Who here uses a lever gun as their house gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I use my 375 big bore as my house gun in Alaska.Its a bit small for grizzleys but I load 300 gr fmj for the first shot.I guess it would work up close.I also have my 454 rugers too .I think the 375 winchester is kinda small but I have yet to prove it.When I know I have bears I load my 416 Rem mag up.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My "house gun" is on my hip.

I don't cotton to leaving guns lay around... but my Lever, M500 & M4gery are accessible quickly enough at Fall-Back (probably too quickly for NICS/NRA tastes...) :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep. Winchester 94 in .30-30. DOB of 1978. Or, nowadays, my custom Trapper stays w/me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I do, an 1895G, but I also have a 9mm that I use as well. My dad uses a 30/30 and 22 pistol.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No, not here in IL. I've three short guns here and there for that purpose. If the location and circumstances were different I might be inclined to keep a lever gun loaded.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Quite often there is a 32-20, .357, or a 30-wcf against the fridge by the backdoor. Always a handgun on top of the fridge.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...my gutbuster:

A levergun would be great, but my gutbuster is pretty much invisible next to my bed, leaning against the corner. There is another, smaller surprise nearby.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I don't... but the previous owner of my Win 92 did. He kept it under the bed loaded with Remington JFP's (38WCF)

Slow is just slow.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dgr416 »

I think model 94s with there short over all length are awesome.I can stuff 8 rounds in it also.Thats a good bit of firepower.I trust the 375 winchester alot better than a 223.Here in Alaska you might have anything in your garbage if you leave it out,which i dont.I should get a ramline stock so my 375 can sit in the corner better and not mess up the pretty stock.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Now that we live more out in the country, my Model 94 stays loaded and ready, along with a blackhawk in 357 mag.

In the town wehere we used to live, i kept a 20 gauge handy.

take care,

Tom
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I used to keep my Marlin 336 loaded, for home defense. At the time it was the only suitable gun for the purpose. Well, other than an 1851 Navy revolver.

My wifes ' Home defense battery' consists of a Mossberg JIC, RI 1911 , and a Winchester Wrangler 32wspl.

My 'home defense battery' is my wife. When the boogers hit the fan, I'll be under the bed thank you very much!
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

My wife and I live by ourselves on top of a mountain back in the bush. When I take the trash out to the end of my driveway (130 yards) my Win.94 30-30 Trapper is on my shoulder. No matter where I roam around my place it goes with me. It sits in a corner on my house where we know where it's at and it goes out the door with me at all times unless I'm going to town. Then I take my .40 Browning and my wife has her 9mm near by when sleeping or if she's here alone and she knows how to use it quite well I might add :) Mike
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

have several 'ready' guns, one of which is good for moose and bears:
stainless rossi trapper 16" in 454, sits in a hidden place next to the door that i most commonly use.
cable
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Yes. And a pump gun 12ga and a DA Sig in 45acp and a well you get the picture.

If it aint loaded it is just a pretty stick. And we all know you don't bring a stick to a gunfight.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

M1 carbine.. 15 rnd mag.. Rem soft points ..one in the spout..safety on..
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

No leverguns loaded for home action. A Bushmaster and a Glock 19 are ready to go. Hopefully never to be used, but ready nonetheless.

Rob
NRA
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recond my first go to gun is a Series 70 Colt 1911, but I usually have a Browning A5 loaded with buckshot, or my model 12 Winchester loaded with buckshot.

However, I also keep 3 of my leveractions loaded in the front of my safe, Browning BLR, Pre-64 Winchester 30/30 and also a 357 mag angle eject Winchester.

I live on a farm and I like to have options.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

12 gauge Rem. 1100 stored with full magazine, but empty chamber. First out is a slug, followed by 3 rounds of 00 buckshot.

When I get my 35 Marlin, it will be available for action also.

bogie
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have in the past. Off-campus in college my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum complimented my Ruger Super Blackhawk in the same caliber. :D
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I live up in the woods and am pretty isolated from any neighbors or even a public road. I can hear traffic but anything could happen up here and no one have any idea what's up.

