OT - Surprise Christmas present (cleaning ?) - updated

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Surprise Christmas present (cleaning ?) - updated

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Of sorts anyway, since I already owned it! I was digging through some boxes and came across a couple speedloaders that I thought had been stolen when I moved a couple years ago! Was so happy to find them! Kind of like a mini-Christmas gift to myself!!! :D

Also came across two gun belts - where I had left cartridges in the belt loops! :shock: You all know what happened next. The cartridges themselves are a nice sticky green where the brass sat in contact with the leather for too long, and the leather is stained. Here are some pictures - sorry for the poor quality (camera in my cell phone).

Question: What is the best (and safest) way to clean the cartridges that won't ruin them?

Question # 2: What is the best way to clean the leather that again won't make things worse?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Surprise Christmas present to me (cleaning question

Post by cutter »

Question: What is the best (and safest) way to clean the cartridges that won't ruin them?

000 or 0000 Steel wool.

Question # 2: What is the best way to clean the leather that again won't make things worse?

Saddle Soap, and cool water. Yuo might need to use a SOFT toothbrush to break the green away. Then retreat the leather. I'm no expert on leather, but from making the same mistake...
I like the Goergia Boot Conditioner for my holsters and such. it will darken brown leather, but works really good. Neatsfoot oil is ok, but it might soften the cartridge loops too much?

Glad you found it!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That doesn't look too bad (I've had to clean up much worse! :oops: ).

If you try a soapy rag on the cartridges first, you might not need as much elbow grease on the steel wool.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

"cutter" gave some good advice. I recently cleaned an old, leather, military sling with the brass fittings with Hoppes #9 and a toothbrush. A brass cleaner may help with the finishing touches on the brass. I keep Flitz wipes on hand for small brass cleaning jobs.

The important lesson here as far as I'm concerned is that everyone should go through all their boxes occasionally to see what they've got especially if they're boxes you never opened after a move.

Great finds.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cutter wrote:Question: What is the best (and safest) way to clean the cartridges that won't ruin them?

000 or 0000 Steel wool.

Saddle Soap, and cool water. Yuo might need to use a SOFT toothbrush to break the green away. Then retreat the leather. I'm no expert on leather, but from making the same mistake...
I like the Goergia Boot Conditioner for my holsters and such. it will darken brown leather, but works really good. Neatsfoot oil is ok, but it might soften the cartridge loops too much?

Glad you found it!
That's what I'd do (have done). Good advice. Actually, I only posted to keep my post count up. Seems to be important to some folks... :wink: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Welp if Hobie can do it so can I :twisted: .

When I had a leather / verdigris / mold problem I was told to wash the leather with white vinegar which got rid of the mold. Then to use Lexal Leather cleaner and after that Lexal conditioner.

That saved most of my leather.

As for the cartridges I'd just wipe them down, shoot 'em then toss them into the tumbler.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That green crud is a reaction of the brass/caselube/tanning chemical. It'll happen any time you leave cartridges in the belt for an extended period of time.
Best way to fix the problem? Shootem up don't let loaded cartridges sit around long, keep empting and reloading. :D

:lol: Dang should a put that in 2 or 3 posts, could a bilt the post count everhigher. :idea:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

what to do

Post by rjohns94 »

Shoot the ammo and then put them in the tumbler with the next batch. the leather will clean up as described by others above me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Why would anyone post just to get their post count up? :D
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: what to do

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:Shoot the ammo and then put them in the tumbler with the next batch. the leather will clean up as described by others above me.
Heck, if you have a vibro-cleaner you could "tumble" them in media and not worry about it.

No vibrating case cleaner will ever create enough friction, static or impact to detonate a loaded cartridge... IMO...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote: That's what I'd do (have done). Good advice. Actually, I only posted to keep my post count up. Seems to be important to some folks... :wink: :lol:
Hmmm, I think that might have been aimed at me! :shock:

Guys, I don't want to shoot these - the ammo is too expensive. Some are reloads - I can shoot them. Others are stuff I'd rather save for the "holy pelosi" times!

OI - I may try that, but only if I and the rest of the family aren't home when they are getting cleaned!!! :shock:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Ysable Kid, I had some 475 Linebaugh's that got cruddy so I threw them in the tumbler, cleaned up real nice. I don't know if it is true or not but was told that the factory's tumble after loading their ammo. Oh, when I say tumble I mean a vibratory type.

Ricky
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Saddle Soap for the leather then treat with mink oil. Every one else covered the brass.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Maybe some saddle soap, but I've seen Lexol cleaner followed by the conditioner really clean up abused leather very, very nice!

-Tutt
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

This is an age old problem. Here's my solution:

Clean the cartidges with any household cleaner, like 409. Don't need to shoot them up.

A weak vinegar soution with water used to scrubb away the green icky stuff. Use a tooth & small bottle brush. That will clean up the green stuff. Coat your loops with a good saddle soap & conditioner, that will help the leather from reacting to the sovents we use in cartridge prep. They won't get loose either.

If your loops are loose, soak the belt in water for a day & hang to dry. Then condition. Loops will loosen up over time & use, just use the water treatment to tighten the leather up. Oil the leather sparingly, you don't want it to be soft, just treated to preserve.

If your sixgun becomes loose, smear grease all over it, shove it in the scabbard and drop the whole works in a bucket of water over night. Pull the sixgun the next day & thoroughly clean & oil (complete disasembly is a must). Hang the scabbard up to dry. Should be only another day for the scabbard to dry. Do a complete treatment on the leather using Neatsfoot oil. Not too much, just enough to treat & preserve the leather. It should turn out real stiff & last a good while. This is an old way of fitting a holster to the gun.

If you want the shells to stay pretty and the leather to stay clean, use a rattle can of clear laquer (sic) on the shells. Let dry. They won't corrode after that.

My .45 BH is my battle gun in a gunbelt that has 40 loops. When I used this prep it has stayed ready & clean. The shells stay clean too!

Just my 2c's.

LeverBob
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Took OI's advice and plopped these into the tumbler, after rubbing off the bulk of the green slime with an old rag.

It worked like a charm! :D (this cruddy picture doesn't do the cartridges justice)

Now I just need to clean the leather! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You are a braver man then I. I would have cleaned them by hand but it worked fine for you I may have to try it on some that I have.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I learned from a leather worker/saddle maker that Neatsfoot Oil will eat the stitching of your leather goods.

I don't know how true this is, I used it on my baseball gloves for 45 years (4 gloves)--some of the stitching could be better. But the boots I used it on were always blowing out the stitching.

He recommended Rudy's Tack and Saddle Conditioner and Finish.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Neatsfoot oil and Loxol both suck. They slowly rot stitching and degrade leather.

As for cleaning the bullet loops, use a nylon bore brush or a neck brush.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1