Ruger 357 anniversery model

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Ruger 357 anniversery model

Post by hondo1892 »

Does anyone own one of the new .357 flat tops. How do you like them and are they accurate. Also does the new locks cause any problems. I'm looking at getting one of these or a USFA Rodeo in .45. I like both but can't afford both. So I must choose one. I've had many Ruger blackhawks over the years and have always liked them. But I like the the looks and feel of the Rodeo over the new style grip pn the blackhawk. I haven't held the flat top with the XR3 grip yet. I also like that it has a medium frame on it also.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger 357 anniversery model

Post by TedH »

There's at least a couple guys here that have one, they should chime in soon. I'm trying to save up for one myself.
NRA Life Member
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have one of the 357 and the duplicate 44 special and one of the 44 mag 50th coming. The grip is small, I kinda like it but I have never held a Rodeo. I will more than likley put on custom grips over time. The key lock is a non issue, the grips come complete, so they cover the lock up, you have to drill a hole in the grip panel to "activate" the lock.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have the New Vaquero, the Lipsey's .44 Special FT, and a couple of the USFA SAs. Even among USFA's product there are differences in grip feel, i.e. between wood stocks and the rubber/plastic product. I like them all. They all feel better to my hand than the products by other companies (except for Colt).

The lock is a non-issue because Ruger has made one that doesn't flop about internally and is hidden.

The USFA Rodeo IS truly of as good quality as the color case and dome blue (which I have) except for the finish which is a matte blue. It looks very good. The shop I work at has a Rodeo and I've been pondering buying it, just don't know how to afford it right now... :roll: Frankly, I think the .357 FT and the .45 Rodeo are two different animals. Except for pocket pistols I'm moving to .40-somethings because they give the same ballistic performance without the ear-splitting muzzleblast. That is a subjective view, you may prefer the adjustable sights. In that case you could have both with the Lipsey's .44 Special FT... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The new Ruger 50th Anniversary .357 Flattops have been reported to be very accurate. Many over on TRF have been amazed by this.

The new version of their XR3 is basically the same size as the Colt SAA. I've handled both the .357 and .44s with the new grip and I like the size, just not the checkering. Many have said that the checkering is really rough on their hands. I can't address that as I've not shot one yet. I have shot the original 1950s and 60s checkered hard rubber grips and don't have much problem with them. To each their own I guess.

As others have said the lock seems to be a functional non-issue. For myself I'd yank it out and be done with it. Just my personal feelings about the subject, no need for discussion. It's easy to do, all you need is to fabricate a mainspring strut support to replace the lock gizmo.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought a .357 50th Anniv Flattop, but soon sold it, since I found it neither fish nor fowl - IOW, it wasn't that much different, to justify it's price, so I sold it to a tongue dragger. ;)

I've since bought a .45 New Vaquero, however, and like it a whole bunch.
The checkered HR grips didn't "bother" me, physically, but for esthetics/looks, I made a set of wood smoothies for it.

I shoot all sorts of loads through it - including some .457 lead round ball BP loads for fun !

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I kind of think it is an apples to oranges comparison -- but, as in any fixed sight vs. adj sight debate, are you gonna find one load you prefer and shoot it exclusively, or do you want to vary your load strengths to suit different needs?

The .357 is on a different ballfield power wise than many .45 Colt loads. I'll echo Hobie's sentiments in preferring bigger bore stuff now too. Recently bought a nice Python thinking i would love it, (and i do, on looks alone) but its a chore to shoot it because it is so darn loud compared to any of the 45 Colts or 44 Specials i have.

I'd probably pick neither and get a .44 special or 45 Colt Blackhawk instead (strictly a personal opinion based solely on my newfound dislike for the .357)
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had one for about six months. That particular revolver was
not up to the usual accuracy that I'd found with other Rugers.
I was going to send it off the H. Bowen for a .44 Spl.
conversion but had a friend that wanted it very badly just to
sit in the box in a safe.

