Anybody remember this ad?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody remember this ad?

Post by rangerider7 »

Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Re: Anybody remember this add?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don't think I was around when these were first made! :wink:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody remember this ad?

Post by rangerider7 »

Ysabel Kid, I was only five myself. I just wonder how many turned up. Some of you were only a twinkle in your parents eyes when this ad came out; for some the fire hadn't even started. :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Ysabel Kid, I was only five myself.

What year did it come out? I certainly do not remember seeing them but heck I grew up in Boston!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think they ran that in 1964 or when "Winchester '73" came out (just looked it up, a 1950 film!). I have a book (booklet) on the Winchester Collection with a form of that ad in it which I got new when I was 9. I thought it was cool stuff at the time and looked in all the gun and antique shops we visited trying to find one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

In 1950, when the promotion was done for the movie, I had an interest in guns. But I became very interested in 1953 when I entered gunsmithing school. There was a lot of discussion about the "One of One Thousand" guns then. And I remember the deal of a new Model 94 to anyone with a verified 1o1T. As I remember about a 125 were found in 1950. Does that sound right?
I had a customer, later when I was working as a 'smith, bring in a 1o1T barrel and receiver to the shop wanting to know if it could be rebuilt back into a rifle. I don't know what actually happened to his plan as he never brought it back. I wonder if there is a "restored" 1o1T out there made from that gun?
Does anyone remember seeing a 1o1T in the Winchester museum at the Winchester House in San Jose? They have a collection of almost every model that Winchester ever made.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

In the end, searches like that are fruitless because quite a few collectors don't want to reveal that they have such rifles. It'll probably never be known how many of the rifles sought in the add exist.

Still, that's a cool add and the intent is well intentioned. I don't recall ever seeing that add. I was 7-years old in 1950. A great age to be during the age of the Hollywood western movies and western serials.
ED
Yer never too old
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

This may be a stupid question but, why were they called one of one thousand if only 124 were made into "the super accurate variety known as 'One Of One Thousand'? :? (At least according to the add.)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rangerider7 wrote:Ysabel Kid, I was only five myself. I just wonder how many turned up. Some of you were only a twinkle in your parents eyes when this ad came out; for some the fire hadn't even started. :wink:
HEY - you switched the photo on me!

Five? Will you adopt me??? PLEASE???? :D

I was that twinkle in 1964 - or the new born keeping my parents up at night! :lol:
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jkbrea wrote:This may be a stupid question but, why were they called one of one thousand if only 124 were made into "the super accurate variety known as 'One Of One Thousand'? :? (At least according to the add.)
Not a stupid question at all. Oliver Winchester was a master marketer. He realized the demand for special firearms, and often made gifts of custom guns to powerful people. Back in the day anyone who could pay the price could order all kinds of custom work. The Winchester folks realized that some of their guns were simply more accurate than others. They came on the idea of marking some as "one of a hundred", where the one marked would be more accurate than the other 99. Same principle on the "one of a thousand", but it would be "better" than 999 others. The numbers never did add up, given the production run of these rifles, and the funny thing is that fewer "One of a Hundred" rifles were so marked than the "One of a Thousand" rifles, though had they followed their own advertising/marketing, this would not be the case.

I can't recall how they determine the accuracy - whether they had a specific standard or not. In any case, guns marked this way became treasured items...

Someday... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

rangerider7 wrote:Image

After seeing the pics of Your collections I'm surprised You don't have 2 or 3 of those around the house. :o :lol:

(And yes, I do envy your collection. keep postin' those pics please.) :)
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Jason Shobe of Shobe Auctions in Lewistown, MT is selling an original "one of one thousand" Winchester '73 sometime this month as I recall. You can find more details about this and several other Winchesters (and some older sixguns, IIRC) at his website on the net. He also allows off-site bidding through PROXYBID, if you're familiar with that process.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Smoke Eater2, I have actually handled one, smelt it, fondled it, and put it up to my shoulder; then I had to put it down and let it go to the big money guys at an auction. :( But to tell you my true feelings, I would rather have the variety that I have and be able to shoot them than to have one or two great "safe guns". The most impressive 1873 Winchester rifle I have ever had in my hands was Charles Goodnight's. It had beautiful wood and a pearl inlaid steer in the butt. That was some historical rifle.
"That'll Be The Day"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I agree with You Rangerider7. I've always felt that firearms were built to shoot so I don't leave them sitting as long as they are safe to fire. I do like seeing all the historical items You have though and I certainly won't pass up a museum exhibit when I get the chance. Back when I was stationed at Fort Hood Texas I made quite a few trips to Waco to see the Texas Ranger Museum and I never got tired of it. If I ever get back through Texas I'm going to plan an extra day just to soak up the history in that museum. :)
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That add was a decade before my time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:That add was a decade before my time.
Sure, rub it in! :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hey thats what I am here for buddy. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
Hey thats what I am here for buddy. :lol:
A few more years as a Gunny and you'll be as old and cranky as the rest of us - maybe even more so! :lol: :lol: :lol: