Sportsman's Safes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Sportsman's Safes

Post by hammerman »

Not to steal the tread, but does anyone use sportsman's safes? According to their website, they're all american made and their prices are real good.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sportsman's Safes

Post by jjames »

I have a Sportman's safe manufactured in Carson, California. I bought it in the early 80's from the factory. They were manufactured in Carson and their claim to fame was their steel had no seams. S&G combination lock. Never had a bit of problems with it in 25 years.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They look like very nice safes, with excellent fire rating. I looked at their "sale" section and the prices for sale items is really great! Might have to give them a call and talk about a 4th safe!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

marlinman93 wrote:They look like very nice safes, with excellent fire rating. I looked at their "sale" section and the prices for sale items is really great! Might have to give them a call and talk about a 4th safe!
Fourth Safe?!? Color me jealous!!! :mrgreen:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well interestingly enough, I used to work down the street, Paramount Blvd, from their factory. If it's in Carson now, it moved from North Long Beach. Anyway, I stopped in one day after work just to look around. Got a "factory" tour. It wasn't really a very big place. But, they do turn out nice stuff. I "ordered" one on the spot. They made it up the way I wanted, and delivered it to the house. Of course being about twenty miles from the factory helped on that score. My point is, although they have standard models, they may still make up a safe to your specs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I love mine. I had it custom ordered close to twenty years ago. It has handgun pegs that are welded on to the door and right side of the safe for 36 handguns. Everything is rubber coated. They made the interior for rifles only and will hold about 40-50 longguns, but I don't like to squish 'em in. I just bought another safe for the overflow.

Dimensions are 72"X42" and weighs about a thousand pounds as I had extra heavy steel used. IIRC, I paid 18 for it, including freight.

Good people to deal with--also again, IIRC, the salesman's name was Kevin.

Image,
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun, that's a good place for a guard dog. But do you at least leave a food dish in there for the little guy?
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:Sixgun, that's a good place for a guard dog. But do you at least leave a food dish in there for the little guy?
Ted,
Naa, That dog is really weird. It won't eat dog food, or any kind of food for that matter. She lives in the safe and only requires that I feed her one pre-war single action Colt a week. Gets kinda expensive, especially on a Teamsters pay. Lately, she has been requiring pre-war Winchesters in 95% or better condition. At least that's what I tell my gullible better half. :D :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Ordered one of their 1200 models back in 1986. Good service and quality as advertised.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Been thinking about building my own safe. Not necessarily a fire-proof one, but a burgeler frustrator one. a corner safe. use hardened hasps and hardened bolt cutter proof locks. any steel safe can be opened with an acetylene torch anyway...
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

for what its worth.... I have a price list for Fort Knox and sportsmans biggest safe to fort knox ...

the fort knox is a little bigger 72 x 51 x 27 sportsman 72 x46 x28 and fort knox is 250lbs. heavier for 200.00 more. all other options seam to compare.

with the current price list infront of me I just thought I would share

5" narrowwer is a big deal thats about 6 to 8 guns worth of room.

rafter-7