black tail deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

black tail deer

Post by colo native »

During our recent Illinois Late Season Deer hunt, I had the rare opportunity to finally see the, very rare, Illinois Blacktail Deer. WOW, what a thrill!!! I was sitting there, sipping a hot cup of coffee, and suddenly, it appeared. I've heard several stories of the Blacktail from Grandpa, but have never seen one myself. But then I got to thinking, is it legal to shoot the Blacktail? I got out my hunting regs and checked it out. Let's see, this is late season, anterless only...........yep, NO ANTLERS. I read on, illegal to shoot albino deer........Nope, it's not albino!! I read on, illegal to shoot over baited field.........nope, looks free ranging to me. To make sure, I text the picture to one of my hunting buddies.........should I shoot? He comes back.......is it a mature one? I answer........look's to be. He replies.........go ahead and shoot and let me know if you need help getting rid of the meat. But then I get to thinking, man, this one will be a lot bigger next year. So I hold off. Man, I can't wait till next season!!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: black tail deer

Post by Blaine »

Blacktail or Mule? Here in Wa, the main difference is what side of the Cascades they are on and it can be expensive not knowing the difference between whitetail and blacktail....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Probably 98% Mulies here with a smattering of black tails and very very very very rarely a white tail will sneak across the border from OR into CA for a brief visit but they seem to know the CA deer season and go back to OR to evade it.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think these blacktail come from the Angus mountain range and were imports from Scotland... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sort of reminds me of the story of Randolph, the brown-nosed reindeer. He was the one that was behind Rudolph (Santa was known for sudden stops).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

El Chivo, that is good :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:roll: I can't believe I didn't look close at that picture......Got me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

BlaineG in Colo its aw slow elk... kinda brown, white face, ya kno
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That's actually a subspecies called the "Longtail Black Deer". Occasionally, one of those gets bagged here, usually by city folk who are unfamiliar with the game they are "hunting". :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

They call them critters "Slow Deer" where I come from

Bob A
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Shoot one in New Mexico and you will recieve a visit from some unfriendly boys know as The Cattlemans Association, known to be quite disagreeable under these circunstances.
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

looks like a cow to me :twisted: may be i need new glasses
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

You should have shot it! It was right there! I bet that will never happen to you again!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well we also have the REAL blacktail deer here! Just west of the Cascades, and they generally have smaller racks than their eastern Oregon cousins the mule deer.
As for that blacktail in the picture; I think you need a doe tag for balcktail to harvest that one! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

marlinman93 wrote:As for that blacktail in the picture; I think you need a doe tag for balcktail to harvest that one! :wink:
That's udderly ridiculous!!! :mrgreen:
ED
Yer never too old