OT-Bisley conversion almost done & 76 Win a ways to go

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Bisley conversion almost done & 76 Win a ways to go

Post by Mich Hunter »

Well, the story goes like this. I picked up this stainless Blackhawk on line. It came out of Florid and the previous owner tried to do a home made Bird's head grip. Well, it turned out like junk and I picked the pistol up for $275. No, I always wanted a Bisley in 44mag, but at the time they were not made by Ruger. So.......... I purchased all of the parts to do it myself. Now, the frames that Brownell's sells are rough at times. It took my allot of fitting to get the edges trued and fit, I decided to reatin the original hammer as I prefer it over the Bisley. Some of the replacement parts were also a little rough, so the stones came out for them. All screws have been replaced along with new Wolf springs. I have the trigger down to a hair less than 2lbs. I though it might have been to light of a main spring, but a trip to the range proved me wrong. Now its not perfect, but it will be a fine working man's gun for me. I still have a little polishing left along with a set of Bowen sights to put on. I also don't care for the reproduction plastic grips either. I am shopping for stag right now or another type of antler. I thing stag looks great on the blued guns, but I am willing to try it on a stainless as well. I have to be some what original 8)

At the bottom is another sneak peek at a work in progress. Mike Hunter is currently doing some work for me. The receiver was complete until the postal service decided to drop it hard enough to break ther lower tang. It's an origial 76 Win that was given to me from a close friend of my dad. It was his great grandfathers and it was a complete boat anchor before I got it. Once it's finished, I am going to surprise him and give it back as a gift.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Bisley conversion almost done & 76 Win a ways to go

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Mich hunter wrote:Well, the story goes like this. I picked up this stainless Blackhawk on line. It came out of Florid and the previous owner tried to do a home made Bird's head grip. Well, it turned out like junk and I picked the pistol up for $275. No, I always wanted a Bisley in 44mag, but at the time they were not made by Ruger. So.......... I purchased all of the parts to do it myself. Now, the frames that Brownell's sells are rough at times. It took my allot of fitting to get the edges trued and fit, I decided to reatin the original hammer as I prefer it over the Bisley. Some of the replacement parts were also a little rough, so the stones came out for them. All screws have been replaced along with new Wolf springs. I have the trigger down to a hair less than 2lbs. I though it might have been to light of a main spring, but a trip to the range proved me wrong. Now its not perfect, but it will be a fine working man's gun for me. I still have a little polishing left along with a set of Bowen sights to put on. I also don't care for the reproduction plastic grips either. I am shopping for stag right now or another type of antler. I thing stag looks great on the blued guns, but I am willing to try it on a stainless as well. I have to be some what original 8)

At the bottom is another sneak peek at a work in progress. Mike Hunter is currently doing some work for me. The receiver was complete until the postal service decided to drop it hard enough to break ther lower tang. It's an origial 76 Win that was given to me from a close friend of my dad. It was his great grandfathers and it was a complete boat anchor before I got it.

Once it's finished, I am going to surprise him and give it back as a gift.
now thats a very cool thing to do!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

While the Ruger is very cool, the '76 really caught my attention. very nice! A '76 is the one levergun that has eluded my purchases. I find 'em in really nice (read-expensive) condition or complete junkers. (read-expensive to get running) :D

If Mike Hunter does that nice of a job case coloring, I'm gonna look him up. What caliber is the '76 in and whats the condition of the bore? Shootable?------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Mike Hunter's work is outstanding. He impressed the hell out of me. mike is fixing what another retorer screwed up. Message to all... Do allot of research before sending off a firearm to a gunsmith.. From now on, he gets all of my buisness. The 76 Win was a rust bucket with missing parts when I aquired it. It had been hanging on a wall for quite a few years. After a caribou hunting trip to Canada in 2004, I saw it and inquired about it. With in a month of coming home, I had a box at my door. When I opened it, there was the rifle. I searched high and low for the internals for over 4 years. The original bore was sewer pipe. It was not shootable at all and was beyond a re-lining. The barrel is new and is a 45-60. The previous owners sister wanted to make it into a lamp before it was givien to me. If it would have been shootable, I wouldn't have though about a restoration. But, since it was a hunk, I decided to throw some money into it to become a shooter. No safe queens in my house. But, I decide awhile ago to give it back to the family for them to enjoy. Just seems like the right thing to do.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :D I know what you mean about liking Ruger BH Bisleys....I converted this one last year.

Enjoy It!!! Thanks for sharing, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

But I sure hope you shoot the 76 before you give it back to them!!!!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958