Rossi 454 lever action...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 454 lever action...

Post by Steve Collins »

I found a stainless Rossi 454 levergun here locally for $475. If I decide to get it, what are the possibilities with that round in the '92 action? I don't have a 454, only have one friend who has a Casull, but this would give me a reason to start loading for it... :D
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 454 lever action...

Post by Old Savage »

The world goes digital today.

You can load the 454 from 45/70 territory on down if the rifle holds up. I guess some haven't.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Old Savage wrote:The world goes digital today.

You can load the 454 from 45/70 territory on down if the rifle holds up. I guess some haven't.
Sad but true...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

On the bright side, it should also feed/fire .45 Colt ammo. :P :P

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one and so far have only shot factory loads in it, and it hasn't loosened perceptably for maybe 90 rounds. Ultimately, I plan to load more like "Colt 45 +P" in it - stuff hotter than you'd shoot in an ordinary .45 Colt (even a new one), but not as hot as .454 full house.

The longer case WILL keep me from accidentally using those reloads in a less sturdy gun, though. I like that.

If I were needing a short handy (handier than a Guide Gun) carbine with plenty of wild-hog or bear power, I'd not hesitate to fire more hot factory loads in it, though.

Get it - it will grow on you. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think AJMD429's advice sounds good. I have a Puma in .480 and shoot mostly hot loads in the 400 grain or above weight and it is doing just fine.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I have a friend who has a FA model 83 454, and thought he might like a levergun to go with it. He hasn't shot it much because he doesn't reload; I'm hoping to change that. If he doesn't want it, I'll take it. That way, I can load up some reduced loads for it, maybe get him shooting more.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have one but the hottest loads I shoot are .45 Colt +P level. For me the gun is just too light for full house .454 loads. I wish the same gun had been available with the shorter .45 Colt chamber so it would shoot lead bullets without catching so much lead residue forward of the case. Besides .45 Colt brass is MUCH cheaper and more readily available.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Old Savage wrote:The world goes digital today.

Sad but true...

Not to hijack the thread, but are there inherent problems with hotter lads in the puma/rossi's. This is the first that I have heard of any problems.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting