Uberti or Chappie 1876 in 45-60 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Uberti or Chappie 1876 in 45-60 WCF

Post by kimwcook »

I know these two rifles have been discussed on here before, but I would like to ask if you could buy either one of them, in 45-60, which one would you buy and why. Plus, those of you with 1876 experience which bbl. length would you chose and why.
Old Law Dawg
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: Uberti or Chappie 1876 in 45-60 WCF

Post by barbarossa »

I had the same decision a while back.Was going to buy a Chap mountie carbine in 45/60 but all the bad press about them made me a bit leary, though the dealer did have a no nonesense return policy.Then on the other my experience with Uberti has always been good so when a 76 centennial showed up I grabbed it and haven t look back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Barbarossa, which barrel did you get? Would you change it and if you would, for which length?
Old Law Dawg
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I got the 28inch barrel and though the shorter carbine barrel would be handier for hunting I love the look of the longer barrel It is a massive gun though but beautiful.I will have to buy a uberti 76 carbine though just because(but don t tell my wife)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Your secrets safe with me. :wink: I can't speak for the rest of the forum or cyber world.
Old Law Dawg
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I would recommend the Uberti. Mine is the short rifle with 22 inch barrel. :D

By the way, I understand that Cimarron is going to be bringing in the Uberti 76 in a SRC version soon. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I bought the Taylors (Uberti) with a 28" barrel and I like it. I agree that for hunting, it is perhaps not the easiest rifle to carry in the woods with that barrel length but it dang sure is accurate.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a good Chapparal NWMP SRC in .45-75 but I think the law of averages would be with you if you got the Uberti. One just doesn't hear the complaints about the Uberti that you often hear about the Chapparal.

If it was me, emphasis here, ME, I'd get the 22" and after some experimentation to see if it was a good accurate barrel I'd cut it to half-round and make the magazine a button mag. I'd also change the buttplate to a shotgun butt configuration.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've not had a modern '76, but both the original '76s I've had had the standard 28" barrel. I like Hobie's idea, but if I was not planning to do any mods, and I just wanted a '76 for old times sake, then I would get the 28" barrel for two reasons:

1. It was the standard length on the original '76s
2. I am finding that the longer sight radius makes at a lot easier to shoot very accurately ...... and I mean a lot easier with older eyes.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kim -

I bought the Chappie, but that was before Uberti came out with their's. This is what brought me to this forum - researching loads for the .45-60 WCF. Like Hobie, I got a good one (mine also sports a 28" barrel), but in the fit and finish department it is not in the same class as the Uberti's I have. I probably should have been patient, but after seeing one at the NRA annual meeting in Houston, I could wait!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I had the Uberti 76 w/ the 28" barrel. It was a wonderful rifle. I think Kirk is dead on with his reasoning. Only one experience w/a Chappy product and it was not positive but it I reiterate, I have only had one experience so it is hardly enough to draw any real conclusions. FYI, my Uberti would not accept shortened .45-70 brass. The rims were too thick. The new Lyman reloading manual has a section dedicated to loading and shooting the repro. 76. I would like to revisit the 76 but it would have to be a .50-95. 1886.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the replies guys. I know buying a Chappie is a stuff shoot as to what your going to get. The Uberti's are generally better made and they have relatively easy access points to get warranty work done. What makes me pause is that the guys who purchased Chappie's that ran are extremely pleased with their accuracy. I haven't heard the same of the Uberti's. Plus, the Chappie's were made following the original '76 blueprints using American threads. I don't know if that's true of the Uberti's and in fact I doubt it. I suspect they use metric threads.

Then there's the issue of the bbl. length. I know the 28" is traditional, but that's pretty dog gone long. Although, not as long as my Shiloh and I've packed it hunting (insert real heavy).

I'm getting real close to biting the bullet and placing an order. I just want to be as well informed as possible from people who have real experience with them. Again thanks.
Old Law Dawg
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

kimwcook wrote: I suspect they use metric threads.
Thats what I thought too until I bought a nice tang sight on the classified a while back and it turned out that my Uberti has standard SAE threads.

Good luck with whichever you decide and I will cross my fingers and hope you get a good one :)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

kimwcook wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I know buying a Chappie is a stuff shoot as to what your going to get. The Uberti's are generally better made and they have relatively easy access points to get warranty work done. What makes me pause is that the guys who purchased Chappie's that ran are extremely pleased with their accuracy. I haven't heard the same of the Uberti's. Plus, the Chappie's were made following the original '76 blueprints using American threads. I don't know if that's true of the Uberti's and in fact I doubt it. I suspect they use metric threads.

Then there's the issue of the bbl. length. I know the 28" is traditional, but that's pretty dog gone long. Although, not as long as my Shiloh and I've packed it hunting (insert real heavy).

I'm getting real close to biting the bullet and placing an order. I just want to be as well informed as possible from people who have real experience with them. Again thanks.
If you go with the Chappie, do some close checking on who is backing the warranty and whether or not they have parts ON HAND. Charter Arms was the original distributor and they have pretty well stood behind their stuff, and seem to have parts at last report. There are other distributors who are selling these for as low as $699, but they don't have parts on hand. Charter Arms no longer catalogs the 76, WILL NOT provide any warranty support for those rifles sold by other distributors. Some folks report having to get parts out of Italy - possible, but slow!

I do not base this on rumor, but first hand reports by folks I know and shoot with on a regular basis.

In addition, check out this thread from the SASS WIRE: Colorado Coffinmaker's post #13 seems to support the experience of others I know. He is a well known CAS Gunsmith, and not prone to shouting "wolf" without reason!

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?sho ... 49&hl=1876
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I bought the Chappie, but that was before Uberti came out with their's. This is what brought me to this forum
So we have Chapparal to blame for this... :lol:

:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What about the Cimarron '76 http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... 76Cent.htm ? Are these Uberti? or Chappie?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

KirkD wrote:What about the Cimarron '76 http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... 76Cent.htm ? Are these Uberti? or Chappie?
The Cimarron 76 is Uberti. :)

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I bought the Chappie, but that was before Uberti came out with their's. This is what brought me to this forum
So we have Chapparal to blame for this... :lol:

:mrgreen:
Very specifically, it is all Kirk's fault! :wink: He was kind enough to answer my questions on that original post, and his article on the .45-60 WCF was so well written that I just wanted to come back for more knowledge. You guys are a welcoming crowd. And heck, since you've allowed me to stay, we all know your standards aren't too high! :lol:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Very specifically, it is all Kirk's fault! :wink: He was kind enough to answer my questions on that original post, and his article on the .45-60 WCF was so well written that I just wanted to come back for more knowledge.
Ha! I just got my new .45-60 brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge yesterday. Y'all ain't heard the last of the Model 1876 .45-60! I aim to take it hunting in the fall. Good chance I'll be leading more folks into temptation.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hey Kimwcook, There is wealth of mistakes and decisions made and pain and glory out on the CASCITY.com website. There is a forum called Winchester 1876. Read it and make your decision.

I have a number of replys and situations concerning the Chapparals, there.

I bought two Chapparals in the 45-75 caliber and do not regret that pain I went through, as it helped me become more convinced to holdout for an original Winchester!!!! :lol:

The barrel length you desire, is what your going to do with it. I really like the 22" barrels and they are great out to 200 yards. After that, I cannot see the target, so why bother with a longer barrel! :D

The Chapparal's, you can use original Winchester parts. I know, cause that is how I rebuilt one! :wink:

I have an original Winchester 45-60, that had been cut down (probabaly, originally a 28" barrel ) to 23.5" barrel. I had it relined and the crown corrected and I love it! Added a tang sight and globe front sight and she is grand! :D

I would advise you to save your money until you can purchase an original Winchester.

Welcome to the journey that never ends!!!! :lol:

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I have a Uberti with a 28" barrel. I shot it over the weekend and really like it. I bought the Uberti because the shop I deal with is willing to order two of them at once and let you choose. They like to try to keep one in stock. I talked to them about the Chappy but they wouldn't order them any more because of quality control problems. I have heard some Chappies having excess headspace. So if you can look and return if it has problems it may be the way to go. They say that the barrels are very good and can really shoot. However my Uberti put five shots in a 1-7/16" group this past weekend at 64 paces. I may have done better with different sights. I dont care for the rear sight notch on my gun. But I hear that the Chappys sights are bad also. If you can scrape up enough money and get a good origanal do that like okdee and Kurt. But I could never bring myself to pay that much and then shoot it. Especialy with knowing of one guy that blew his up with smokeless. If I didn't get injured I would still cry for a month if that happened.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:And heck, since you've allowed me to stay, we all know your standards aren't too high! :lol:
I sent the club a wire stating,
PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION.
I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB
THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:And heck, since you've allowed me to stay, we all know your standards aren't too high! :lol:
I sent the club a wire stating,
PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION.
I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB
THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

:lol:
Scary, isn't it? :lol:
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have seen only one Chaparral, a .40-60 with 28" barrel. It had a very dull oil finish on very plain wood. The wood-to-metal fit was the worst I've seen in a long while. Metal components showed tool marks. Not one I wanted to buy!

What I did buy was a Uberti made Taylors in .45-60 with 28" barrel. I bought this particular rifle because it has some very exceptional figure in the wood. I like the long barrel, but if I was looking for a hunting rifle a shorter barrel would probably be less cumbersome to carry.

I especially like the .45-60 caliber as it is very easy to make brass from the .45-70 and there are plenty of suitable bullet moulds too. Here is a link to an older post about shooting my Taylors 1876 .45-60:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8780
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta