OT-Bobcat on my cousins deck.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Bobcat on my cousins deck.

Post by rangerider7 »

It seems a little to familiar to me. They live in the hill country of Texas. (no pets)

"That'll Be The Day"
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Bobcat on my cousins deck.

Post by Jaguarundi »

Neat pics. 8) We have quite a few Bobs around here also.The Bama Bobcats are mostly nocturnal.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

I have a Bobcat in my house all the time, well half a Bobcat.

A Pixie-Bob, half domestic Tabby Cat and half Bobcat. Here he is with my daughter's Australian Shepard. The dog raised him for the first 6 months of his life.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

They're interesting for a couple minutes, but they're varmints.

In Texas, as far as I know, there's no season, and no limit.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Here in Washington State Bobcats are considered to be small game and a license is required and there is a season, Statewide: Sept. 1, 2009 - Mar. 15, 2010.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

They are not game animals here in Texas. I have killed two so far this year. They take awhile to call up. About twice as long as coyotes. We would like to get the quail population back going on the ranch and between the predators, hawks, road runners, fire ants, and the draughts it's tough.
"That'll Be The Day"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

We have plenty of those kittys around the ranch and they are great killers of the worthless ground squirrels. I was washing dishes one afternoon and spotted one out in the yard as he was sneaking up on a cottontail. He went under two pickups and our jeep, but never got the bunny. The rabbit was splayed out in the shade, taking it easy, until it got wind of the cat. A short dash and it was under the C-can that houses the tack and feed for the horses. The cat just strolled out and under the fence like he had nothing else to do. Funny routine at the time. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

We see sign occasionally on our place, but rarely the critter itself.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bobcats can be some real mean kitties. Back around 1972, I was deer hunting in the George Washington National Forest which is not too far from where "Hobie" lives. Late one afternoon, a guy was making his way along a stream that had some overhanging trees along the bank. All of a sudden, a bobcat jumped from a tree onto his head. Mauled the hell out of his neck, head, and face. He ended up in the hospital over in Staunton, VA for the rest of the week instead of deer hunting.
ED
Yer never too old
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Modoc ED wrote:Bobcats can be some real mean kitties. Back around 1972, I was deer hunting in the George Washington National Forest which is not too far from where "Hobie" lives. Late one afternoon, a guy was making his way along a stream that had some overhanging trees along the bank. All of a sudden, a bobcat jumped from a tree onto his head. Mauled the hell out of his neck, head, and face. He ended up in the hospital over in Staunton, VA for the rest of the week instead of deer hunting.
Yeah, they are real big on dropping off of high place onto game and anyone they get a chance at. Our cat jumps up onto the top of doors, left open and jumps down onto your shoulder as you walk by. Scares the stuff out of you the first few times. I have a neighbor that has the same problem with is 100% Bobcat he raise from a kitten.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rangerider7 wrote:It seems a little to familiar to me. They live in the hill country of Texas. (no pets)
Well.... not anymore! :lol:
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Trap him and I'll come get him!

My high-school mascot is the Bobcats -- I still live within 5 miles (good or sad? I can't decide).

We would have people bring them to football games every once in a while -- in a cage of course... good fun.

Chad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat pics! While sitting there with his eyes closed, they look so nice and calm....like you could walk up to it and pet it. :o :o --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Bobcats can be some real mean kitties. Back around 1972, I was deer hunting in the George Washington National Forest which is not too far from where "Hobie" lives. Late one afternoon, a guy was making his way along a stream that had some overhanging trees along the bank. All of a sudden, a bobcat jumped from a tree onto his head. Mauled the hell out of his neck, head, and face. He ended up in the hospital over in Staunton, VA for the rest of the week instead of deer hunting.
Yeah, they are real big on dropping off of high place onto game and anyone they get a chance at. Our cat jumps up onto the top of doors, left open and jumps down onto your shoulder as you walk by. Scares the stuff out of you the first few times. I have a neighbor that has the same problem with is 100% Bobcat he raise from a kitten.
When I was a kid, a neighbor who worked for F&G had built an enclosure for a rescued/confiscated declawed "pet" bobcat.

All of us kids would wrestle with Casper, and we took particular pleasure in when he would pounce us from one of his treebranches.

Good Cat. Never bit, loved the attention. Was a great game to him.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

When I lived north of Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, there was a lady that had a bobcat that lived in her basement, and could be seen out picking up roadkilled deer and elk in her fancy sportscar. My fiancee at the time and I actually got to go down into it's cage; Never mind having a knife and outweighing it by 150 lbs., I truly knew what it felt like to be "prey". The best I could hoped for was to keep it off of Sindy until she got out of the cage. Those animals are absolutely silent, even when they're moving around a few feet away. Their teeth are a hell of a lot bigger when you're in their cage, too!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Your right on that one Travis!
One morning day last month I walked out into my enclosed sun porch
with my cup of coffee/newspaper and when I opened the kitchen
door to go into the sunporch and just started to sit down, out from under the bar this HUGE KILLER(MAYBE RABID :D )Squirrel came
flying right over the coffee table and was slamming into the window
3 feet from me.(wife said she left the slider door open all day the day before because it was so nice but closed it at night???
It must of ran under the bar when she closed the slider.
Cant imagine if that was a bobcat!! :shock:
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

One of the guys from my office was making sales calls down around Price Utah about two months ago and stopped his truck when he saw a woman walking her Bobcat on a leash....he even snapped a picture and talked to her.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the pics and yes he looks a little too comfortable lying on the porch.

A deputy had one as a pet. He ended up getting rid of it as it got too aggressive. It was bigger than I thought a bobcat would be, but then it was domesticated and ate every day. It was declawed, but would put some nasty bites on his arms.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:When I was a kid, a neighbor who worked for F&G had built an enclosure for a rescued/confiscated declawed "pet" bobcat.

All of us kids would wrestle with Casper, and we took particular pleasure in when he would pounce us from one of his treebranches.

Good Cat. Never bit, loved the attention. Was a great game to him.
Oh heck, I can beat that. Our neightborhood had a pet alligator. All of us kids played with it. It was about a four footer back then. Years later (like twenty) a new family moved in. When the kid told mom about the alligator, she went ballistic and called animal control. The took the gator, it was being abused, yea that's why it was thirty plus years old, and the people didn't have permit. Enohg people got on a petiton, they got the permit, and got the gator back. But no more kids could play with it. It was probably a ten footer by then. Too bad, I think the gator missed the kids.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad