OT- Jesse Stone Fans. (tonight)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Jesse Stone Fans. (tonight)

Post by cshold »

Jesse Stone: Thin Ice
CBS tonight at 2100 hrs. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT- Jesse Stone Fans. (tonight)

Post by Griff »

Who?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:Who?
Tom Selleck stars in the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Stone_novels
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks very much for the reminder!!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

its going to be a good one
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

It waz a good one....... sure haz a good dawg...

I hept lookin for Rosie O to show up...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed it, but man those adverts every few minutes could drive you nuts :evil:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Jesse Stone films are based on the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B. Parker - who is by far my favorite novelist.

He writes like a Western/action writer - but with modern, urban-based themes, including some practical gun handling, most around a character he named Spenser.

Parker has also written a series of novels around a female lead with similar charactistics.

I have found that, when he write about his characters visiting an actual town/city, the areas and streets are real - since I happen to live near one of the main areas his stories take place around.
It certainly adds an air of credibility to the stories.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Dang.......missed it...
was watching pale ride....
and forgot all about it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hope that's not the way the series ends......Kind of a sad thing if that's it. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

There is another new book in the Jesse Stone series. This movie was the first one that wasn't based on any book. It's a video only continuation of the character, but the earlier movies were at least sort-of based on actual books. Different enough you could enjoy both.

Spenser for Hire, that old TV show with Robert Urich (you know, Jake Spoon), was based on his Spenser novels.

There is already a "coming soon" another Jesse Stone movie at the CBS website.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I thought is was OK, but interrupted too many times by way too many commercials. That is the reason why I don't watch regular TV. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Someone commented about the commericals. We have satellite TV (Direct). The DVR equipment that is available has made TV viewing livable for me. If I had to watch ANY programs in real time I would go crazy.
A couple of things in last nights program were writing/plot errors to me. Why didn't they do a DNA test on the infant found dead to determine who it belonged to? At the shooting range Stone made a comment about ambidextrous safeties breaking. Where did that come from? Wouldn't the cops have said something about finding the bad guy tie wrapped to the plumbing pipe? Seems to me the IA would have picked up on that. I guess I'm too picky.
LOVE THAT DOG!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Gun Smith wrote:Someone commented about the commericals. We have satellite TV (Direct). The DVR equipment that is available has made TV viewing livable for me. If I had to watch ANY programs in real time I would go crazy.
A couple of things in last nights program were writing/plot errors to me. Why didn't they do a DNA test on the infant found dead to determine who it belonged to? At the shooting range Stone made a comment about ambidextrous safeties breaking. Where did that come from? Wouldn't the cops have said something about finding the bad guy tie wrapped to the plumbing pipe? Seems to me the IA would have picked up on that. I guess I'm too picky.
LOVE THAT DOG!

:mrgreen: Nothing like a few facts to foul up a good story. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Too many commercials and I thought it moved pretty slow.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

The first four Jessie Stone mysteries are available on DVD. Much more enjoyable without commercials. Netflix has them and the Blockbuster local to me has them too.

I watch them because I think Selleck is one of the best actors alive. He always creates an individual character for each part. Monte Walsh, Sacket, Quigley, Magnum. All are different people. He really is actor, not just a movie stor.

Jessie Stone is a pathetic character who is at the end of his string. He's an alcoholic ex-LAPD Detective, carrying a torch for his ex-wife, working a deadend job that he is over qualified for in a small town in Mass. The town name is Paradise. Funny huh? The supporting actors are excellent also.

Selleck is absolutely believable.

If you haven't watched the series, I highly recommend it to you. It's not a serial story. Each movie stands alone but If possible I would suggest you see them in order. It begins with his leaving L.A.

Well worth the time.

ps: The number of sponsers that run commercials in the Selleck movies is an indication of his popularity. The man draws an audience.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't like TV much. Particularly don't like "murder mysteries". I like Jesse Stone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

They are indeed a lot more enjoyable without the commercials. "Slow" is accurate but not a bad thing... they have a 'pace' to them that is to me attractive. But then I liked the books too, that might affect how I see the movies.
farmer44mag
Levergunner

Post by farmer44mag »

Dang, i missed it as well. Apparently I also missed the last 2 as i only remember seeing 2 of them.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I think our local paper said he was 4th or 5th in movie ratings, BOTH TV and film last week with that show.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've always enjoyed his work...one of the best...But after that time on Rosie's show when he got blindsided about guns and STILL sliced and diced her, I've elevated him to a god-like status.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

If you have a mind to, you can get most anything from a torrent the next day. It's a little less certain if you'll find something that's not recent, but I'm fairly sure all of these are available.

The first four are readily available on DVD. The first three are in the $9.99 rack at Kroger. Along with several other Selleck films.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"Night Passages" should be the first one (it is the second of the series ...as a preguel) to see.
The story line flows much better if one watches "Night Passages" first.

To see in order produced:
Stone Cold
Night Passages
Murder in Paradise
Sea Change
Thin Ice

Proper order for story line:
Night Passages
Stone Cold
Murder in Paradise
Sea Change
Thin Ice
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper