How Many People are killed by Grizzlies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

How Many People are killed by Grizzlies?

Post by El Chivo »

each year?

Also Black Bears?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Not the facts but only my opinion, I would say less than 5 a year by grizzlys and 1-2 a year by black bear.
hillclimber
Levergunner

Post by hillclimber »

I'd sure rather surprise a black, if I had to spook one or the other.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Id say its more then 1 and less that a killed in malls and school shootings :shock:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I would say the threat is greatly exagerrated, primarily to enhance reputations. Compared to dogs, cattle, snakes, bees, flies, mosquitoes, ticks, etc. it isn't enough to matter.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

bear attack stories sell magnum rifles. never know when a giant armor plated great bear will migrate to your woodlot
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I run in to black bears on a regular basis, mostly when I am fishing small creeks. While I do carry a sidearm it is for two legged animals and their henchmen (bulldogs). I have been charged by a bear once on my neighbors land while I was picking apples (I guess the bear thought they were hers) I figure if I give them their space they will leave me be. I dont take them lightly because I have seen what they can do and its not pretty. there are not enough attacks in my area to change my sidearm from a .40 or .38 to a supermag.
Last edited by lever-4-life on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Break on through to the other side!!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I guess the only one that really cares about the potential threat of a bear attack is the Poor Fella that gets to experiance it first hand! :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Have had a run in w/ two black bears. They were both looking for food and i really didn't feel threatend but was very happy I was armed both times. The dogs let me know that they were there. Long before I would have.

This was just after she was pushing on the window.
Picure doesn't do her justice. She was at least 6' when she stood up.
This was last summer. The first one was much more aggressive. Really bashing on the cabin door. Once the dogs went off it lost intrest.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

In his book "Killer Bears"
http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Bears-Mike ... 1585742511
Mike Crammond has collected information on a number of Bear attacks on humans, some in which a human was killed.

The chapter entitled "The Century's Worse Attack Case" tells the story of how a single black bear killed three men while they were fishing in Ontario's Algonquin Park.

His data, which is now about 20 years old shows:
Blacks: 19 killed in 102 attacks (19%)
Grizzlies: 16 killed in 107 attacks (15%)

Interestingly, that data shows that you have a better chance of survival with a Grizzly rather than a black!

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

That's cuz the griz kills ya and comes back later to eat you. The black tries to eat you right away. (so play'n dead don't work) :shock: :lol:
Slow is just slow.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

One of my boys had a book out of the library that was all about bear attacks .... over 100 years worth, written by a fellow who researched that subject. Very interesting read, including a chapter on the psychology of bear attack victims.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I always smile a bit when I hear people talk about little risk from black bears and it's mostly all hyped. Granted, I spend a bit more time in the woods than the average.......bear :wink: , but if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone in the woods.

I was once followed by a black bear for about a 1/4 mile or more inside the brush (reprod actually) next to me before coming out in the open and coming right at me. Hearing something was in the brush I would stop every so often and whatever it was would stop too. Finally getting to an area where whatever it was would be in the open, here he came. Head down and right toward me after looking me in the eye. Luckily I had a Winchester trapper in .44 mag and hammered him in the chest with a 270gr cast at about 1500fps. He rolled, jumped up and headed back the way he came. Blood was EVERYWHERE for about 250 yards and then it started drying up. I caught up with him the next day after losing the trail. About 400lbs live weight and nothing wrong with him that was visible to the eye. Hair was good, teeth were good :shock: and he was big and fat as should have been in August.

Was always glad I had that rifle with me, I have never been sure if I could have gotten my pistol out, though with something that I could hear was following me, I most likely would have had it in my hand.

I'm a big believer in bear attacks.

Jeff
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not me - never been killed by a grizzly. 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I read somewheres that blackies get more of us simply because of proximity.
Their everywhere. Bound to tangle with people more.
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Saw a show on TV (so I know it has to be true! :mrgreen: ) about bear attacks.

The experts on that show said that the griz is more inclined to attack when a person is near than a black bear. (more attacks by griz). And black bears that attack are usually hunting the human for food (higher percentage of kills per attack).

I do know that when we used to backpack and camp in the Smokey Mountains we were MUCH more afraid of the wild boar than the black bears.
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, let's see, I know a year or so ago two were killed and eaten. Name Tredwell ring a bell.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

Not enough. There's still about 6 billion left.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That Treadwell guy had it comming. Sooner or later you just push your luck too far.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Back in '81 while living in Idaho I was killed by a Grizzly Bear while picking wild mushrooms but it really made my wife angry so I had to unkill myself. :wink:
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

GANJIRO wrote:Back in '81 while living in Idaho I was killed by a Grizzly Bear while picking wild mushrooms but it really made my wife angry so I had to unkill myself. :wink:

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA...I bet you had quite a time sewing yourself back together...BWAHAHAHHAHAA.

Ji,,you're nuts! :D :D :D

Leverbob
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

GANJIRO wrote:Back in '81 while living in Idaho I was killed by a Grizzly Bear while picking wild mushrooms but it really made my wife angry so I had to unkill myself. :wink:
What HA HA
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Don't think there are any in Ia.
Neighbor lady loved animals and had a couple of dogs-Heard she had a bear, but never did see her bear :lol:
Dave
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I lived in Alaska for 11 years and it seemed like every year someone made the newspapers. They would get really chewed up bad! Most would not survive, but those who did got some serious stiches. I still go up there to hunt, so I always pack my 1895GS in 45-70/457 WW Magnum.
I was charged by a small Grizzly (6 footer) back in 1989 on a Moose Kill. My buddy shot a moose and we were gutting it out. I shot her at 15 yards with a Pre-64 Mdl 70 in .338. I had my own hand loads. 250gr Speer Grand Slams @ 2600 FPS. I put 3 in the bear and one in the dirt...my knees were shaking for about an hour afterwords. What a rush :) I made a rug out of her and she hangs on my living room wall. That was almost 19 years ago...it took place on my 36th B-Day at 0800....

Sure glad I had that good USMC training. Those who run don't fare too well :!:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ganjiro, I think you were picking and eating the funny mushrooms!

Jarhead, good job. I know it would be hard to make a stand when something that big is charging, but that's what needs done.

Semper Fi brother.
Old Law Dawg
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

kimwcook,

"Dress Blues, Shower Shoes, and a Light Coat of Oil"

India 3/5, 1st Mar Div.

Semper Fi Brother...
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

We live in the center of a small town on the Oregon coast. Over the last few years builders have encroached into the black bear's territory in town. Now we have them wandering through our back yards day and night. They haven't hurt anyone yet, but a couple of months ago a State Trooper or sheriff's deputy had two smaller bears come at him on a residential street and he had to shoot both of them. There are rumors in the neighborhood next to us about people feeding and petting them , stupid, stupid! We are now waiting for our first story about an attack. My guess it will be a child or pet.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Gun Smith wrote:We live in the center of a small town on the Oregon coast. Over the last few years builders have encroached into the black bear's territory in town. Now we have them wandering through our back yards day and night. They haven't hurt anyone yet, but a couple of months ago a State Trooper or sheriff's deputy had two smaller bears come at him on a residential street and he had to shoot both of them. There are rumors in the neighborhood next to us about people feeding and petting them , stupid, stupid! We are now waiting for our first story about an attack. My guess it will be a child or pet.
I heard about this on the news a while back. I'm over in the valley and we have plenty of bears here, too. I hear the coast is loaded.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

2ndovc wrote:That Treadwell guy had it comming. Sooner or later you just push your luck too far.
"You're a big bear, aren't you Mr. Chocolate..."
(You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid...) :evil:
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

kimwcook wrote:Ganjiro, I think you were picking and eating the funny mushrooms!
They looked SO fresh and yummy growing in the cow patties... :wink:
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

How many people are killed by grizzleys

Post by dgr416 »

Read Alaska bear tales Its anm awesome book of bear attacks.A guy from our town got attacked on Kodiak and his hunting buddy shot at the bear on top of him.He hit his buddys leg with a 340 Weratherby.The gun hurt him more than the bear.The former mayor of North Pole got mauled a few years back and survived.He really got bitten up.The bear broke both his arms and bit through his skull.He survives with many scars and a couple of opertations.Bears will make you say your prayers.My first hunting trip I had 7 in one night try to get into the tent with me.You can never have too big of a gun in your tent at night.I use to use a 338 win mag as my tent gun now i use a 416 rem mag.At 10 feet a .50 is not to big.If you ever get charged you will never forget it.I have had alot of close calls but no bites thank goodness.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

GANJIRO wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Ganjiro, I think you were picking and eating the funny mushrooms!
They looked SO fresh and yummy growing in the cow patties... :wink:
:lol: " Still crazy after all these years :lol:
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

When I lived in Alaska, a lot of fellas use to play Macho with their 44 Magnum pistols :lol: I use to tell them that can always use it on themself's in their tent if a Griz comes a knocken' :!:

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life. :D
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

There was 5 attacks that were reported in MT this last year 3 guys were hurt pretty bad, 2 of the bears were killed by the hunters.
Heres a couple of photos of a boar that visited me this last april and one week later he was at my neighbors ranch 50 yds from the house where this photo were taken. I would be guessing at his weight 500 to 600 lbs? his front foot print measured 63/4" to 7", best I could figure it, in the mud, he stayed in the area all spring but wasnt a problem. Sure will make you grab a gun when you go out at night. danny
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

I worked at Yosemite NP back in the 70s as a security guard for the concession company. The place was overrun with Brown bears. You could always find them wherever there was food. Any dumpster was usually full of them. I was chased back to my truck on 3 occasions by really mad Bears. The guys told me when I started, that if you just jingle your keys at them they would run. Yea that worked, they run all right, straight at you! It was really sad to see them reduced to garbage hunters. There were a lot of Bears killed because they had lost any fear of people. Can't interfere with recreation you know. :(
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

chuckles wrote:I worked at Yosemite NP back in the 70s as a security guard for the concession company. The place was overrun with Brown bears.
Are you sure they were Brown Bears? Brown Bears and Grizzly are the same species and I believe the last California Grizzly was killed back in 1922.
I saw ALLOT of Black Bears there back in '78.
chuckles
Levergunner

Post by chuckles »

GANJIRO wrote:
chuckles wrote:I worked at Yosemite NP back in the 70s as a security guard for the concession company. The place was overrun with Brown bears.
Are you sure they were Brown Bears? Brown Bears and Grizzly are the same species and I believe the last California Grizzly was killed back in 1922.
I saw ALLOT of Black Bears there back in '78.
Nope, not sure at all. You are most likely correct. I seem to remember people calling them brown bears but then again 1972 was a while ago. Fun place to work back then, especially with the Brn/Blk Bears AND the tourist wimmens. 8)
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I had a neighbor lady who did not believe in curtains. I saw her bear on a regular basis. Unfortunately I was never attacked by her bear.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

chuckles wrote: The guys told me when I started, that if you just jingle your keys at them they would run. Yea that worked, they run all right, straight at you!
Never ceases to amaze me how far men will go for a practical joke :shock:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

SJPrice wrote:I had a neighbor lady who did not believe in curtains. I saw her bear on a regular basis. Unfortunately I was never attacked by her bear.
You sure that was a bear? Sounds like a Beaver to me? :lol: Beware :!: Them Beavers got some sharp teeth :o
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Plus I found this on how to survive a bear encounter:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bears/
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

James Riley wrote:Not enough. There's still about 6 billion left.
+1 :D