Anyone seen the Marlin 1895SBL?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SFRanger7GP

Anyone seen the Marlin 1895SBL?

Post by SFRanger7GP »

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/ ... 895SBL.asp

Has anyone seen or bought this rifle yet? I believe it is an allocated item and I need one. My current 1895 is set up similar. I have the XS sights and the scout mount with a Leupold scope on it and it works great, but I would love to upgrade to this model.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Anyone seen the Marlin 1895SBL?

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOW WOULD IT BE AN "UPGRADE" FROM YOUR CURRENT 1895 ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If your current rifle works great, what part of the new one would be better?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

It would be great if it lost the loopy lever and the picatiny rail and the xs sights and the pistol grip....

I'd salivate if it had a normal lever, straight grip, dovetailed bead front sight and wgrs rear site. And a 16" barrel.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I believe that rifle was a direct result of asking Marlin owners what they wanted in a rifle. I remember something about it from over on Marlinowners .com. It's kind of nice to have a gun company listen to what you want and then respond. The only thing I don't like about the 19895SBL is the lever and the wood, otherwise it's just how my GG is set up except I don't have a full length mag tube. Great handy little rifles. I like the idea of a bigger lever loop but don't like the looks. I think I would like one that is about half inch deeper and longer then a regular one.
Ricky

DWWC
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Any "Allocated" item can be ordered from Davidson's by your dealer. If your dealer doesn't have one have them call Davidson's and request one and if one is available and they (your dealer) hasn't exceed their allotment you will get it.

Why doesn't this seem to be a difficult procedure?

And, BTW, "need" isn't a word which really applies to firearms except in very few specific situations, the word is WANT.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I think the "upgrade" for me would be stainless steel, the full length magazine tube and the full length rail for a forward as well as normal scope mount.

My main question stated up front was: Has anyone seen or bought this rifle yet? I understand allocated; and yes, I do need one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:If your current rifle works great, what part of the new one would be better?
Joe
Hey Buddy... :evil:

Are you some kind of a TROLL on this site...? What have you done with our buddy J Miller...? You'd best not mess with him...!

Whatdya mean asking a pinko commie question like that..? We don't want trouble-makers around here...

This is a GUN forum - in fact, it is a LEVER gun forum. . . . and that gun is a shiny, new, LEVER gun.

It doesn't matter if it is the SAME as the one he has, he STILL needs it.

Even if it isn't as good as the one he already has, he NEEDS that gun, so he'll have one to compare it with.

Darned infiltrator SPY is what you are...!

:?:

:?: . . . Say . . . did my WIFE put you up to that post . . . ?

:roll: :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I played with one at the SHOT show. It was the only variation of Marlin 1895 that I've personally taken an interest in. I am not a collector and with a modern rifle I do not get misty eyed with nostalgia. The SBL has the features I would want in a "work rifle". Minimum worry about rust, extra round capacity, sighting options, a stock that hides scratches and dings. I do not have a strong preference for a large loop over a standard one but I have been hit in the knuckles shooting heavy loads with a standard lever - so the large loop might be the answer. I felt the long mag tube gave it better balance than the shorter tube on the GG's. The one example at the shot show had a heavy trigger and the action felt "gritty" but I chalked that up to being a sample handled by tons of people. The recoil pad was not the best for slowing the gun down - it was kind of hard. I wish they raised the comb on the stock a little so I didn't have to lift my face any to see through a scope. If I aquired one I would chance the recoil pad to a kick eze or limbsaver and start shooting. I hope this helps you some.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

AJMD429: Thanks for your support. As a "not wanting to recover gunaholic", I am always eager to participate in support groups and am open to all sponsors and enablers!

86er: Thanks for the info. I am thinking that new Marlin would be a great working rifle. I have plenty traditional guns to comfort me and keep me misty eyed (haha!). The Marlin appears to be a good, ugly, working gun that wouldn't make me misty eyed when I scratched it! I saw your Rogue Water Buffalo hunt (too slow to respond) How does Water Buffalo taste compared to regular Buffalo/Bison? The young buffalo I killed on your place last year was some great eating.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

This is my 1895 XLR I had done a while back. Clements custom guns did it for me. When I saw the new Marlin, I was shocked. It was near identical. For what it's worth, it's great on my elk hunts in heavier woods with the the shorter barrel and extremely accurate. The scope comes off in seconds and stays zeroed when put back on. If you like the new one, I say go for it.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote: Image
Beee-Uteeful Gun...! 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

86er wrote:I played with one at the SHOT show. It was the only variation of Marlin 1895 that I've personally taken an interest in. I am not a collector and with a modern rifle I do not get misty eyed with nostalgia. The SBL has the features I would want in a "work rifle". Minimum worry about rust, extra round capacity, sighting options, a stock that hides scratches and dings. I do not have a strong preference for a large loop over a standard one but I have been hit in the knuckles shooting heavy loads with a standard lever - so the large loop might be the answer. I felt the long mag tube gave it better balance than the shorter tube on the GG's. The one example at the shot show had a heavy trigger and the action felt "gritty" but I chalked that up to being a sample handled by tons of people. The recoil pad was not the best for slowing the gun down - it was kind of hard. I wish they raised the comb on the stock a little so I didn't have to lift my face any to see through a scope. If I aquired one I would chance the recoil pad to a kick eze or limbsaver and start shooting. I hope this helps you some.
Good answer. 1886.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I played with one a bit back in March. Look here for details:
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-1895SBL.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Been kinda warming up to this since it was announced. I like most of the changes over my present 1895GS .Would personally like a lot higher comb , no rail and std Marlin sights these are all totally fixable and would be the better way to go than changing Either GS or my cowboy and seems that your affliction to always buying another is well founded as an excuse (any will do :lol: ) OF COURSE I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU GET IT Then you can send us a report , I'll get really excited , think on it just a bit more , you post your second about the range , I go get my own SBL :D , I just bought another AMERICAN MADE product , I got another gun , where's the bad?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I played with one a bit back in March. Look here for details:
http://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-1895SBL.htm
I agree with Jeff. I handled one of these at the NRA Convention and have been saving money to get one ever since. It is neigh perfect. It could be plumb plew perfect if it were chambered in 444 Marlin. But either way, I'm gonna get one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idiot wrote:It could be plumb plew perfect if it were chambered in 444 Marlin. But either way, I'm gonna get one.
Yep - I'd really like that gun in .444 Marlin ALOT...

...or .460 S&W if they could get the action to handle that round (then I'd get a little companion levergun carbine in .454 Casull, and a SA revolver in .45 Colt, and have me a 'fambly' 8) 8) 8) )

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

And, leave it up to you, Doc, to deliver it. :D
Old Law Dawg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a (ugh) ported 1895GS. It's set up with the Leupold Scout Scope, AO scout mount, and AO ghost ring and HiViz front.... SomeDay I'll chop the bbl behing those (ugh) Ports and have a dandy trapper that I can beat the stuff out of and it will last forever. It shoot MOA with about any ammo. 1895s are just good shooters.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

With the exception of the Rail (and that's removable) and lack of Take Down, that is essentially the rifle I would have ordered from WWG if I was flush & needing another Alaskan Bush Gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Huh...?!?

Always thought the secret to the levergun's success was SIMPLICITY, EASE OF CARRY, EASE OF HANDLING; NONE of which are enhanced by the add-ons this particular iteration presents.

I reckon if a man packed one in a 'plastic' scabbard on a 4-wheeler (don't let me get started ...) and "hunted" from a tree stand, it might fill the bill. I realize some of you guys are real techno-freaks..., but gee-whizz...

To me, it looks about as comfortable to carry as a fence post wound with stray bob-wire & staples. The big-loop lever might be all right for gloved hands (how cold does it get in Georgia and Mississippi...?) but you lose a lot of motion in all that empty space in there. Now if a guy had a 'regular' lever for everyday duties, and swapped for the big one during the 'cold' season..??

Too many hanging edges and corners for my vote. A levergun ain't supposed to be a SOCOM M-1A --- or is it. :?

Just goes to show what can happen when a company 'listens' to its customers. Especially the kind who have the misdirected zeal and enough spare time to answer product surveys. Must be how Ford Motor came up with the Edsel...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:The big-loop lever might be all right for gloved hands (how cold does it get in Georgia and Mississippi...?) but you lose a lot of motion in all that empty space in there. Now if a guy had a 'regular' lever for everyday duties, and swapped for the big one during the 'cold' season..??
I've thought about cutting the entire bottom off of a lever, and replacing it with leather thong or parachute cord, so it would be adjustable to the circumstances and clothing.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

AJMD429 wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:The big-loop lever might be all right for gloved hands (how cold does it get in Georgia and Mississippi...?) but you lose a lot of motion in all that empty space in there. Now if a guy had a 'regular' lever for everyday duties, and swapped for the big one during the 'cold' season..??
I've thought about cutting the entire bottom off of a lever, and replacing it with leather thong or parachute cord, so it would be adjustable to the circumstances and clothing.
Surely, you jest...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...