OT Cougar Attack

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

OT Cougar Attack

Post by gamekeeper »

A Canadian mother has fought off a cougar with her bare hands after it pinned down her three-year old daughter in a forest.
The child, named Maya, escaped with only superficial wounds after the attack near the town of Brackendale, 40 miles north of the western city of Vancouver.

But the cougar, an adult male, was tracked down and killed by conservation officers on Wednesday, reports said.

The girl's father Pablo Espinosa told public broadcaster CBC that his daughter thought the wild cat wanted to play.

Maya asked: "Why didn't the kitty play nice?" Mr Espinosa said.

The girl and her mother Maureen Lee were walking on a wooded trail with their dog when the cougar pounced.

"All of a sudden it just flew on her, rolled her a couple of times and grabbed her," Ms Lee told CBC.

"She was on her back and (the cougar) had his paws on her head, and I just knew I had to react quick.

"So I just jumped in there and wedged myself between the cougar and her on the ground."

Maureen said she then threw the big cat off her back, grabbed her daughter and ran.

Maya suffered puncture wounds to her left arm and head, but was reportedly recovering well.

Conservation officers used dogs to track down several cougars in the area after more than 30 encounters with the big cats were reported in the past 10 days, CBC said.
<>
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Cougar Attack

Post by mescalero1 »

I know it's Canada, but I thought Canadian citizens could have hunting rifles?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I attacked a cougar Nov 28 07.. it's on my living room wall even now as I write this.. Les (took him with a Puma levergun 454)
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Game Keeper
Kids in Canada & the US watch cartoons and animal shows and the schools reinforce it by saying dont hunt trap or kill animals and that the animals are your friends, parents have the responsibility to teach their kids about wild animals especially when they live where they can have interaction with them. Mother Nature can be tough on the uninformed. danny
Les good shooting, cats are rearend deep around here.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Glad to hear that the mother could save the little girl. PETA and some other groups around here are getting their propaganda in the grade schools around here now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Cougar:

not a kitten
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Typically the last place you want to be is better a mother anything and her young. Another fine example. Had this been Mrs. YK, she would have bit the cougar's ears off! :shock:
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Les Staley wrote:I attacked a cougar Nov 28 07.. it's on my living room wall even now as I write this.. Les (took him with a Puma levergun 454)
Took the cougar with a Puma, eh? Nice bit of irony there.

Scott
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yeah, I caught that. :wink:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

A few years back, I was vacationing in Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC and there was a bit of a commotion when a young male cougar wandered into the parking garage of the Empress Hotel. The game folks darted it and returned it to the woods.
Colorful place.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

and don't forget the cougar that strayed into a Chicago neighborhood 2-3 years ago. The cops shot that one.

That was not the suburbs, either.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If that cougar would have attacked PillHer or our daughter, then heaven help the cougar. When my wife decides to do something, only God himself can dissuade her. She also carries a pocket knife which I sharpen for her, and it is the type to open with the thumb stud. She is quick with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Cougar grossly underestimated the motherly instinct...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes is all peace and harmony in the woods and those nasty men with guns,, well shame on them killing those big fluffy kitty cats!!! :roll:

Sure wish we had some over here, the woods would be quiet again :P

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Pillar,
You ever seen an Apache or Navajo woman kill and butcher a sheep?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

RSY wrote:
Les Staley wrote:I attacked a cougar Nov 28 07.. it's on my living room wall even now as I write this.. Les (took him with a Puma levergun 454)
Took the cougar with a Puma, eh? Nice bit of irony there.

Scott
Not, he took a puma with a Puma. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

boy --- i have to get my mind out of the gutter. When i saw "Cougar attack" , i envisioned a bleary eyed overly done up 40 or 50 something woman in pink stretch pants staggering towards me in a bar while Journey and Rod Stewart songs play in the background. :shock: :shock:
----- Doug
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Streetstar wrote:boy --- i have to get my mind out of the gutter. When i saw "Cougar attack" , i envisioned a bleary eyed overly done up 40 or 50 something woman in pink stretch pants staggering towards me in a bar while Journey and Rod Stewart songs play in the background. :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, that made my day!!!

ROFLMAO!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Streetstar, you are WAY too literal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

I live about 3 1/2 hours drive away and a buddy of mine lives about 20 minutes away from where this cougar attack happened this had nothing to do with pro or anti firearms these two we're out for a walk on a trail in their neighbourhood nothing more.

This area is on the edge of some of the remotest areas we have here in BC, to get an idea of where this happened the 2010 Winter Olympics are happening in Whistler about 45 minutes drive south.

BC has the highest rate of cougar/mountain lion attacks in the world because there are so many of them up here and there have been multipule sightings this year especially in this area.

It is awesome that the mother was able to fight off the cougar and save the little girl I saw a picture of the mother and daughter and the mother actually looks like a cougar so the attacking cat didn't have much of a chance... :lol:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Streetstar wrote:boy --- i have to get my mind out of the gutter. When i saw "Cougar attack" , i envisioned a bleary eyed overly done up 40 or 50 something woman in pink stretch pants staggering towards me in a bar while Journey and Rod Stewart songs play in the background. :shock: :shock:
I had some old skank in a bar in Meeker, Co. (The V) lean over, put her hand on my leg, and say, "I'm gonna take you home with me." To which I replied,"And do what, bake me cookies?" The bartender, Susie, was cussing me for a week for making her shoot Coke out of her nose!

BTW, my take on the OP? Even Canadian wildlife is sick of Mexicans!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1