45-70 and Barnes 300 grain TSX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

45-70 and Barnes 300 grain TSX

Post by SJPrice »

Does anyone here load these for hunting loads and if so what have been your results? I would be loading them for Browning 1886 rifle and carbine.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 and Barnes 300 grain TSX

Post by 86er »

I have a client in CA that uses them due to the law. See this post for the info he provided, and more....

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=13392
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I still have not driven down to our local ranch and chrony'd those loads. Now that the mud had dried up I suppose it's time, 'cause the excuses have run out. There is a lot goin' on around here that takes up all my weekend time, but during the week I have a lot of free time. I will get 'er done very soon. :oops: I will post the results of both the .30 168s and the .45 300 TSX bullets. I will probably shoot them in a .45-70 Winchester, so that proper comparisons can be made. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My plan is to head down tonorrow and test some .45-70 loads, including these. The Barnes TSX is considerably longer than their Original of the same weight. I had to reduce the powder charge of XMR 2015 to 50 grains from my regular load of 55 grains. I am afraid of compressing the powder too much with that looong bullet. Don't want to "bung up" my old 1886. :)
Today, I gave some friends from the SO the OK to go down there and burn some powder. I hear that some serious "bursting" was going on, but I missed the fun due to other responsibilities. The foreman called me to say that the pruners were beginning to panic. Too funny, I hope they didn't play INS on 'em. I guess that the black vehicles and black clothing kinda worried the contract workers.:lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

I load 300gr Barnes X with 56grs H322 in my 45-70 T/C Contender carbine and Marlin 1895GS.