OT-Swede Mauser peep sight ID?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Swede Mauser peep sight ID?

Post by awp101 »

Picked this up at the last show, it was unusual enough to grab my attention:

1917 Carl Gustav Swede Mauser, all the numbers that I can find so far match (haven't taken it out of the stock yet), bent bolt, stock somewhat sanded and the middle barrel band (I think) moved to the muzzle to give it a Mannlicher look.

Any ideas on the origin of the peep sight and maybe front sight? No markings anywhere:

No import marks but I have to guess it's been sporterized. I just can't figure out if it was Bubba or Olaf? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Swede Mauser peep sight ID?

Post by awp101 »

Recessed crown:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Olaf,
Too nice of a job for Bubba
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

The receiver sight looks like one of the simpler (ie, non-click) Redfields. In addition to a range of Swedish and Norwegian made diopter sights, the Lyman 48M was also used on 96/38 Swedish Mauser target rifles.

http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku. ... c/id/12445

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/targetsights.html

Edit: Pic Added
Maybe a 102M...?

"The No.102 is a bare-bones basic hunting sight and windage/elevation adjustments are made by sliding the respective mechanisms. It will not adjust quickly and is made for setting a given zero and staying there. Although simple, it is all steel and virtually indestructible. "
Bartman
Levergunner

Post by Bartman »

That is the front band where it should be, it has been shortened by about 6 inches recrowned and the front sight is probablt got a screw under the dovetail into the barrel and soldered. The original rifle had a 29inch barrel so it should be about 23 inches now? The middle band was a flat band with the sling attachment and the top wood went under that and fitted under the reciever ring at the other end. No Idea about the reciever sight it would have had a ladder type originally mouted to the barrel. Some target model swedes had reciever sights but they were big and ugly but very effective, great cartridges too, nice looking rifle.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, I knew it had been cut and the middle barrel band was missing but it's been so long since I had a Swede that I forgot what the bands looked like and didn't realize that IS the front band. Not sure on the length, haven't measured yet.

Thanks Bruce! This is Bubba's work since I'm now 99% sure the receiver sight is a Redfield 102M.

I know I overpaid but this rifle fits a couple of niches I wanted to fill. I've been wanting to play with a 6.5 caliber for accuracy and I've been wanting a sporterized mil-surp that was well done which this one seems to be so far. I figured I'd have to buy the rifle and rechamber/rebarrel but it looks like I was able to meet both goals without any additional work. And the bore is about as perfect as I've seen short of an unissued rifle. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Being an affectionado of the Swede M96, would you be so kind as to post a picture of the armory disc in the stock?

Definitely an M102 Redfield. I am looking for an 'Elit for mine. My M96 out shoots me by a long shot (pun intended), it'll lay a five shot group within a fifty cent piece at 300 yards if I do my part.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sure! I should be able to do so today.

Wife had gallbladder surgery Friday. Right now she feels like getting up and around so I may be hopping for a bit.;)
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, the moment passed and she's back asleep so here's the pic:

Of course I have no idea what it means since I never bothered to learn how to decode them... :? :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

awp101 wrote:Of course I have no idea what it means since I never bothered to learn how to decode them... :? :lol:
The text says "Overshoot with torpedo bullet: 0 lines". "Torpedammunition m/41" was a ammunition m/41 with 139 grs FMJ spitzer boat tail ball, that succeded "Projektil m/94" with 156 grs round nose ball.

The number in the narrow angle are inspector's marks for the barrel, in the wide angle for barrel dimensions.

Worth reading: http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/r ... rifles.htm

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks Old Sh, I was hoping you'd chime in... :wink:

I have done some digging this morning and I've noticed that mine doesn't have the "6,51" and "6,46" on the caliber section of the disk like I've been seeing on the examples I've found. Any particular reason or just one that slipped through the cracks?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Not about the Swede rifles but I remember reading about the Danish 8MM Krag rifles. Up through WWI their sniper models sported various receiver or peep sights. Which would make some sense due to climatic conditions and the problems experienced with early period scopes. I don't think the Swedish military ever used anything but scopes for their sniping rifles.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Thanks for the picture awp...

The small vector with the 1, 2, & 3 is the armorer's visual bore condition. No mark is excellent (bright shiney bore, sharp rifling, no wear), mark above the 1 is very good to good (Bright lands, sharp rifling, slight wear), mark above the 2 is good to fair (Bright lands, sharp rifling, dark grooves, some slight pitting in grooves, some wear), and mark above the 3 indicates time to re-barrel. The mark above two numbers incidicates a condition between the two indicators, such as yours, it would be a 1.5 or "good".

The two sets of numbers in the larger vector illustrates bore dimensions, the inner one for the land dimension and the outer for the groove dimension. Yours states a 6.50 mm bore dimension on the inner and standard spec on the outer (no mark) or groove dimension. Another words, your bore is right at factory specs.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

IOW if mine doesn't group for squat, check for a loose trigger nut... :lol:

Thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like a nifty sporter.

I had a Model 38 for a long time. That's one i wish I'd never let get away!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:I had a Model 38 for a long time. That's one i wish I'd never let get away!!
A buddy of mine had a non-sporterized m96(?) that he and I traded back and forth for a couple of years before one of us (don't remember but I think it was him :wink: ) finally sold it.

He said it was like the old joke about two horse traders who would buy and sell the same horse to each other at a slightly higher price until one of them finally sold it to the Cavalry. His buddy said "You durn fool! We were BOTH making a good living off that horse!" :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at