winchester high gloss finish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

winchester high gloss finish

Post by gary rice »

anyone know what they use for this? i know alot of you guys dont like it but im curious about what they use to obtain that finish, cant be tru oil can it?
g rice
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

U.S. ? Japan? how old? Model? :?: :?: :?:
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

has to be the jap models i suspect, on the newer browning and winchesters. 1892's and 86's.
Chuck 100 yd wrote:U.S. ? Japan? how old? Model? :?: :?: :?:
g rice
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Well, my Browning BT99 shotgun has a high gloss finish and I suspect it it the same. I think it is some kind of epoxy but have been told it is a laquer with a hardener added and buffed to a high gloss. My Browning 53 looks like the same stuff. Way harder than any oil finish. :wink:
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I thought it was a polyester resin? I know it's dang hard.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Brownings, and I suspect Miroku's, use an epoxy spray finish. Sand and spot refinish at your own peril.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

It is an epoxy and a danged hard one at that. I ended up going to a professional furniture refinisher to have it stripped off my 1886 Browning Hi Grade. I know I wiped out the resale value, but this rifle will be with me until I am gone. It is a shooter and I could not stand the look of that finish. I replaced it with a hand rubbed oil finish. Good luck ever trying to repair it. A good commercial furniture repair/refinisher can get it off for you if that is what you are after.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd