OT handgun advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

OT handgun advice

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of getting a handgun for general use, truck, woods, etc. I have a 32 H&R but wanted something a little heavier.

A friend of a friend has a ruger security six w/ 4" barrel in 357mag that wanted to sell, but now might be having second thoughts. He was throwing around $225 as a price but I might offer a little more to help him make up his mind as that price seems pretty low. My friend says it shoots really good, but has a scuff on one side or something. I don't care about looks at all.

In the mean time, I found a ruger new model blackhawk in 41 mag w 4 5/8" barrel for $300 at a little shop. it has a little surface rust on the right side of the cylinder where it looks like it must have sat for a while or something. there is a little play in the cylinder, is this a concern?

anyways, what do you guys think. seems like the 357 would be a better choice if i ever wanted to carry it on me, but the 41 is also appealing in that I hike around a lot in bear country.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT handgun advice

Post by J Miller »

FLINT wrote:Hey guys,

I've been thinking of getting a handgun for general use, truck, woods, etc. I have a 32 H&R but wanted something a little heavier.

A friend of a friend has a ruger security six w/ 4" barrel in 357mag that wanted to sell, but now might be having second thoughts. He was throwing around $225 as a price but I might offer a little more to help him make up his mind as that price seems pretty low. My friend says it shoots really good, but has a scuff on one side or something. I don't care about looks at all.

In the mean time, I found a ruger new model blackhawk in 41 mag w 4 5/8" barrel for $300 at a little shop. it has a little surface rust on the right side of the cylinder where it looks like it must have sat for a while or something. there is a little play in the cylinder, is this a concern?

anyways, what do you guys think. seems like the 357 would be a better choice if i ever wanted to carry it on me, but the 41 is also appealing in that I hike around a lot in bear country.
Two different styles and two different calibers. My wife would take the Security Six, as she's a .357 Fan. Me I'd take the 41 as I'm a fan of anything starting with a 4.
Both guns are a good price. Were I able I'd grab both of them.

I know, that don't help much. If bears are a concern though, the heavier 41 Mag will be a better choice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'd give the guy $250 for the Security Six and walk away hiding a big grin....

Bonus on the Security Six... No Paper. You have to tell Unka BoBo that you bought the .41...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'd give the guy $250 for the Security Six and walk away hiding a big grin....

Bonus on the Security Six... No Paper. You have to tell Unka BoBo that you bought the .41...
I don't know... the .41 BH @ $300 is still a great deal... I don't worry over-much about a little paper...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:I'd give the guy $250 for the Security Six and walk away hiding a big grin....

I don't know... the .41 BH @ $300 is still a great deal... I don't worry over-much about a little paper...
Well... buying both still cost less than ONE of them new... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Both are good cartridges, both are good guns at reasonable prices.
I'ld say it comes down to whether or not you reload. If you're not a reloader then the 41 is going to be terribly expensive to shoot. While with the Security Six you have the option of cheap ammo from various 38 special loads on to specialty 357 loads off the shelf at a reasonably stocked sporting goods store.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don McDowell wrote:Both are good cartridges, both are good guns at reasonable prices.
I'ld say it comes down to whether or not you reload. If you're not a reloader then the 41 is going to be terribly expensive to shoot. While with the Security Six you have the option of cheap ammo from various 38 special loads on to specialty 357 loads off the shelf at a reasonably stocked sporting goods store.
I gotta go along with Don on the .41 Magnum factory loaded ammo cost. Very expensive and what with the hoarding that is going on now maybe a little hard to find whereas the .357 Magnum can be had fairly cheap (Cabela's bulk ammo) and is easier to find. Plus you can shoot .38 Special as Don said in the .357 Magnum.
ED
Yer never too old
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Reloading is not a problem. I currently load for the 32 H&R and am ready to load for 30-30,32ws,32-40.

also, whatever handgun i get will not be shot a tremendous amount. i really only shoot enough to be ready to hunt.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That settles it! BUY BOTH! You'll be a much happier, well-rounded, fulfilled individual with both a DA and a SA in good calibers at reasonable prices that aren't likely to last... and if you're willin' to reload the .41 Mag... you love the variety and versatility of reloadin' for the .357!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

.41 brass is a bit hard to locate. Nuckols in Staunton had a bag at $27.99 yesterday, not sure if it is there today. The .41 is a good cartridge though and you can load it from mild to wild.

That is a CHEAP price on the Security Six.

At those prices buying both is a good deal! If you want to get rid of the Security Six, you should have little problem doing so.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buy both, and sell whichever you decide you like least; they don't lose their value (which is why you'd be getting a good deal even if he was charging quite a bit more - I'd give $350 for a Security Six if I didn't already have one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have both a Ruger Single-Six .32 mag and a 4" .357 Security Six (stainless). Every time I go out it's a toss up on which one will see the woods. I can toss my .22 into that same boat. Some days the choice is a killer! But the .32 mag is great for my needs and will see the lion's share of woods duty this year. Weighs less and is more compact (birdshead grip frame) than the .357 and more thump than the .22.

How good of a friend is he? If he's a "good" friend up your price on the Security Six to between $250 and $300. $225 is like ROBBERY!! :lol:

Good price for the .41 Mag too but due to ammo availability the .357 gets the nod. Let's face it, there may be a time when you want to go shooting and don't have the time to reload or the ambition. Maybe you don't want to deplete your reserves. With the .38/.357 you can get ammo about anywhere and go blow off some rounds for fairly cheap (by comparison with the .41). That is the case with me. While I reload, I can't say that I like it. Takes about 1.5 hours to reload 100 rounds using my single stage press and sometimes I just don't want to mess with it.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Yes, I think I will offer a little more on the security six.

if he decides to hold on to it, i'll look into the .41

Thanks for all the great advice. I think i was mostly wondering what people thought of the .41mag - in case i need to go that route.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

look at it this way. You're going to have to have a .357 either way. You can have just a .357, or you can have a .41 AND a .357.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BUY BOTH, then you can sell one of us the one you dont want! Seriously, I dont think you could go wrong with either. I would see if he would budge off the .41 due to the cosmetics and the cylinder play. You may want to research "END SHAKE" it can be correctable to an extent without having to take it to a smith.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'd go with the .41 Mag Blackhawk, for two reasons.

1 - I don't much care for the Security Six grip design.

2 - The .41 has more power and thus is a bit more useful as a woods bumming gun.

Of course if you like the feel of the Security Six, the real answer is to buy 'em both!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IMHO the .357 is infinitely more usable.

I carried a .41 back in the 70's in a S&W M58 and found that I could have any kind of bullet I wanted as long as it weighted 210 grains. For factory ammo they'll load it fast or they'll load it slow. they'll cast it or they'll wrap a jacket around it but it still comes in at 210 grains. I would think things have improved a little, at least I would hope so.

As far as I know the 125 grain .357 is still the number one stopper for self defense and with .38's it's cheap to shoot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Like others said, you NEED both. I don't know a whole lot about the security six but a blackhawk in 41 for $300, I'd be begging my wife if I had one. :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

FLINT wrote:Yes, I think I will offer a little more on the security six.

if he decides to hold on to it, i'll look into the .41

Thanks for all the great advice. I think i was mostly wondering what people thought of the .41mag - in case i need to go that route.
The .41 is an absolute awesome cartridge, pioneered and championed by both Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith. It flat rocks :shock:
Its limited popularity coincides with the decline in popularity of the DA revolver with law enforcement, plus , --- it bites. Like the 10mm on the auto loading side, the .41 packs a bit more sizzle than your average puddin' bellied Crown Vic drivin' LE officer likes to deal with, especially if he or she only hits the range twice a year to stay qualified.
(No offense intended for the LE members of this forum, who, by their membership, are clearly not average)

The .357 has the advantage of an extra 35 or 40 years on its side to get ingrained in american shooting culture --- but the .41 is a hot rod and you would like either firearm. (i'd try to get both too -- like some have said -- those are 2 good buys)
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Both if you can afford them, either otherwise - you can't go wrong with either pick at those prices. I am not a fan of the New Model Ruger single-actions, but for a beating around gun, they would be safer than my beloved Old Models...
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

I've had both and think you can't go wrong with either. Buy both is the best solution. Wish I had both back.

I'm becoming concerned about lead bans. Starts me thinking about being able to cast lighter weight slugs to stretch my lead. I hope that's nonsense, but with the group we have in Washington it's a concern.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

thanks for all the great advice guys! i wonder if i could possibly convince the wife that i should get both of them. maybe I could get both and see which one I liked better and then sell one............eventually ;)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FLINT wrote:thanks for all the great advice guys! i wonder if i could possibly convince the wife that i should get both of them. maybe I could get both and see which one I liked better and then sell one............eventually ;)
Of course, "eventually" could be a couple-few decades. :wink:

Seriously though, at those prices, this is a solid strategy. Just tell her that since both are great deals, you can decide which one works better, then sell the other one latter to help fund the one you keep.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Cylinder end play could be a big problem if thats what you mean. Cylinder barrel gap should be around 4 to 8 thou max. Can be measured with a feeler gauge, if its more you are possibly entering the realms of headspace problems, does the gun index properly on every cylinder when cocked slowly? Head space gauges are available to check this. Brownells carry them. They are a glorified feeler gauge with a max that should not fit between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield. You could be up for some expensive gunsmithing to correct if this is the case. New cylinder bushing etc. If the play checks out within tolerance then by all means go for it. Some play from a well worn/used gun is to be expected. Buyer Beware.

Rgds
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

no the play in the cylinder is just a little rotationally, i dont think thats a big deal. there isn't any front to back. i had to look up what end play meant.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

So, post the pics of these two guns... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson