WTK About BARNES "0" and Woodleigh .458 Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

WTK About BARNES "0" and Woodleigh .458 Bullets

Post by 86er »

Barnes:
Specifically the 400 grain for use in 45-70. Is this an all copper bullet? If not what is the construction? Any experiences on game? Accuracy and recipes?

Woodleigh:
Specifically the 405 grain for use in 45-70.
I have used the .411's and they say Premium Jacketed Soft Nose. I would call them a round nose more than a flat point. What is the jacket thickness of the .458's? Are they flat point or round nose? Any experiences on game? Accuracy and recipes?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have used the Barnes 400 original. It is a standard copper jacket/lead core construction. There was at one point 2 versions with different jacket thickness. Now I believe there is just one version. I used IMR-3031 in remington cases with cci primers and loaded to 1600fps for hunting. The bullets performed well with good expansion and no core seperations.
I've not used woodleigh in 45/70, however I use the 535 grain woodleigh in my 50 alaskan with good results.