Range Report: Original Winchester Model 53 44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Range Report: Original Winchester Model 53 44-40

Post by KirkD »

Well it's been a couple weeks since I was at the range, so since I was driving right by it today, I figured I'd stop in and try out my 'new' rifle for which I'd done an even trade for an original Winchester Model 1886 .45-70, full octagon, half mag, made in 1904.

The 'new' rifle: An original Winchester Model 53 in caliber 44-40 (44 W.C.F.) made in 1928. Now I know that some of you might be thinking, 'he traded away an original Winchester '86 .45-70 for a Model 53!!!???' Yep! That's right ..... and I am very pleased with the trade. According to Madis, there were only 3,293 Model 53's made in caliber 44-40, which makes the Model 53 44-40 one of the rarest Winchester Model/caliber combinations. It is very seldom that you will find one for sale anywhere, including auctions such as GunBroker and RIA, or on the normal websites selling vintage Winchesters. I've wanted one of these for about 20 years. A friend of mine had one and I would casually mention, from time to time, that if he ever wanted to part with it, to let me know. Well, he finally did. The Model 53 44-40 was the final iteration of the Winchester Model 1892/92/53 line for the 44-40 caliber. Winchester did come out with one more iteration of the original Model 1892 action after this in the form of the Model 65, but the 44-40 caliber was not offered for that model. This is a very light, fast-handling little rifle. From the photos below, you can get an idea of its compactness and fast-handling ability ...... quite a change from the earlier original Winchester 1892 full octagon barrel version, itself a nice little rifle ....

Load: 16 grains of 2400 under a 200 grain plain base cast bullet sized to .429, yielding an average chronographed velocity of 1,248 fps. (The exact same load in my older Model 1892 44-40 rifle, with a barrel 2" longer, gives 1,294 fps.).

100 yards:: Today, I wanted to get an idea of how accurate this load is in this little rifle, so I rested my rifle on my shooting bag, while sitting at a bench, and squeezed off 3 shots. The wall thickness of the barrel is so thin, that I figured I'd start with just a 3-shot group in case the point of impact changed as the barrel heated up. The result was a 3-shot group of 1 & 7/8" at 100 yards, photo of target below .....

Then I got to wondering what 5 shots would do with no cooling and starting off with a pretty warm barrel already, so I set up a new target and fired another 5 rounds. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 5 shot group was 2 & 5/8" at 100 yards. I was pleased because, first of all, the sight radius is pretty short for my old eyes with this 22" barrel. Secondly, that barrel was very hot when I finished, yet it did not seem to affect accuracy. A photo of this target is below ......

If you place the two targets on top of each other, the bullseye bullet hole widens the group to be an 8-shot group of 2 & 7/8" at 100 yards, with 7 of the shots still within the original 2 & 5/8" group.

Offhand shooting: I finished off with 10 shots fired down range at the target, which was on an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper. I did not take my time to carefully aim and fire, but I did not fire the 10 shots fast either ..... moderately fast, but I know I could have done better if I'd taken my time for each shot and disciplined myself for better control. Still, 6 of the shots were within a 2 & 1/4" radius of the center of the bullseye, 8 shots were within a 4 & 3/4" radius, and only one shot was off the bottom of the paper .... a called low shot the moment I pulled the trigger. This is not great shooting, but for my first time offhand shooting with this little rifle, I am very happy with how easy it is to accurately shoot, if I will do my part. I think I will up the velocity for my next load .... I'd like something between 1,350 fps and 1,400 fps. I'll see what another grain of 2400 chronographs at.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Report: Original Winchester Model 53 44-40

Post by Borregos »

Another great report Kirk, thanks.
You and that old levergun shoot well :D It is a real nice looking rifle :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

All I can say is Wow!!!

Very nice!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

KirkD wrote:I did not take my time to carefully aim and fire, but I did not fire the 10 shots fast either ..... moderately fast, but I know I could have done better if I'd taken my time for each shot and disciplined myself for better control.
I'm glad someone else has that problem the first time they take a new goodie to the range... :wink:

Good lookin' rifle!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice trade, Kirk. Handy looking little rifle. Personally, I just never have warmed up to the button mags.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Fine looking rifle Kirk and really good groups with it. Was that picture of you and the rifle taken at your place,is that the Conestoga river behind you ?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another excellent range report Kirk - thank you for sharing! :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Fine looking rifle Kirk and really good groups with it. Was that picture of you and the rifle taken at your place,is that the Conestoga river behind you ?
Jerry, that photo was taken in my backyard. The valley behind is where the Conestoga River flows. My alfalfa field where the groundhogs hide out and get fat is down by the river.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Real pretty. A future calender candidate? 1886.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

KIrk, another great rifle and some fine shooting. Fine report you have filed also I might say.

BTW, you look as if you may have lost some weight from previous pics. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage wrote:BTW, you look as if you may have lost some weight from previous pics. :)
Loosing weight for me is about as hard as swearing off old Winchesters. I love food and old Winchesters, so I eat like a horse and shoot. I've probably lost one or two pounds since spring has arrived .... my chiropractor, who is a health fanatic, recommended that I work off another 3 or 4 ....... I still haven't figured out how much a fellow burns off when he pulls the trigger and then levers in another round, but I'm thinking I'll have to do a lot of shooting this summer and fall if I'm going to burn up 4 pounds. :lol: Too bad that when a fellow shoots, he couldn't burn up fat at the same rate as he burns up powder .... but then maybe it would be too much work to shoot.
94deluxe
Levergunner

Post by 94deluxe »

Kirk i have the same gun as you #1510. My bore slugs at .4295 and i have been using a .430 200g plain base bullet (would really like to try .431). I also like 16g of 2400 but my chrono measures this load at approximately 1420fps ave. I wonder why the difference in velocity?
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great range report and great shooting Kirk. That's a nifty rifle. I see why you were willing to make the trade that you did.
ED
Yer never too old
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

94deluxe wrote:Kirk i have the same gun as you #1510. My bore slugs at .4295 and i have been using a .430 200g plain base bullet (would really like to try .431). I also like 16g of 2400 but my chrono measures this load at approximately 1420fps ave. I wonder why the difference in velocity?
I wouldn't be surprised if my groove diameter is similar to yours ..... I have not had the time to slug it yet. I think my groups would tighten up a bit if I went to a .430 bullet. You are getting some pretty good speed with 16 grains of 2400. I've found that the exact same load will give different velocities in different guns, when I chronograph them. I suspect it may be something to do with slight differences in groove diameter, as well as differences in the hardness of the bullet.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I was surprised at the low velocity for Kirk, thinking of this as if it were a 44 Spl in a rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Don't be afraid to let that 53 unwind, Kirk. Up 'yer loads to that little gem's true potential. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mike D. wrote:Don't be afraid to let that 53 unwind, Kirk. Up 'yer loads to that little gem's true potential. :mrgreen:
I'd like to develop a load that approximates Winchester's original H.V. load. However, my current cast bullets are soft and I don't think they will be hard enough to take the increased velocity. However, I will do some experimentation to see how high I can go before the groups start opening up.
94deluxe
Levergunner

Post by 94deluxe »

Anyone know of a 200g gas check bullet for 44-40? I tried some lyman 215g gc that were intended for 44mag but they are a little too long from crimp groove to point.
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Congrats on a very pretty and sweet shooting little rifle. :D :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
You sure do have a rare one. Nice find! Even here, in the "Land of Winchesters", I have only seen two or three (in 30+years!)

Your 53 in 44-40 is better than money in the bank, but.......................... so was that '86.

Now that the "pleasantries" are over with................ Are you crazy??? an '86 for a 53?? I'm gonna pistol whip you!! :D :D

Thats OK, just take good care of it. After all, we are all just "temporary custodians" of these fine pieces of art. :wink: -------------- Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Now that the "pleasantries" are over with................ Are you crazy??? an '86 for a 53?? I'm gonna pistol whip you!! :D :D
Well, the way I look at it, I can get an original '86 .45-70 any day of the week ... there are several dozen on Gunbroker right now, but not so much as a single Model 53 in 44-40 caliber. There's something special about the Model 53 44-40. It marks the end of the line of models that Winchester chambered the 44-40 cartridge in, their first center fire cartridge (not counting modern commemoratives). It has a mystique (although that '86 did too).
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You can't own them all but you can own more of them serially - that is what I have done.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BEAUTIFUL rifle Kirk. That looks like cover material for next calender!!. Great report. thanks so much. It is always and enjoyable learning read on your posts. :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Excellent range report with a rare beauty 8) :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Thats a mighty fine shoot'n iron ya got there....
excellent report too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Amazing KD, thats fine shooting! See what you mean by it's size, not much bigger than a 22.

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: That sure is a beauty! Congrats on the trade and Good Luck with it! Maybe you'll slap the clover out of a bunch of groundhogs for fun. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!