Leverevolution bullets available

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Leverevolution bullets available

Post by Thunder50 »

Leverevolution bullets are now in stock at Midway. Ordered some this morning :D
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverevolution bullets available

Post by Pathfinder09 »

You will need Hornady dies to get a crimp on the hornady brass. RCBS dies and Lee factory crimp will not work. The bullets may be too long to use with regualr .45-70 brass. Please keep us updated.

Good luck.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

If you're going to load a lot of the Hornady cases and like the Lee Factory Crimp die, it might be worthwhile to grind a bit off the bottom of the sleeve that makes the crimp. That would shorten it enough to put the crimp in the proper location, but you couldn't use it for regular ammo.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The 45-70 bullet is all that I have worked with but you "can" use standard brass IF you use a load that the powder is compressed against the base of the bullet (not many to choose from). The crimp will be just over the ogive break. Of course, the crimp will only hold the bullet from coming out. The compressed load is what keeps it from going in (the most important of the two). This is not unlike what Buffalo Bore does with the Speer bullet in their factory load. Maybe not a good idea for a beginning loader. If not up to finding that compressed load, you will need to trim brass to the length of Hornady brass or just use Hornady brass.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've got to get some for my 30-30 Ackley!
NRA Life Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I was going to try them in my 356 but now I'm not sure. I use a lee factory crimp die. Would it still work with a 356 since Hornady never loaded for it and the crimp groove is of no importance with the Lee die? I load Hornady 200 grain now and don't use their crimp groove. Any comments?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for info.

Since Hornady uses a proprietary powder, it would be interesting to see who can work up a (safe!) levergun load that approaches theirs!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I called Doug Derner at Hornady and he immediately e-mailed me some reloading data for the .30-30 WCF using their component FTX Lever Evolution bullet that is now available.

It was neatly handwritten, but it was a bit uneven, so I transferred all of the information onto a spreadsheet to assure clarity. I double checked the numbers, and included the Hornady disclaimer, below.

Here is the claimed velocity for their factory loaded round:

And here is what Mr. Derner sent to me:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Would love to see a photo of the 45-70 bullet compared to a normal one :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Here you go. 300gr Remington on left.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Thank you Thunder50 that is great, I had no idea what they looked like :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................