High see threw rings!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

High see threw rings!

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I think the reason most of my scoped levers have high see through rings is in this era you only get a 50 or 60 foot shot+dont have time to scope it.The woods are thick and hills and then valleys.You dont have much time for aiming.
I don't like the look ether and if you think back to my lever #14 i think,It had a low scope on it.
The ones with high rings are or have been hunters,Thats my guess on it any way.
WHAT do you think?
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: High see threw rings!

Post by Blaine »

WellSir....I just don't like them at all :P I think If I needed the open sights all that much, I'd leave the scope off in the first place.....Just my 1/2 cent worth :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have lots of high see-through rings, because In bright light I like peeps, but if I have the time for a precise shot, or the light is poor, I like a scope. I haven't gone on a 'critical' enough hunt to need backup irons, and if I did, I'd likely just use a quick detatch scope, since if it's broke it may as well be removed. Maybe sight in a spare to carry too.

I also notice that although I'm a decent enough shot, I don't really 'cheek weld' the way some people do, so I don't care if the scope is low.

I also note that if you want to be within a few minutes of angle at the greatest ranges, the higher the scope the better; I'm not a varmint shooter so don't really care, but you can get more of the trajectory near the crosshairs if you start from a higher position above the bore.

It's one of those things I just did because it seemed to work for me, and I hadn't really bothered to see how it was 'supposed' to be done. I'm too stubborn to change.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:WellSir....I just don't like them at all :P I think If I needed the open sights all that much, I'd leave the scope off in the first place.....Just my 1/2 cent worth :mrgreen:
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Those who like em can have em. None for me thanks. They put the scope too high to be accurate for me. No cheek support. :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I prefer a super low as you can get it mounted low powered scope.

The high mounts are very prone to shooting error caused by cant. Plus they are just ungainly IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I prefer a super low as you can get it mounted low powered scope.

The high mounts are very prone to shooting error caused by cant. Plus they are just ungainly IMHO.

+1

A low mounted scope on 1X is about as fast on target as you can get.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote: A low mounted scope on 1X is about as fast on target as you can get.
Wouldn't it be nice to have one about the compactness of those red-dot ones, but that would zoom up to 10x when you wanted it to! Maybe even the crosshair part stays put, and you slip on the 10x part if you have time for a rested shot...

I do agree the 'cant' factor is worse the higher any sights are; I've had to learn to be careful there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I prefer a super low as you can get it mounted low powered scope.

Me too!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I think they are hideous. To me it's harder to find something inside those rings and over your sights than if you'd just mounted a 2.5x scope (or 1.5-4.5 or whaterver). On top of that if you do use the scope when mounted that high it's hard to find your target as well. After that is the cheek weld issue.
Having said all that. To each his own. For me it's low power scopes w/low mounts or peep sights.
Eli Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Eli Chaps »

Seems to be an endless topic of debate.

I have see-throughs on my 336W and they aren't coming off.

I don't honestly know why I like them but I do. Maybe years of shooting M16's. I don't know. I have ZERO trouble with cheek weld and I shoot that rifle very well. They were on that rifle when I bought it and I don't know that I'd put it on my other rifles, but I don't have issues with them.

To each their own.
wildhobbybobby
Levergunner

Post by wildhobbybobby »

I must confess I never liked see-through rings, so I started out with a predjudice against them. One day I was visiting my favorite gunsmith, who was boresighting a scope mounted in high, see-through rings. The scope did not have enough adjustment to boresight properly, so as I watched, he carefully used hand pressure on the scope tube to bend the rings enough to line up the reticle with the bore. He explained that those high, thinly built aluminum rings were so structurally weak that they could easily be bent by modest pressure.

In addition to the fact that I like a good cheek weld, I also want a strong mounting system that will survive the knocks and bumps that happen in the field without losing zero. See-through mounts are the weakest and most delicate method of mounting a scope (other than duct tape). It is an especially weak system if you are using a large, heavy scope.

If your rifle is well stocked and you have a good scope of appropriate power mounted as low as possible, it should be just as fast (actually for me it is faster, because you don't have to line two sights up, and the scope puts the reticle in the same focal plane as the target) to acquire a target as iron sights, and you will see it better when you do.
Last edited by wildhobbybobby on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Eli Chaps wrote:Seems to be an endless topic of debate.

I have see-throughs on my 336W and they aren't coming off.

I don't honestly know why I like them but I do. Maybe years of shooting M16's. I don't know. I have ZERO trouble with cheek weld and I shoot that rifle very well. They were on that rifle when I bought it and I don't know that I'd put it on my other rifles, but I don't have issues with them.

To each their own.

Might be right, I never liked them but never felt comfortable shooting any AR type gun either. I imagine you can use the scope as a carry handle too. :P

Welcome to the forum. :wink:
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Might be right, I never liked them but never felt comfortable shooting any AR type gun either. I imagine you can use the scope as a carry handle too. :P

Welcome to the forum. :wink:[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark. On topic, I go either way. (scope mounts that is). I can use either and shoot very well in the field.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I tried them in my younger days, and took them right off after shooting the open sights I pridnere got knocked out by the scope. What I would do though is mount a Quick Detach set up. They work well I am told. But if they work for you thats all that matters.