inches
Winchester 150-grain Silvertip - 1.37 inches

Federal 170-grain Soft Point - 3.50 inches
Winchester 170-grain Power Point – 1.12 inches

After that testing, I selected the 170-grain Winchester Power Point load and moved back to 100 yards. At that distance, five 3-shot groups averaged 2.37 inches. To be honest, that’s about a good as I’ve ever been able to shoot with iron sights at that distance. This Trapper shoots!

The other thing I did was shoot each of the tested loads through a chronograph and record the results. I wasn’t really sure how much affect the abbreviated 16-inch barrel on my Trapper would have on bullet velocity. Here are the results. These figures are the averages of 4-shot strings with my 16-inch-barrel Trapper on a 45-degree day.

Federal 150-grain Soft Point: 2,218 fps (this load is advertised by the factory at 2390 fps with 24” barrel)
Winchester 150-grain Silvertip: 2,162 fps (this load advertised by the factory at 2390 fps with 24” barrel)

Federal 170-grain Soft Point: 2,020 fps (this load is advertised by the factory at 2200 fps with 24” barrel)
Winchester 170-grain Power Point: 2,002 fps (the load is advertised by the factory at 2200 fps with 24” barrel)

I believe I’m going to like this Winchester Model 94 Trapper. It measures barely 34 inches from end to end and weighs just 5 pounds 15 ounces. And, it shoots with reliable and pleasing accuracy.

There is something quite special about the Winchester Model 94 Trapper. The truth is that it’s easy to wax poetic about the romance of firearms of this type. Maybe it shows that I’ve been drinking the lever-action Kool-Aid of late, but the following sort of photos seem awfully easy – and fun - to set up. Let me know if you enjoy them.

Who else has a Winchester Model 94 Trapper, and how does it shoot?

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester M94 Trapper Range Report - PHOTOS

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice! Great photos!! Fine shooting! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SWEET! That gun sure has some nice character! 8) Thanks for sharing the pictures and the range report!!! :D :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good report, nice gun, good pics and I like the knife.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Great report and photos!
I could not find a pre safety Trapper so I made one from a 1980 20" carbine. I guess you know how hard they are to find.
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.com ... rsion.html
I have ended up with the same sight set up as you.

Here is a few typical 50 yd groups.

Just a handy little rifle to pack around and have in the truck.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Timberline,

I have a 1980 Trapper in 30-30. It's set up just like yours. Williams FP 94/36, rear sight dovetail blank and factory front sight.

I traded a Dan Wesson .357 with an extra barrel for it in Show Low, AZ in 1980. It's been one of the best 94s I've ever owned. Extremely accurate and after a bit of a hitch totally reliable. The only thing I've had done to mine is a trigger job done by a Phoenix gunsmith.

When my financial bottom fell out and I had to sell most of my guns, this was one of the ones I flat refused to sell.

It will remain with me till they throw dirt in my face.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice photos and range report.Nice "Trapper" :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great report, thanks for posting :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great range report and photos. Thanks for posting.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Nice article, and beautiful rifle.

I got the trapper bug a while back but grew tired of trying to buy one at the prices people were asking for them. (no hard feelings, I'm just too cheep)

So I went and found an inexpensive 1988 336 in .35 rem that really needed some help and have gone to work on it. So far I have sanded and thinned the forend to a Winchester profile (thinned out a lot). I shortened the pull to about 12-2/2", buzzed the pistol grip off the stock and straighted the bottom tang. Then I've torched and straightend the lever. I've cut the barrel off at 16.25" and recrowned it. I've cut the magazine tube off and I'm in the process of setting up the front barrel band just like your trapper with the same front sight setup. I really love the look on the front end of those. (keep thinking of the Duke in "Stagecoach").

If I could locate an honest to goodness trapper ring and mount, I would install one. Does anyone know anybody who makes a replacement ring assembly to go in place of the current safety?

