Federal Bulk .22s - price and availability at Walmart

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Federal Bulk .22s - price and availability at Walmart

Post by mod71alaska »

I was at the Rockland, Maine Walmart store yesterday, about an hour from where I live, and while there I checked out their ammo. I knew from a previous trip to the store that this Walmart was one of the stores that had discontinued gun sales. (I was told on that earlier visit that the entire Walmart chain eventually no longer will sell firearms, but the process of closing down the gun departments is largely random, one store at a time.) As I approached the ammo shelves they looked a little sparse, but there they were...Federal Bulk .22s! :D I bought 3 boxes and left 5 on the shelf. I asked the salesman about continued availability. "Let me check," he said, and waived his scanner over the bar code. "That's it! There are none in the warehouse so I have no idea when we'll get more in, if ever!" I wish I had had enough money to buy the other 5 boxes, but my gun fund already was very over drawn for 2009. The price was $14.47 per box.

Are you having similar ammo experiences at Walmart in other parts in the country?

What's your Walmart's price for bulk Federal .22?

Hey, it's the 1st of March...good shooting weather is coming soon!!! :D :D :D
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Federal Bulk .22s - price and availability at Walmart

Post by Buffboy »

TB Good, My opinion of Wally World is that they want the store to make money. If they accomplish that by selling guns and more importantly, the things that accompany firearms, then they will keep selling firearms, if they don't, they won't. Talk to any firearms retailer and they will tell you the same, they make far more on accessories and clothing than firearms.

If you "want" your local WalMart (each store has it's own individual licensee, there's a individual's NAME on that license and it's his #$$ on the line with BATF&E for every regulated sale) to carry firearms, you have to shop there and buy there. They have to see stuff moving off the floor to your car. Otherwise they look to the space that's devoted to guns/hunting/fishing/ammo and think gee, some more comblock junk would make lots more profit(with considerably less hassle from alphabet.gov agencies) with this floor space and that's what they do. It's that simple, it's the same with any chain including Cabellas stores. The guns bring them into the store but Cabellas makes far more money on the other stuff than the profit margin on firearms.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
cworetired
Levergunner

Post by cworetired »

Friday night I got the last 4 boxs of federal bulk at $13.47 a box. They also had some new Winchester X-Pert HV for $12.97 bulk. I use the regular Winchester X-pert and asked if they had more coming and the manger said in a few weeks.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

T B Good wrote:I believe the Wal-Mart is NOT our friend. They moved in and under sold all the other local gun and sporting good stores, which now are closed. And now they are abandoning us. Gun and ammo control through Wally World.
Another load of stuff.
ED
Yer never too old
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Went in today and they had no ammo but shotgun; just a bunch of empty shelves. I was wondering if they were going to quit handling it.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I went into the local WM for about 6-8 weeks with no success in getting any 22 ammo. About 2 weeks ago, I went in on Wednesday, same story, then remembered hearing that Thursday is stock day at that store. I stopped on Thursday and they had Federal and Remington 22 ammo in stock. The federal was 14.47 per brick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Many, many WallyWorlds in my area up and down I-5. ALL are selling their popular ammo as fast as they can get it in.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Consider youself lucky, all the Wallys down this way quit ammo a few years ago. No guns, no ammo, no nothin'. Ain't po-lit-ic-ly co-rrect, you see. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

They are out near me. I asked the manager he said "its not normal, and I have no idea when I'll get more"
the only ammo in stock was a little shotgun ammo, a couple of boxes of premium centerfire rifle ammo and a few boxes of 17HMR.

I ordered a case of 22lr from a local gunshop. It arrived in less than a week. The price had increased, but only 5%.
Hillbillygunsmith
Levergunner

Post by Hillbillygunsmith »

Wal-Mart in CA. did not quit firearm sales because they wanted too. They were shut down by the Ca. Dept. Of Justice in a agreement reached by them and the Justice Dept.
It seems that Wal-Mart failed to train their employees in the laws pertaining to the sale of firearms and how to fill out the proper paperwork involved especially here in CA. As a result during a audit by the CA. Justice Dept. Wal-Mart could not produce the guns that they should have on hand and no paperwork to show who it was sold too. Also violations on the 10 day waiting period we have in this state. These violations were numerous and thoughout many of their Ca. stores.
Wal-Mart to avoid criminal prosecution and heavy fines aggreeded to stop selling firearms and the state accepted this in lieu of criminal action. I got this information from one of the Justice Dept. investigators that conducted inspections on all Ca. holders of Federal Firearm License and CA. State firearms certificates when I was still in law enforcement and also had a FFL for gunsmithing work part time. I finally gave up my FFL due to all the extra requirments put out by CA. Ca. was doing it's best to shut down firearm sales when this occurred with Wal-Mart. :shock:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Modoc ED wrote:
T B Good wrote:I believe the Wal-Mart is NOT our friend. They moved in and under sold all the other local gun and sporting good stores, which now are closed. And now they are abandoning us. Gun and ammo control through Wally World.
Another load of stuff.
Don't pussyfoot, Ed - tell us what you're REALLY thinking! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hillbillygunsmith wrote:Wal-Mart in CA. did not quit firearm sales because they wanted to. They were shut down by the Ca. Dept. Of Justice in a agreement reached by them and the Justice Dept.... Wal-Mart to avoid criminal prosecution and heavy fines agreed to stop selling firearms and the state accepted this in lieu of criminal action.
Correct.

Mike D. -
Maybe It's because your stores are too near Suck-a-Tomato (our State Capitol). Here in Central California they still sell a lot of ammunition and hunting stuff; just no firearms.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hit or miss here. The new Wally-world nearest me does not sell firearms, but does a brisk business in ammunition and some other hunting/shooting/outdoors supplies. Their ammo case has been mostly bare since a couple weeks before the election. I can't remember the last time I saw Federal bulk packs in there, but they were about $14.47 or so. I can remember picking these up for $6.97 a decade ago when Bass Pro Shops opened up a store about 50 minutes from me!

I check every time I go in, and about 1/10 the time can score a brick of Winchester X-Pert's for $12.97. They arrive and are gone in the same day, so it is just dumb luck if I happen to be in there.

The Walmart in Rock Hill (SC) - about 15 minutes from my house - does still sell firearms, and according to them, they have no intention of stopping this.

Walmart is the last firearm retailer in the country. I can understand them looking at sales on a store-by-store basis. This is why they are so large - they understand their local markets extemely well. I don't want to see them stop selling guns anywhere, but I'd rather they pull guns from stores that simply don't move them and focus on those that do - and keep the prices low at the latter ones.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I bought wheelbarrow loads of those bulk packs at Wallys at 8.87 back only a little over a year ago. That was time to make your haul. We had a Sport store chain in Ks. called Rustys, that went out of business about 4 or 5 years ago, they had Federals in the 50 count red box/500 brick. $6.00 bucks for 500 as a closeout. We got a few cases of those. I didn't load up on 1886 rifles back 30 years ago when they were cheap, but for 15 years I did buy some ammo. Those Federal blue boxes of 170gr 30-30's look pretty good about now at 6.87 a box, and .348 at 19.89 a box, those too.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They're restocking here as fast as we (or someone, anyway :wink: ) buy them...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I've been looking at the mostly empty shelves of my local Wally since November. Managed to buy 6 of the Winchester X-pert bulk packs at $12.97 and have seen none since. Local Rural King store has had Federal Champions though at $19.97 a brick.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

No bulk .22 at one WM I checked this weekend, I got two 40-rd boxes of .223 WWB and a 50rd box of .22 just because I hate leaving with no ammo.