30-30 Nostalgia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Nostalgia

Post by SJPrice »

A while back I inherited my father's eclectic gun collection. Along with the guns came the ammo form the gun cabinet. Yesterday I pulled out the box with the ammo and sorted through it. I ran across this and had a good chuckle over the price tag. Then after I thought about it I stopped laughing.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 30-30 Nostalgia

Post by J Miller »

Back in the 60s and 70s I used to shoot up a lot of that CIL ammo out of my .22s, 30-30, and 303 British. Excellent quality and reasonable prices. Then I guess Dominion went belly up and no more Canadian ammo.

You are right, the prices are not a laughing matter any more. A dollar a round + for standard 30-30 ammo around here now. Not funny at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

when you realize most jobs didn't even pay $100 a week in the 60's, that's not so cheap.

What you need to do is get to work on a time machine and start shipping items back and forth in time.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've got some SilverTips in 170 GR a friend gave me long ago, 3.29 on the tag. As a kid in 1962 I got .348 's for 6.95 a box. That 63 loaded Impala for 3100 bucks looks good now too.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When Imperial/C.I.L went out of business, Midway bought and sold their unused brass. I bought 200 30-30 cases for a very cheap price and still use them. It is the thinest brass I have ever used, but holds up well none-the-less.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Charles wrote:When Imperial/C.I.L went out of business, Midway bought and sold their unused brass. I bought 200 30-30 cases for a very cheap price and still use them. It is the thinest brass I have ever used, but holds up well none-the-less.
I've also still got some of the CIL brass I bought as factory ammo. Still use it. It's just good stuff.

As for the wages of the past compared to today making the ammo just as expensive, as a teenager in the mid to late 60s, living on an allowance I was able to buy far more factory ammo of all calibers than I can now, or could even 10 years ago when I was working a full time job. Not sure why that is, but it is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Thatbrings back memories for sure. That ammo was made about 5 miles from my home. My Dad worked as a carpenter in that factory for 25 years. I used to get factory seconds from there through my Dad. Usually a lube dent in rifle cases or poor crimp in shotshells. Thanks for the memories.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Sometimes it's the little things that can bring great pleasure... Some months back, I was driving with the wife out in the country and spotted a sign advertising a little pawn shop 9 miles from the middle of nowhere. Naturally, I "HAD" to go check it out, to see if they might have any cool old stuff that they hadn't kept updating the prices on. Got there -- no decent guns, but they did have some older boxes of ammo mixed in with the newer stuff. Then, my gaze was riveted on a vintage, mint-green box of Remington "Hi-Speed" .25-35 Core-Lokt ammo with white end flap and red print. I asked the proprietor how much it was, and after consulting the tattered price tag from "Penny's Hdwe & Sporting Goods" which said $4.10, he said "well, apparently it's $4.10." :shock:

Needless to say, I about got whiplash getting my wallet out! No, unfortunately, he didn't have a case of the stuff in the back, and none of the other ammo was similarly priced... but this really made my whole week! Now, it sits on my bookshelf awaiting the day to go out and bag some deer... It was as close to a "time machine" as I'm likely to come, any time soon! :D

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968