Wolf story, with embelishments!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Wolf story, with embelishments!

Post by jnyork »

Had an interesting weekend at our summer place near the southern tip of the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

The Sweetwater River barely makes the description "river", it is a large stream that flows through the very northern part of Wyoming's Red Desert country, rolling along gently for many miles through the rolling sagebrush hills where it is easy to get at for fishing, then dives into a very steep rugged canyon which is only accessable in places. The canyon is very narrow with steep walls of black volcanic rock and sagebrush, with a few knarley old windblown junipers. The river itself has few if any trees but plenty of grassy little meadows and large willow bushes along its banks. It is our favorite fishing spot.

Sunday we went to the part that flows through the flatlands and caught quite a nice mess of German Browns and Rainbows. Got back home about noon, had lunch and a little nap, then my buddy showed up with his rifles so we spent about 3 hours at my little range shooting Lever Action silhouette. Just about a perfect day.

This morning, Monday, we decided to get up early and try the fishing down in the canyon, which took us over about 10 miles of 2-tracks through the desert and then about 300 yards of serious 4-wheel drive down a loose, rocky little trail down into the canyon. I took my rod and headed down the canyon while my wife fished up the canyon, we probably had maybe 500-600 yards separating us. I couldnt buy a fish on this morning so I started heading back to meet up with my wife. Got about halfway there when I heard a distant moaning sound and figured it was just an old range cow searching for her calf, this is a common sight in the area as it is open range. After a minute or so I heard it again and knew immediately it was NOT a cow!! Hurrying along as best I could for my age, I rounded a corner and found my wife pointing across the river to a small hill about 150 yards away. On top of the hill was a big ol' black wolf!! My wife related to me that she had a big fish on and was fighting with him when she looked across the stream and there was the wolf, coming down the hill for water. He wound up about 100 yards up stream from her. She was not too worried as he was on the other side of the stream from her and besides, she was busy landing the fish!! She then had the nerve to cast in again and hook another one out of the same hole, all the while keeping an eye on the wolf, who continued his howling and went back up the hill.

We watched him for about 20 minutes or so as he roamed around on top of the hill, then headed down the rim of the canyon to the east, out of our view. He never did quit howling, we figured maybe he was a loner looking for a girlfriend or some buddies. We did not hear any returning howls.

We then discovered that Roscoe, one of our two beloved little mutts, was missing. This little dog NEVER gets more than about 20 yards from Mom, so we were really worried. Down the river we went, calling, whistling, searching for over a half hour. No Roscoe. With my poor wife in tears, fearful that the wolf had somehow crossed over the river and killed him, we started back to the vehicle, where, of course, we found the confounded dog peacefully enjoying the shade and cool grass next to the truck. Well, then, the tears really flowed for a while, then, after some cool drinks and a little snack, we decided to declare victory and go home. The old Tojo (1992 Toyota pickup) easily negotiated the rugged hill to the top, and we drove off into the morning.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wolf story, with embelishments!

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sounds like a nice weekend ... except for the nerve wracking pup search part. Glad you found the little guy well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sounds like a good time was had by all -- including Roscoe.

Wolves have already caused problems in the States that were salted with them; however, the wolves have started expanding their range into states where they weren't salted. There have been confirmed sightings of wolves in Northeast Oregon and I'd bet that in a few short years, they will work their way down to Northeast/Northern California.
ED
Yer never too old
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Modoc ED wrote:Sounds like a good time was had by all -- including Roscoe.

Wolves have already caused problems in the States that were salted with them; however, the wolves have started expanding their range into states where they weren't salted. There have been confirmed sightings of wolves in Northeast Oregon and I'd bet that in a few short years, they will work their way down to Northeast/Northern California.
The Oregon wolves may or may not be descendants of the 'imported' wolves. They may have migrated naturally from the B.C./Alberta country, where the 'imports' were gathered. Either way makes no real difference, as they are all protected under the same FFW umbrella, and cause the same problems with game and livestock depredation.

The principle of "unintended consequences" applies...

Or was it "unintended...?"
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Frankly, I believe it was "intended".

I'll note that the latest OR Hunting Regulation Book addresses Wolves and classifies them as protected not only under Federal law but OR law too.
ED
Yer never too old
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My 'question' was purely rhetorical...

I fully believe "they" knew exactly what they were doing, and what the ultimate result could be.

Think I have expressed the sentiment here before.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Buck Elliott wrote:My 'question' was purely rhetorical...

I fully believe "they" knew exactly what they were doing, and what the ultimate result could be.

Think I have expressed the sentiment here before.
Oh hell, I knew that. I was just expressing my belief. It seems we are/have been on the same track since the get-go.

Just as is done here in CA since they (the citizens -- read tree-huggers) passed a ballot resolution to ban the hunting of Mountain Lions, the hugh and cry for killing wolves should be "shoot, shovel, shut-up". Actually, some here leave out the shovel part.
ED
Yer never too old
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

York, good story glad you found your pup.
Wyoming has the right idea about wolves their pests. danny
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

A great read! Thanks for posting. I'm glad everybody's okay.
But, how about that big fish the wife caught? Details please... :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

thanks for your post on monday. Read it monday and haven't yet been able to post anything civil. Danny's right !!! and some of the people we have runnin Idaho F&G are idiots, and I'm right!!!! thats all I'll say on the matter just now.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

gimdandy wrote:thanks for your post on monday. Read it monday and haven't yet been able to post anything civil. Danny's right !!! and some of the people we have runnin Idaho F&G are idiots, and I'm right!!!! thats all I'll say on the matter just now.
The biggest problem is the wolf-friendly courts which have taken it upon themselves to run the wolf business, of which they know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...!!! All they know is that the eco-Nazis are spending HUGE piles of money on the case, and I believe the judges are hoping to see a little of that cash trickle down to them, after they vacate their benches.

When in doubt -- follow the money...
Regards

Buck

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

jnyork wrote:Had an interesting weekend at our summer place near the southern tip of the Wind River Range in Wyoming.

The Sweetwater River barely makes the description "river", it is a large stream that flows through the very northern part of Wyoming's Red Desert country, rolling along gently for many miles through the rolling sagebrush hills where it is easy to get at for fishing, then dives into a very steep rugged canyon which is only accessable in places. The canyon is very narrow with steep walls of black volcanic rock and sagebrush, with a few knarley old windblown junipers. The river itself has few if any trees but plenty of grassy little meadows and large willow bushes along its banks. It is our favorite fishing spot.

Sunday we went to the part that flows through the flatlands and caught quite a nice mess of German Browns and Rainbows. Got back home about noon, had lunch and a little nap, then my buddy showed up with his rifles so we spent about 3 hours at my little range shooting Lever Action silhouette. Just about a perfect day.

This morning, Monday, we decided to get up early and try the fishing down in the canyon, which took us over about 10 miles of 2-tracks through the desert and then about 300 yards of serious 4-wheel drive down a loose, rocky little trail down into the canyon. I took my rod and headed down the canyon while my wife fished up the canyon, we probably had maybe 500-600 yards separating us. I couldnt buy a fish on this morning so I started heading back to meet up with my wife. Got about halfway there when I heard a distant moaning sound and figured it was just an old range cow searching for her calf, this is a common sight in the area as it is open range. After a minute or so I heard it again and knew immediately it was NOT a cow!! Hurrying along as best I could for my age, I rounded a corner and found my wife pointing across the river to a small hill about 150 yards away. On top of the hill was a big ol' black wolf!! My wife related to me that she had a big fish on and was fighting with him when she looked across the stream and there was the wolf, coming down the hill for water. He wound up about 100 yards up stream from her. She was not too worried as he was on the other side of the stream from her and besides, she was busy landing the fish!! She then had the nerve to cast in again and hook another one out of the same hole, all the while keeping an eye on the wolf, who continued his howling and went back up the hill.

We watched him for about 20 minutes or so as he roamed around on top of the hill, then headed down the rim of the canyon to the east, out of our view. He never did quit howling, we figured maybe he was a loner looking for a girlfriend or some buddies. We did not hear any returning howls.

We then discovered that Roscoe, one of our two beloved little mutts, was missing. This little dog NEVER gets more than about 20 yards from Mom, so we were really worried. Down the river we went, calling, whistling, searching for over a half hour. No Roscoe. With my poor wife in tears, fearful that the wolf had somehow crossed over the river and killed him, we started back to the vehicle, where, of course, we found the confounded dog peacefully enjoying the shade and cool grass next to the truck. Well, then, the tears really flowed for a while, then, after some cool drinks and a little snack, we decided to declare victory and go home. The old Tojo (1992 Toyota pickup) easily negotiated the rugged hill to the top, and we drove off into the morning.
I believe I've been to the same place. Wonderful country. No wolves there when I was there, but it was a long time ago. Had a similar experience with a black bear in the Snowy Range several years back. The difference was we could hear our dog barking and chasing the bear. Finally got him back. Stupid mute thought he could lick anything. Quick question Mr. York, ever have any relatives in Casper? Great story. Paints a beautiful picture in my mind. Sure do miss Wyoming.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Meeteetse wrote:
jnyork wrote:
. Quick question Mr. York, ever have any relatives in Casper? Great story. Paints a beautiful picture in my mind. Sure do miss Wyoming.
No, sorry, no relatives in Casper.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Meeteese are you from Casper?
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

foxtrapper wrote:Meeteese are you from Casper?
Born and raised !!!
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.