Replaced it with a Uberti Bisley that is an outstanding shooter.

Obviously not in the same class but the Uberti
just feels better to me.
And not dogging Ruger either. I have and had several of
their revolvers and am quite fond of them.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe is right about the checkering on the grips. At first, it can be uncomfortable. Ruger's checkering is noticeably sharper than USFA's but I get used to it as I shoot them more. IOW, the hands either toughen up or the dirt on my hands sands off the really sharp edges (I don't know which.). :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've been slobbering over the .44 Special Lipsey's version..... I really like my S&W 696.

I just ordered an RCBS 450 keith mold for this and my Ruger 44Mag BH. I have a Lee 240grGC 6-cav mold which produces OK practice rounds but they aren't that accurate compared to the jacketed loads I've tried in the Smith.

The flat tops just look cool to me - especially with the black grips - just a well balanced and classy looking package in an equally balanced and classy caliber.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie brought up a couple interesting points. They are different animals - you should handle each one. I like the Ruger - compact, heavy, handles very easily, new lock works well. The rear sight is sharp - watch out! On the cartridge - 357 is a lot cheaper and more available if you shoot factory and 38s are like 22s almost. I like lower powered rounds pressure wise but I have those too. Nothing handles like a 4 3/4" Colt or clone. You have to decide which set of qualities you want. The 44 FT might be just the ticket - jengel had 2 for 489.00 each. Hobie hasn't raved over his yet but I bet he likes it. The barrel on the 357 FT must be very smooth because mine gets NO gilding metal in it - none! Frankly I haven't shot it well enough to see if it is really accurate. Haven't shot pistol as much as I used to and I can tell I am not doing things as well as they can be done, but it seems accurate - wiggles and wobbles seem to be where they should be.

I should buy a 44 FT but I have found out if you hang around here and have a little money - YOU CAN SPEND IT ALL - or almost all. :D :D :D :o
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:I should buy a 44 FT but I have found out if you hang around here and have a little money - YOU CAN SPEND IT ALL - or almost all. :D :D :D :o
Now that is the truth! :lol:

For a fact I like the 5-1/2" .44 Spec FT that I got. Something has happened to the 4-5/8" that Lipsey was supposedly sending my dealer. Might have to go begging to Jengel again (if he hasn't already sold those and I know one was gone!) The guns seem as well fit as my USFA guns but of course they have the new model lockwork so in that regard they aren't a Colt or Colt-clone.

In truth, you can't go wrong for having a quality gun. It really is the chambering that you should concentrate on choosing. The .357 Mag/.38 Special will be cheaper to shoot and right now one can get ammo more easily than for some of the other possibilities.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie, I should have added - you can spend it all but you can never have it all. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Savage wrote:Hobie, I should have added - you can spend it all but you can never have it all. :D
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got the .357 50th Flattop.....Hmmmm...It never shot well (patterns, really) and now the cyl refuses to lock up and moves backward with hammer down and very loose with it cocked.... The black checkered grips are painful to me.... :( I really lusted after this one, too :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:I got the .357 50th Flattop.....Hmmmm...It never shot well (patterns, really) and now the cyl refuses to lock up and moves backward with hammer down and very loose with it cocked.... The black checkered grips are painful to me.... :( I really lusted after this one, too :oops:
Yikes. Sounds like a trip back to Ruger is in order. I'm not so excited about getting one now.
NRA Life Member
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. I was pondering the .357 or .45 because I have reloading supplies for both. I don't shoot my .357 much it has a 3 inch barrel and it sets in the holster most of the time. Got it for carrying around without the bulk not target or plinking. I had a .45 blackhawk and didn't like it. It seemed too bulky, built like a tank though. No complaints on the shootability. I have a uberti colt clone and like it but would like a shorter barrel. Thought about a Ruger NV but I like the Rodeo looks and feel better. I'm going monday to check them both out along with a uberti 1876. Got some money burning a hole in my pocket.