Mossberg 464 - replaced the extractor on my own :)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Mossberg 464 - replaced the extractor on my own :)

Post by handyrandyrc »

Junior Doughty, your informative article on tear down of a Winchester 94 helped me immensely! The Mossberg is patterned after the 94, and many of the major parts seem very similar, if not near identical. I would have taken a long time trying to get it apart, were it not for your guide as a reference.

After tearing into it, and getting the bolt removed, replacing the extractor was a simple task. Simply pop off the old one, and pop the new one into place! Mossberg was kind enough to have sent me a new one via FedEx -- it came very quickly, and I wouldn't have to be without my lever for a month again. With as easy as it was to replace, using Junior's 94 guide, I don't see why I would want to ever send it back to the repair depot again.

According to the SHOT Show report, Mossberg sounds like they did have extractor problems on the 464, but they have now corrected the problem. I a new part is being implemented in the ongoing builds. Those that break will be replaced with the new one, free of charge. They wouldn't say exactly WHAT the problem was, but at least acknowledged there were some growing pains there, and that they had fixed it.

I'm excited to see how it goes! I'll take it out tomorrow to see how she runs! I've got some fun loads all made up - 1.90cc of Trail Boss topped with Ranch Dog 30-30 boolits.
Last edited by handyrandyrc on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Mossberg 464 - replaced the extractor on my own :)

Post by handyrandyrc »

Oh yes, and one more thing I wanted to clear up. While the barrel bands might appear to be plastic to some folks, they are actually made of STEEL. Probably investment castings, but metal nonetheless!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Proceed with caution and goodluck.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Lookin' forward to the range report!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, I wish you good luck too. And I'd like to see some clear pics of this rifle at the range. I've yet to see one in person here in central IL.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Is there a visible difference between the old and new extractors?
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I can't really tell if there is a difference. They both look identical, other than my broken one is missing the 'tooth' (it broke off!) If any difference, it may be a simple heat treat missed or something. They literally look the same.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

I really hope that Mossberg can iron out the problems with this gun. An extractor shouldn't be that big of an issue. I like the looks of them, especially since Win. stopped making the great '94, and with that rear receiver bridge, it should be a stronger action without the fat sides. I would hope that they will one day offer them in calibers such as the .307 and .356 Win. and the .308 and .338 MX.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

For what it's worth, here is a picture of the new extractor, installed.

I think they've gotten it right. Just put 52 rounds through it today without a hitch.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Where do I look to see Junior's '94 tear down instruction ? Sure wood like to learn about how too myself. Didn't find it in search . Not sure where else to look .

Thanks ya'll.................Mutt
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Sorry forgot to include the link!

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Junior Doughty wrote the article -- I found it really helpful to get things apart.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

handyrandyrc,

The new extractor looks to be blued. Pictures of others I've seen look plain unblued. Was your original one blued or not?

Glad you got it up and running. I second Griffs comments. I'd like to read a range report with factory or equivalent ammo.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

Here are the only two pictures I took of the original extractor before I sent it back...

I can't really tell very well -- I had to boost the contrast up as they were too dark. The extra contrast really washed things out, makes the 'bendy extractor' picture look as if someone has taken a Dremel down the side of it and put a groove in it.

I don't recall from memory whether it was blued or not.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Hope Mossberg gets the bugs out of the Model 464......It would be great if they would make a run of 356Win. and 307. With the recent announcement that the Hornady bullets will be avail to reloaders in 30,35,4570 etc. should even make the old 356 into 225 yrd rifles....afish4570 :) :)
afish4570
buckandball
Levergunner

Post by buckandball »

I just left mine at the 'smith this afternoon. After owning it for a couple months I finally got a chance to take it to the local range and after one round ... no extraction. This is a fairly new 464, the first owner being a gun writer who put less than a 20 rounds thru it. I can't think of anything he or I could've done to cause a broken extractor. It was kinda dissapointing being a new rifle. I got home and looked at my Marlins, their extractors are a good bit larger. Hope yours is still doin' ok.
handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I'm going on near 400 rounds now -- extractor is perfect as it should be.

I think you may have gotten an early one with the 'teething problems'. I'm having a blast with my 464, since I got it fixed.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Interesting to me that this thread has come back up. Having just disassembled my first Winchester 94, I'm somewhat surprised Mossberg chose to "clone" this action. There is a lot going on in the "guts" of my Winchester when compared to my Marlins. I'm mostly a Marlin guy, but I'm tickled pink to own my first Winchester levergun. I know the uproar it created when Winchester redesigned or modified the 94 (post-64) in order to lower manufacturing cost. Then the Winchester plant was closed and Mossberg rolls out what IMHO is an attempt at a cost effective (some would say cheap) Model 94. I know the Winchester 94 is a time proven classic, only time will tell what Mossberg has created. I hope you continue to have good luck with your 464.
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

i have both win. and marlins i live the feel or a 94.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 464s have steadily improved in fit and finish. I would own the last one I saw but none of the previous three.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handyrandyrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by handyrandyrc »

I've since rechambered my 464 to Ackley Improved. Have been fire-forming brass, but it's still just as accurate doing that as it is shooting in the old standard chamber! :)

Can't wait to try making up some Hornady FTX rounds in Ackley Improved. My goal is to match or best factory Hornady Leverevolution rounds in velocity and accuracy. 2400-2500 fps with a flex-tipped round out of the 20" would be spectacular.