OT LEATHER HOLSTER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sgtgrinche

OT LEATHER HOLSTER

Post by sgtgrinche »

I have a old leather holster is stamped Herters inc. waseca minn. can anyone give me any information on the company. i have searched but could not find anything on them any help would be appreciated thank you
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT LEATHER HOLSTER

Post by Bruce Scott »

George Leonard Herter, born 1911, of Waseca Minn wrote books on reloading and fly tying. http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Search/Home ... hatimean=1

Also found this:
http://www.archeryarchives.com/herterhistory.html

"Herter History
From an article by: David E. Petzel

Originally published in Field and Stream

George Leonard Herter is thought of as both a creative genius and an eccentric character. But to remember him as anything other than the founder of a ground breaking hunting catalog would be a crime. The founder of the Herter’s catalog, Herter was able to supply needed hunting and fishing supplies in the days before the internet and mega supply stores like Bass Pro Shop. Born in Minnesota in 1911, Herter used his military experience and a small investment to build up an empire based on his famous mail order catalogs. Concentrating on salesmanship, Herter’s unique writing style spread from his catalogs into dozens of books he also authored with titles like: How to diet and never by hungry; Professional Fly Typing and Tackle Making. But even with great success, Herter still had to face his own personal demons. As his business flourished, he became more withdrawn, and a series of bad business decisions spelled the downfall of his catalog. IN the final years of his company, Herter would only work during the night, leaving notes for his managers to follow the next day. He promoted unqualified people, and was sued on one occasion after backing out of an offer to sell his company. In 1978, Herter decided that the future lay in retail, not mail order. He opened several mega-stores across the northeast, but do to the gas shortage at the time, the stores closed soon there after. In the end, Herter sold his company for only $300,000 (originally being promised 3 million) after turning down several offers over the years from other companies. Herter spent her final years suffering from bipolar disorder until his death in July of 1994. Despite his shaky fall from grace: Herter’s name is still fondly remembered today for his magic writing skills and pioneering work in bringing desired equipment to sportsmen across the country."

Herter's catalogs are apparently becoming collectible: http://pueblo.craigslist.org/clt/1119095593.html
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

More here:
http://discovery.mnhs.org/MN150/index.p ... r's%2C_Inc.

Photo here:
http://www.wasecaalums.com/public/viewi ... ?ImgID=188

You will find quite a lot if you Google herters sports store waseca
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Oh, how I wish Herter's still existed, if only for the entertainment value! I spent DAYS with the catalog (nights, too, with a flashlight under my blankets!).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I can't tell you much about the holster -- but I have this book from him:

BULL COOK and
Authentic Historical Recipes And Practices
by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter

http://www.cookbkjj.com/bookhtml/000043.html

It is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read.

Chad
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

thank you for your replies i truely appreciate all the knowledge of our members thank you
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You can not know the pleasure that Herter's brought us kids on the reservation in the 60's.
Thank You Mr. Herter!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Herter's was the pioneer for outfits like Gander Mountain. The catalogs, with descrptions written by Mr. Herter, were not only full of the sort of stuff every boy craved, but entertaining as heck. Everything was "the best" or "perfected" Any day a new Herter's catalog came to the house was a celebration -- as soon as Dad was finished with it, it went to my room, where I spent months poring over every page.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pisgah wrote:Herter's was the pioneer for outfits like Gander Mountain. The catalogs, with descrptions written by Mr. Herter, were not only full of the sort of stuff every boy craved, but entertaining as heck. Everything was "the best" or "perfected" Any day a new Herter's catalog came to the house was a celebration -- as soon as Dad was finished with it, it went to my room, where I spent months poring over every page.
Me, too. I almost bought my first rifle from Herter's (remember when you could just buy through the mail?). I had the order form filled out, money in hand, but I didn't know how to get a money order... so I asked Mom.... that put the end to that!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Does it say, "Model Perfect" anywhere on it...?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Before the 1967 gun legislation that banned the mail ordering of guns, I ordered a .401 Powermag from Herter's. It was similar to the Super Blackhawk and had a 7 1/2" barrel. Brute of a gun to shoot and the ammo was only available from Herter's or handloading. Kept it a couple of years and then sold it to a college roommate to help pay bills.

Herter's had the greatest collection of outdoor gear I had ever seen at the time. You could order anything you could think of for camping. One of my friends ordered a kayak. They had everything. Made Cabela's look like a kids book. Most of their stuff was just what campers and outdoorsmen used in the northern states, Canada and Alaska. Well thought out and well tested. Canvas, leather, steel, all the good stuff and by comparison to today, it was heavy but durable. Best reading catalog ever.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.