The rifle had a good bore but a fair amount of outside rust to remove. To be a little different, I'm planning on finishing the entire rifle in a plum brown except for the screw heads. Needed something to take up the time here in Upper MI while the temps are -F. (sheez it's been a cold snowy winter!)
de k8bor

Dave
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great report and nice pics...
I like the trappers...
I'ld like to get one in 44mag
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice report and love the pics! Sounds like you got a nicely used Trapper. I never was much of a Trapper fan until I found the one I have on an internet sale site. Someone had rebarreled a Canadian Centennial with a 16" Trapper barrel, used silver plated barrel bands and re-blued the receiver, (a good job btw). I found an upgraded carbine stock and unfinished steel buttplate then fitted it and had it silver plated to match the barrel bands. I've yet to sight it in on paper, but... during a trip to CA last summer my BIL went out to his range and I used the steel silhouettes @ 200 yards... I figure if I can consistently hit the 8" round plates @ 200 from a variety of rests, including off-hand it's reasonably sighted in. As others have said, they're very handy and surprisingly accurate. And that bark I was expecting ain't that bad, but I expect the "bite" to be every bit as powerful as any 26" barrel!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Thanks for posting this Timberline. I love the Trappers and purchased mine new in 1983. It's an angle eject, pre-safety. When I shot it over a friend's chrono, My results pretty much matched yours with the "big three" ammo makers Win., Rem., and Fed. running 2200 to 2250 for 150's and slightly over 2000 for the 170's, and keeps it's favorites under 2" at 100 yards. A very handy and useful little gun!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

k8bor wrote:If I could locate an honest to goodness trapper ring and mount, I would install one. Does anyone know anybody who makes a replacement ring assembly to go in place of the current safety?
k8bor, I put a saddle ring on my Marlin 1895G "Trapper" I bought a Ludwig safety filler and drilled and tapped it to accept the saddle ring.

Sure would like to see some photos of your project!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Congrats on that fine Trapper.

To me anyway, they are the perfect length for every occasion.

And from the looks of those groups, doesn't look like you'll be missing much.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

thank you so much for the usefull information. have the same trapper u have. gonna install a one ragged hole sight and shoot some 170grn. and leverrevolution 160's when the weather breaks and i can get sometime away from work. don't have a chrono, but will report accuracy if i get out. where else are you gonna get a report on a 30-30 from a 16' barrel? love this web site. thanks again :D
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Got two Trappers:

1985 .45 Long Colt, bought brand-new in Dec '85. First year of production, case-colored/hardened; saddle ring, angle-eject, no safety (except operator's brain).

.357 from two years ago, bought used but hardly worn. Year uncertain (S/N in 6240000 range) but angle-eject with the crater-safety, blued receiver, saddle ring.

Both are unmodified with the original open sights, and like everything run through them. The .45 usually gets 8.5gr Unique/250-255 lead, but handles the Speer 260 jacketed soft hollow point over 14.5gr Blue Dot (from the Speer #10 manual) very nicely. (The Speer 260 over 26gr of H-110 clocks at 1675 fps, but kicks a lot. Once those are all gone, they'll come back with Unique. If .45-70 energy levels are necessary, there's the Marlin 1895S.)

The .357 will digest any .357 or .38 Special (except .38 wadcutters), and will put any and every load group into a 6-inch area out to 50 yards using the same sight picture and hold. Don't have to mess around with changing the sight setting. Same aim point: some go higher, some go lower, but all remain in the circle.

Don't have one in .30-30, but maybe sometime down the road an irresistible one might appear.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote:Good report, nice gun, good pics and I like the knife.
+ 1 Congratulations on finding that Trapper! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

I have been intrested in a trapper also. This year I am going to cut my Marlin 336 the 16-1/4". I have also been intrested in the willims site so thanks so much for all this info. I loved the pics........
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

That was an amazing report. Thanks.
My last one I just got rid. A tang safty model that shot ok at first but a couple of years later would simply not shoot.
It was strange.
Years ago I owned a cross bolt safty model that shot as good as yours and I foolishly let it go, idiot :oops:
Both were 30/30.

Glad for you.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

I thank you for your report. I have the same Trapper in a 1979 vintage. Its by far my favorite gun in the locker. I shoot a 170 grain bullet with 31 grains of IMR 3031. It gives me milk jug accuracy at 100 yards and i have yet to shoot it for groups or chrony the velocity.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -