OT: Neck sizing question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Neck sizing question

Post by J Miller »

My Midway order came today and I now have a brand new RCBS 303 British Neck Size die.

My question for those who use neck size dies is; do you use lube? If so, what?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Neck sizing question

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Joe, I still use the Lee Sizing Lube, even though they say you do not need it. As far as loading my .303's, since I shoot cast w/GC's that are sized .312", I use a Lee neck expander to flare the opening just a tad.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Joe...I use Hornady's spray on lube for all of my cases, whether or not they are neck-sized or full length re-sized. I put the clean cases in a loading block just for lubing, give them all a good quick spray, let it dry for about 10 or 15 seconds, and run 'em thru the sizer die. Pretty quick and easy...no mess.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hi Joe, I generally try to avoid any lube when neck sizing. I chuck the expander assembly in a drill and polish the expander button with crocus paper. Makes things run real smooth. Good Luck, 1886.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I never have used lube with the Lee Collet Neck sizers.. I do rotate the case a tad and run the case back in the collet so they're sized where the collet slots are.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I never have used lube with the Lee Collet Neck sizers.. I do rotate the case a tad and run the case back in the collet so they're sized where the collet slots are.
+ 1
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

For the most part you don't need lube just to neck size, but it doesn't hurt anything to use it. It just might prevent a little neck stretching if you lube.

In the main, I think Lee products suck, but I must admit their collet neck sizing dies are the best notion they have ever had, and they certainly don't need any lube.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I use and recommend graphite powder, especially if you are expanding. (.308 > .358. 30-06 > 35 Whelen) etc. I think it stresses the neck brass less to use a lube. You can get it at Midway and other places I'm sure.

Inexpensive, works great.

PS: Ahhh, remember when you could buy once fired .308 and 30-06 brass for next to nothing... Those were the days.

How's that "Change you can believe in" workin out for you?
JP_TX
444 Marlin
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JP_TX wrote:I use and recommend graphite powder, especially if you are expanding. (.308 > .358. 30-06 > 35 Whelen) etc. I think it stresses the neck brass less to use a lube. You can get it at Midway and other places I'm sure.

PS: Ahhh, remember when you could buy once fired .308 and 30-06 brass for next to nothing... Those were the days.

I've got a bit of graphite, and a bottle of micah as well. Sizing the necks down doesn't concern me too much, but when the expander pulls through sometimes they do drag a lot.

You know, I've never been a fan of the 308 or 30-06. I've got one of each, but I'd much rather play with my 303 Brit. I do remember the days of plenty, yes ... those were the days.

The "Change you can believe in" hasn't affected me yet. Guess they lost my address.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

J Miller wrote:
JP_TX wrote:I use and recommend graphite powder, especially if you are expanding. (.308 > .358. 30-06 > 35 Whelen) etc. I think it stresses the neck brass less to use a lube. You can get it at Midway and other places I'm sure.

I've got a bit of graphite, and a bottle of micah as well. Sizing the necks down doesn't concern me too much, but when the expander pulls through sometimes they do drag a lot.

You know, I've never been a fan of the 308 or 30-06. I've got one of each, but I'd much rather play with my 303 Brit. I do remember the days of plenty, yes ... those were the days.

The "Change you can believe in" hasn't affected me yet. Guess they lost my address.

Joe
Joe, Polishing the expander button will pretty much eliminate the dragging you feel as the case neck is pulled from the die. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well then, I guess I'll have to polish it if it needs it. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it is.

With my luck it'll start out at .311 or what ever and end up at .283. But it'll be smooth :roll:

Joe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

J Miller wrote:Well then, I guess I'll have to polish it if it needs it. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it is.

With my luck it'll start out at .311 or what ever and end up at .283. But it'll be smooth :roll:

Joe
Just go easy. A little goes a long way. 1886.