Old fishing reel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Old fishing reel

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

A friend gave me this to sell for him+I don't know what to ask for it?
Any thoughts on it??Its a A B U Ambassadeyr De luxe made in sweeden.
Its 30 years old im told!

JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old fishing reel

Post by 2ndovc »

No idea what it's worth but it sure is a nice lookin' reel!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

PM Sent

FP
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

In excellent condition, you are probably looking north of $500, maybe as much as $700-800 depending upon the model and condition. Is it the 5000, 5000c, 5600, etc.?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote:No idea what it's worth but it sure is a nice lookin' reel!

jb 8)
+1 8) :mrgreen: :D
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

That is a fine lookin Mitchell 300 spin cast reel in the first pic. I grew up fishing with those and had a full supply of replacement parts. If one started acting up we could rebuild it to like new. These newer reels aren't made to fix.....at least not the cheap ones I buy!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's a dandy......Worth way too much to fish with it :wink: Ditto on the old Mitchels.....I have some I bought as a kid 40-45 years ago and they are still just fine...I have my uncles that's prolly 15 years older than mine and it needs a bit of work as the drag sucks big time......Best reels ever made :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

BlaineG wrote:That's a dandy......Worth way too much to fish with it :wink: Ditto on the old Mitchels.....I have some I bought as a kid 40-45 years ago and they are still just fine...I have my uncles that's prolly 15 years older than mine and it needs a bit of work as the drag sucks big time......Best reels ever made :!:
I agree on the old Mitchels, The world just seems to run along nicer when I am on a creek with my old fishing gear.
creosote
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I want to thank all of you for your help on finding info on this reel.It seems to be new never used and worth more then i thought.Your help has made the difference in a parents ability to help his sick child.
The owner has a daughter with a terminal decease and its whipping them out financially.This was his grandfathers reel and he is selling everything he owners to help his kid,As we all would.
But the help of good honest people will get him more then we ever thought it would.That other Mitchel reel is also going to go too,so any ideas on a price will help.Theres 1 other Ambassadeur 6500c new in the box and in a leather case we have to move also.Ill get some pictures of it taken later on.
But again thanks for your honesty and not trying to take advantage of a bad situation.John

Last edited by JOHNNY WACKO on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOHNNY WACKO
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The owner has a daughter with a terminal decease and its whipping them out financially
This upsets me....we can bail out billionaires and China, but an American has to go bankrupt or lose everything for somthing like this. I really don't want socialized medicine, but this has got to stop!! Sorry for HyJacking the thread.

Wacko, if there is an address or fund, I'd like to pitch in a little bit.........This makes me sick.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

The ABU De-Luxe, if in as new condition will fetch at least 500 bucks, and possibly more.
The 6500c standard edition 40 to 75 bucks maybe.
I never liked the ABU's that much myself, due to the air brake they started fitting. Non the less, they are a very good quality reel, and do have a following.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Here in Sweden such a reel usually costs about 5000 SEK, perhaps more, i.e. about $500, but there have been higher ones at some auctions.

BTW, your reel has the older type of crank with two round white handles. Not being an expert, I estimate the reel should date to the sixties, as it also lacks the ABU-Garcia logo. It from the time of Borgström's family firm AB Urfabriken - the Watch Factory Ltd, a pre-Garcia vintage.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

That being the before Garcia ,should help make it worth more than your saying old s.
Blaine I told that story without him knowing,but your correct thats a crime.
Shawn is a good guy,Ive known him since he was about 5 years old.He was a home builder with his own co.Buy we all know what has happened to the house market.Hes a real quiet type guy+His cousin told me most of that story.But we can keep good thoughts going his way,It cant hurt.I would love to hand him $500 to help out.
JOHNNY WACKO