So I have a Marlin CB in 44 that has that nasty plastic plug removed and will hold 12 .44 specials. If the nasties have made it inside the house I have a couple 1911's and a .44 Blackhawk ready to rock and roll :lol: :shock:

Jeff
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

My CCW S&W 36 is always close by... I have recently switched it over to the Buffalo Bore 158gr SWC-HC load (item #20C/20)... really like 'em a lot......

Also keep a 12-gauge Winchester Model 12 loaded with 6 shells of #1 buckshot handy... nothing in the world says "get out of the house" like the sound of one of those things getting shucked into the chamber... plus the M12s lack a trigger disconnect, so it'll spray just as fast as you can work the action if you keep the trigger depressed... hell of a house-gun......
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

S&W 45ACP and a 9422 trapper for unwanted critters
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

An old Savage (model 60?) .22 in the closet (property protection to date: 1 fox, 1 rabid coon, 1 rabid chuck), .38 spl revolvers otherwise.
The .30-30 or .38-55 might go clean through my house and visit the neighbors!
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

My wifes '92 Rossi 357 is in the corner on her side of the bed, with additional very handy if needed. Doug
a armed man is his own master
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I'll take the eye out of the first cretin that breaches my security zone with my trusty Daisy Red Ryder. :wink:
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

the house gun for me is a old H&R Pump gun that was cut to 18.5 before I got it. for $100 invested I figure I can donate it to the evidence room if I ever use it on a 2 legged threat. Its a nice old shotgun,,very similar to the Stevens Pump. First load in low brass #8 followed by 00 buck till shes dry.

a Marlin .357 is on standby
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

to much gun for here in the burb's. 4" mil-spec .45acp. ; glacier safety slug in chamber, 7 win ranger .230 gr. h.p.'s in magazine.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have a S&W mod 15 by the bed with an extra speed loader. I have a 20 guage coach gun next to that. THese remain in the safe until bed time. Everything else stays in the safe. Now that I have a grandson walking around I am extra careful of this. I live in town and my psycho neighbor moved last year so things are much more calm around the neighborhood now. I carry concealed every day (I am a cop) Not saying that these are the only ones that should, on the contrary i beleive you all should carry concealed. Mine is usually my Glock 22 or S&W 6906. My truck gun (which I just started doing after a post here last year) is a Mosin Nagant with a bandoleer of ammo. Is this overkill? Ask me in about ten years after i either use it or not. Why the reason for such an out of date rifle? It was cheap at $80. If it gets stolen I have'nt lost much. If my AR or a Winchester got stolen this would be much worse.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Again, better late than never on the picture! :wink:

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Here in our local version of the town ghetto, I often have a 16" Lever in .45LC or .44 Special for myself. Nine or ten rounds of a good modern defense loading, with nose accuracy out to 25 yards standing, should work as well as it always has. And these are quieter than the 2" to 5" holstered handiguns.

And, our trained ankle biters always get a favorite treat for letting us know if anyone gets on or next to our yards, let alone the front/back doors or porch. My wife even trained one dog to keep barking at any man at the door, unless she shook his hand. That worked pretty well.

Out in the foothills, I'll load heavy hardcast lead rounds in the Lever, or just use a Tanker Garand.
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

My primary housegun is my Colt Commander .45, I do keep a .357 M94 Ranger Compact at home though and it was my primary house gun until I picked up the .45
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I can see keeping a nice sawed of or short barreled shotgun around but most rifles have way too much power and NOISE to be shot in a home, walls are too thin, would hate to hit a family member if I didnt have time to get them all collected into my bedroom before the shooting started. I have a 1911 and a S&W 19 that handle all my needs with 2 legged vermin.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I live in the country, and I'm surrounded by the Dregs and their Meth labs. I keep my Trapper and SAA in .45 Colt handy at all times. In a drawer is my Colt .45ACP, and in my wife's purse is her Smith model 60 with 125 gr. hollow points. I go out back and shoot often, so the neighbors know I'm armed, and I'm seldom off the property.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I keep a pair of 9mm semi-autos stashed in the house, 16+1 in each of them. They live in wall safes with 4 digit electronic locks. Easy to get to if needed.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

We live in a pretty quiet area so I dont feel the need for a loaded lever, however the 45 trapper is normally loaded, along with a 12ga S&S a 20ga single, the Ruger 44, Ruger 45, Ruger 357, all in stratigic locations ,and a S&W 40 at hand along with the mdl 10 S&W.
But like I said, we live in a quiet area.
And I darn well intend to keep it that way. 8) :roll:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

House Guns come in threes.
The 20 guage SXS shotgun's remains constant - one for each side of the bed.
Next a levergun - with one exception. The exception is when the P-89 and PC-9 are "in rotation."
Otherwise, is is the lever .44 with the 4 1/2" Redhawk or the lever .357 with the Security 6.
It is always a handgun, long gun combination of the same caliber.

Grace and Peace
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

My main house gun is going to be whichever handgun is closest at the moment, then, next, the Remington 870P I bought to use as a duty shotgun. It has a Vang-comp barrel to keep the pattern tighter. If I manage to find a nice Marlin 1894C in .357, that may change, and if I get re-qualed at work with my current AR15, or my Mini-14, it will join the line-up. (I sold my earlier AR15 to a fellow officer.) I have had a .308 Browning BLR loaded and ready, at times when it was the one outside the safe, and therefore handier at the time. "House gun" is variable; a pump shotgun is great for lying in wait for the threat to come to me, a compact carbine is great for actively hunting for the bad guy ouside the house, and a good powerful handgun is best for remaining discreet while checking on something that may or may not be a threat, and someone, including the local police, just might see me before I see them. Very important, too, is the Cinco Perros alarm system, which not only provides early warning, but helps me to gauge which firearm should be chosen. Moreover, if one of the Perros is brought along to help check out a threat, a handgun is best for leaving a hand free to deal with El Perro.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
M92nut
Levergunner

Post by M92nut »

For those who keep a pump shotgun handy like I do- I read somewhere years ago about loading a dummy 12 gauge practice round (the metal kind) in the chamber and then pulling the trigger on it to relax the tension on the springs plus it has the added benefit of "disconnecting" the slide safety once you insert live ammunition (say from a butt cuff, as I do). I have a Winchester 1300 that I like because it can shoot the Aguila mini-shells which I think are great due to the low recoil (which my wife likes) and the additional magazine capacity.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Ben_Rumson wrote:M1 carbine.. 15 rnd mag.. Rem soft points ..one in the spout..safety on..
Me too, in the garage/workshop.
S&W .44 Mountain Gun loaded with 44Spec. in the garage, as well.
A Springfield .45ACP in the house.
Last edited by otteray on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otteray
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

GANJIRO wrote:I'll take the eye out of the first cretin that breaches my security zone with my trusty Daisy Red Ryder. :wink:
You should print out this post to show the next feminazi that says you're just compensating, LOL!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Of COURSE I have lever for a house gun! And others, as well. I guess there's no need to worry about talking about what all guns I have on the 'net; every time a cop stops by the house (neighbor is a meth user and burglar) we end up looking at my guns, knives, and leather I make for them. They generally turn down their radio and spend an hour or so.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

:::talking about what all guns I have on the 'net ::: (neighbor is a meth user and burglar) :::
Grins, ummm yeah... We've had them for too nearby of neighbors as well.....

And with this making a metal picture of a Browning .50 popping into in my mind, maybe my next thought was not quite off topic: I've never been to Gunsite, but have heard a bit about what Col. Cooper kept on hand about his "household"..... Nahhhh, even with cranksters, and worse, living nearby, we couldn't have that stuff here....... Sort of makes an old obsolete Lever seem kind of harmless.. :roll:
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I load up a couple of mine when a hurricane is comming. Looters taste like chicken. :D
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~