Haylage & gophers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Haylage & gophers

Post by BigSky56 »

Was baling hay for haylage and the fields were full of gophers guess Iam going shooting this weekend there was about 200 in a 5 acre meadow. danny

Swath hay let it wilt 6- 8 hrs @ 60 to 75% moisture content, then bale

Stuff into sausage tubes and let it ferment, cows love it. Mtn peaks in the background is the Cabinet Mtn. Wilderness.
Last edited by BigSky56 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Haylage & gophers

Post by kimwcook »

Danny, this teasing is getting to me. :D
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:Danny, this teasing is getting to me. :D
:mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

What a terrible problem you have!

Hope you get it soorted out soon :mrgreen:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like a day of lying around on the job to me (hide and watch, going prone).
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like a job for a .25-20 levergun. Fermented hay eh? ....... How do you get to sleep with the cows partying every night? :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Looks like the Flickertail (what we used to call them) didn't die out in your area. They used to be like that around here. A disease just about wiped them out of this area over 20 years ago. I long ago lost count of the bricks of 22LR I burned on them as a kid and young adult. I haven't even seen one in a year or two. They just never came back after. I miss them and oddly enough most of the ranchers around here do too. They aren't near as destructive as the prairie dog.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

There arent anywheres as bad as PD cept when a badger moves in and starts digging them up a cow or a horse can break a leg in a badger dig heck Ive lost a front tire on the tractor in a Badger dig. A guy can wear out a 22 on these little buggers. Last time I shot some the redtail hawks and bald eagles would get them for they stopped flopping. danny
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

200 on 5 acres?
you could hunt them with your swather.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

don't know why but we call them picket pens.
Danny we used to green chop and put a white powder w/ it (NO NOT THAT STUFF) for haylage both in the bags as you have shown and also in a silage pit ,and as you said they LOVE IT. Fermented dinner.................just get out of the way
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

looks like you are going to have some fun with those animated targets. let us know how it goes
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BigSky56 wrote:There arent anywheres as bad as PD cept when a badger moves in and starts digging them up a cow or a horse can break a leg in a badger dig heck Ive lost a front tire on the tractor in a Badger dig. A guy can wear out a 22 on these little buggers. Last time I shot some the redtail hawks and bald eagles would get them for they stopped flopping. danny
We had a guy here a few years back that went out into an alfalfa field to move a water-line. He stepped knee deep into a badger hole , fell sideways, and broke his knee. He couldn't free his leg from the badger hole and couldn't sit up so he layed there for a few hours waving his arm and hand until his boss went to check out why the water-line had not been moved and found the guy.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Never had gophers to deal with but back east where I grew up we had woodchucks and yes I did use my free time on reducing the number of them in the fields of the guy I worked for. I only had to deal with one cow that stepped in and broke her leg but that was enough for me to really not like woodchucks in the fields and yes it did a job on the tractors and trucks if you hit one and didn't slow down to a crawl to go over it.
My favorite rifle was a savage model 340 in 225 winchester sure took care of the woodchuck when it hit. For some stupid reason I sold or traded that rifle and have hated myself ever since as I used a 70 grain bullet in it and could nail a woodchuck out to 300-350 yards with it almost every time if I did my part.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV