Favorite 357 Mag Rifle Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Favorite 357 Mag Rifle Loads

Post by GonnePhishin »

Question for all those who reload their own. What weight/style of bullet do you like for use in your 357 rifle's for maximum impact?
I have a marlin 1894 with 20 inch barrel.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Favorite 357 Mag Rifle Loads

Post by meanc »

I don't know what you mean by "maximum impact", but a Remington 158gr JSP over 18gr of Lil' Gun has proven excellent medicine on several hogs out of my Win94 Trapper. I have no doubt it'll do just fine on deer too.

I've got a 1000 or so Remington 180gr JHP I was going to load up over 15gr of Lil' Gun, but seeing as how the 158gr do so well, hadn't felt a need to.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I used to have a Marlin 1894CS. My favorite load for exploding things was 17.5grs of 2400 under a Remington 125gr SJHP. Vicious load. Accurate too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

180 gr. cast wfn bullet over 16.0 gr. of LilGun.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

If your not a reloader like me, this is the meat & potato
round I use.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... cts_id=151
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

17.1grs W296 and a 158gr Rem JSP. Kills deer like lightening

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Starline brass (of late), Winchester small pistol magnum primer, 10.4 grains of Blue Dot powder, and 158 grain JHP Winchester bullet. I've used this load for well over twenty years. It will take care of whatever needs taking care of - in other words, it's my general purpose load.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Again, the 158 gr. Hornady XTP-FP over 18 gr. Lil'Gun or the 180 gr. Remington SJHP over 15 gr. Lil'Gun (current load of choice). The 158 gr. bulleted load will do an honest 2000 fps the 180 gr. 1675 fps.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:I used to have a Marlin 1894CS. My favorite load for exploding things was 17.5grs of 2400 under a Remington 125gr SJHP. Vicious load. Accurate too.

Joe
Vicious on which end? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

meanc,

Instead of saying maximum impact, I should have said the most effective for self defence purposes if the need ever arises, since I've decided to take the plunge and reload my own.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hobie,

Do you think that FMJ HP's are the way to go? I've read that cast bullets should not be used in magnum calibers because they'll disintegrate and besides cause unnecessary leading of the bore?

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

UncleBuck wrote:Hobie,

Do you think that FMJ HP's are the way to go? I've read that cast bullets should not be used in magnum calibers because they'll disintegrate and besides cause unnecessary leading of the bore?
HeeHeee. Someone told you that so they could get all the deer.
Maybe they were talking the super duper magnums. Cast bullets in the 357 can be run well over 2000fps with no leading if they fit the bore.
Some 30 cal boys can run em upwards of 3000fps.
On my 357s I worked my load up to get best accuracy with an LBT style bullet and never got leading. Cast bullets, when run right, will season a bore like a cast iron skillet and never need cleaning. No BS.

A hard-cast 357 LBT-style bullet will punch a 3/4" hole that looks like a sharp needle was run through. You can eat right up to the hole.

This pic is the inside of a rear quarter after passing through about 3' of deer.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Tycer speaks the truth. A good cast bullet of proper alloy and fit is hard to beat. There are a lot of horror stories about shooting cast bullets, mostly because people don't know what they need in order for them to perform as well as jacketed bullets.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

UncleBuck wrote:Hobie,

Tycer's right, cast bullets are just fine at 1600-1800 fps. They don't disintergrate. Just use a gas check design. I just prefer these bullets. I'm not a fanatical devotee of the cast boolit... :wink: (but I do shoot a lot of them!)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Okey Dokey... I really should have this post archived and readily accessible given the number of times I've posted it... :? 8)

180gr Hard Cast WFN of choice over 15.5-16gr of LilGun (work your own safe load up please...)
Accuracy (Rossi 20", 50yds, Offhand)
110 yds:
Deer:
Damage (hit the shoulder ball-joint... lots of frag damage):
Close Range <50yds?:
Soft Tissue (lung) Damage - yes, you can eat right up to the hole. Almost no bloodshot meat:

The 70% meplat 180gr Hard Cast Gas Checked bullet at 1800fps MV is realy hard to argue with.

Though I think I may try Joe's load for Coyotes...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Tycer,

very impressive picture :o

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Old Ironsides,

even more impressive pictures :o :o

Thanks to all for their replies & advice :D

Blessings, UncleBuck :D

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

OI, you have me convinced. do you use wheel weights or 30:1 or 20:1 lead. Impressive. I have stopped my reloading press till I can get me some of those!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Air Cooled Wheel Weights.

At least 2 of us have these moulds - SteveB & I, and I also have a slightly modified design that "fixes" a COAL problem with the C358-180 crimp groove.(see Junior's page for explanation)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm using the same mold. Air cooled wheel weights have been working fine for me too. Slight lengthing of the rim openings in the feed rails solved the feeding issue in my Rossi.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:OI, you have me convinced. do you use wheel weights or 30:1 or 20:1 lead. Impressive. I have stopped my reloading press till I can get me some of those!!!!

I traded OI a couple PB pistols for some of his SUPER BULLETS.
He keeps teasing me with casting updates. :D
My Dillon's all set up for pounding out a bunch of his deer slayers!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote: ...I traded OI a couple PB pistols for some of his SUPER BULLETS.
He keeps teasing me with casting updates. :D
My Dillon's all set up for pounding out a bunch of his deer slayers!

jb 8)
I don't tease... just give production updates since it takes me so long... :?

FWIW, I'm sending a few of the C358-180RFs along with the big pile of "OI Mods" so you can compare. 8)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just jokin' :D

They get here when they get here. I aint goin noplace :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have to get one of those molds. That bullet looks like it would really fill the upper nitch I was hoping for my .357 rifle. I could really become a one caliber shooter with the versatility of the 190 grain thumper you are showing there, down to mild wadcutters for small game and plinking. I am really excited about these and I can't believe I have not seen those bullets in a post here before. What is a good source for one of those molds??
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I have to get one of those molds. That bullet looks like it would really fill the upper nitch I was hoping for my .357 rifle. I could really become a one caliber shooter with the versatility of the 190 grain thumper you are showing there, down to mild wadcutters for small game and plinking. I am really excited about these and I can't believe I have not seen those bullets in a post here before. What is a good source for one of those molds??
Hey Mike,
Seems you and I are thinking the same thoughts where the 38 /357
is concerned. If you do get set up and cranking these out, I would be
more than interested in purchasing a box or two every now and then
to feed my B-92.

Mike :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Here's what that bullet does hard-cast.
It's hard to see in the photo, but the mark is a divot, 1/8" deep with a corresponding bulge on the opposite side. That's the only shot with hard-cast and it's at 100 yds. There have been a couple hundred other shots on that steel swinger in 357, 38, 45 jacketet and cast at 25 yds.

Kind regards,
Tycer
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

The person who told that big lie about cast bullets probably cast his own and was trying to hog the lead supply. If you want to know about cast, join the Cast BOOLITS forum of which I'm a member. Go by Cajun Shooter There. They could stop making the copper jacket bullet today and it would not bother me in the least. What bothers me is the Do Gooders trying to outlaw lead weel weights for the environment. When last did you see a squirrel chewing on a WW?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK Mike (& Mike) ... here's the Skinny...

We seem to do a group order from Lee for a C358-180RF mould about once a year over on CastBoolits... BUT... it's for a giagmantic 6 cavity mould and from start of "I want one" ordering to delivery can be 6 months or more.

OTOH, if you are a 1-2 cavity caster (like I prefer) it makes more sense to take the data from Junior's site: http://castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s3.htm and plug it into the online form at Dave's site http://www.mountainmolds.com/ send about $80-$90 and have him cut you a 1-2 cavity mould to spec.

You can get a mould from Mountain Molds in about 6 weeks (if he's busy) or sooner if he's not.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'd be willing to loan my 6-cavity out. I need to cast a bunch next weekend, then it'll be free for a bit.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Tycer wrote:I'd be willing to loan my 6-cavity out. I need to cast a bunch next weekend, then it'll be free for a bit.
If things are slow you could get into the custom cast bullet business.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:
Tycer wrote:I'd be willing to loan my 6-cavity out. I need to cast a bunch next weekend, then it'll be free for a bit.
I may have to sacrifice some of my precious WWs to do just that...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

awp101 wrote:
J Miller wrote:I used to have a Marlin 1894CS. My favorite load for exploding things was 17.5grs of 2400 under a Remington 125gr SJHP. Vicious load. Accurate too.

Joe
Vicious on which end? :?
Vicious on the receiving end. There's practically no recoil. Noisy as can be though.
Anything with lots of water in it simply explodes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Hobie wrote:
I'd have to buy a Star Sizer.

There's a guy on Gunbroker selling big bullets for $14 a hundred. It takes me more than an hour to process wheel weights into ingots, remelt the ingots, cast, sort, fit the gas check, lube/size, list, answer emails, package, print postage, and mail. Does not seem worth it.

Yet.
Kind regards,
Tycer
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OI,

How do you suppose that Lee 180 flat nosed bullet and your load would work out of a Ruger BH .357?

And if you do try that load I mentioned on coyotes please let me know how it works.
The old Hercules data claimed 1700fps or better with that 17.5grs of 2400 out of their test barrels. I "think" they were 7.25" barrels. So if they are even close to that it should be a screamer out of your Rossi. I never did chronograph any of them.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm not sure how "safe" a 16gr/180gr load would be out of a BH... I've fired a couple out of my SP101... but still...

I'll have to buy some of those 125s...

I've been shooting 358156HPs over lighter loads of 2400, but not the 125s over heavy...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'm not sure how "safe" a 16gr/180gr load would be out of a BH... I've fired a couple out of my SP101... but still...

I'll have to buy some of those 125s...

I've been shooting 358156HPs over lighter loads of 2400, but not the 125s over heavy...
That 17.5grs with 125JHP load went through my old Marlin 1894CS like it was nothing. But it locks up my S&W Mdl 28. I have to pound the extractor rod to get the brass out of the cylinder. When I shoot it from my OM BH the cases just fall out.
I don't think my BH would have a problem with that 180 load as long as it wasn't over 40K PSI. Might be a hand full though.

Joe
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

No idea what the actual kPsi is... Extracted from the SP101 OK... but that doesn't mean anything.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I will get one of those double molds on order. I have about 60 pounds of 30:1 ingots ready to pour. Mike, when I get a mold, I will be glad to get you some bullets pushed your way. I am so very excited about this. Very Kewl
Mike Johnson,

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:I will get one of those double molds on order. I have about 60 pounds of 30:1 ingots ready to pour. Mike, when I get a mold, I will be glad to get you some bullets pushed your way. I am so very excited about this. Very Kewl
Like Tycer, I'm willing to loan out my 6-banger until you get yourself (mike or mike) set up...

My custom 1 cavity is MINE though... ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I will get one of those double molds on order. I have about 60 pounds of 30:1 ingots ready to pour. Mike, when I get a mold, I will be glad to get you some bullets pushed your way. I am so very excited about this. Very Kewl
Thanks much Mike.
And do take your time; there is no hurry at my end.
I am still eagerly waiting to get my Browning 92 in hand.
John (Shupps Gunsmithing) is still working on installing the
tang and folding sights. Talked to him Thursday, he said
he had to tear the gun down and put it into a gunsmithing jig.
He said something about the tang not lining up to the rest
Of the rifle. He reassured me it will be a real shooter when
He gets done with it. :D
Firestick
Levergunner

Post by Firestick »

You guys have me itching to start casting my own, now. Where is the best place to learn all the ins and outs?

Ira
Spanish Fort, AL
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Firestick wrote:You guys have me itching to start casting my own, now. Where is the best place to learn all the ins and outs?

Ira
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Firestick
Levergunner

Post by Firestick »

Thanks for the direction you gave me OI. I learned an awful lot at the castboolit site. Here is my first production. I can't wait to load and shoot.

Old Ironsights wrote:
Firestick wrote:You guys have me itching to start casting my own, now. Where is the best place to learn all the ins and outs?

Ira
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spanish Fort, AL
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So, what mould/boolit is that?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Ironsights wrote:So, what mould/boolit is that?
I second that very question. :)
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Looks like the Lee 158 SWC TL to me.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Firestick
Levergunner

Post by Firestick »

Yes, it is the TL358-158-SWC.
Spanish Fort, AL