OT Montana Vacation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

OT Montana Vacation

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Montana (and Yellowstone) for next summer and are looking for suggestions to make it a most memorable event. What were your favorite "must do" things, and your worse "don't even" disasters?

Thanks so much!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: OT Montana Vacation

Post by Malamute »

Yellowstone includes a lot of Wyoming. Cody is a good visit, the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, eat at the Irma Hotel, see Trail Town, then on to Yellowstone. Go up the North Fork thru the East Gate, then at some point make it out the Northwest gate through Cooke City and over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge Mt. Or any variation of that. Cody, west on 120 to the Chief Joseph Hwy over Dead Indain Pass to Cooke City/Yellowstone is also very nice country. All are well worth seeing. The part between Cooke City and Red Lodge (Hwy 212, the Beartooth Pass Hwy) is some of the best scenery you will see anywhere in the lower 48

If you're covering more of the state of Mt then Glacier park is good. Very dramatic scenery, but not as parge as Yellowstone, and not as many animals in general. The Custer Battlefield east of Billings is good.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well there's a jillion ways to do this, but here's a couple from what we do.
Go in early June , get to Baker Mt, the weekend before fathers day, shoot the Big Hill shoot, Saturday and Sunday, then head west to Cody,visit the BBHC, then cruise up thru the park , come out the north end thru Livingston then stop at Big Timber and drool at the Sharps's , then drift eastward to Forstyh and the Quigley match and then on home.
This fall we're hoping to do it in reverse go to Baker, then up thru the park down to Cody, and on around to Lander to the bpcr sillouette shoot and then home. Fish our way from the Mt border back to Lander and do the Cody tourista stuff as well.

Forgot to add its easy to add a stop at the Little Bighorn, there's good museums in Sheridan and Buffalo and visiting the Fetterman fight and the Wagon box is also doable, and don't forget to see the Devils Tower while in the area, the drive over the Bighorns from either Sheridan or Buffalo is a scenic one.
Unless you really like motocycles I'ld strongly urge you to avoid the Dakota's , se Mt, and eastern Wy the first week in August.
milespb
Levergunner

Post by milespb »

Lobo, Yellowstone is a must see, but I enjoyed the Tetons even more. Also enjoyed the museum at Cody (BBHC). Went to Big Timber MT to order a rifle at Shiloh Sharps enjoyed the tour of their facilities, and C Sharps is across the street. The only problem my wife had was the cabins at Yellowstone. We found out why the rates were so reasonable. They are basically plywood shacks (which I didn't have a problem with) but they are somewhat primitive. BTW where are you from in WV I live in the Eastern Panhandle.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Go to the Bozeman-Ennis Hot Springs area. It is beautiful. When I was out there I met a gentleman at a diner who invited me to shoot varmints. Ahh. Take a nice lever gun in a small caliber and shoot some ground squirrels and other vermin.

Also, you can take a dip in the hot springs.
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

My thoughts on Montana. I lived in Missoula and Bigfork from 81 to 87. Have hunted and [fished every month of year] evry moment I could while there.My buddy still lives there. He hired me for Montana parole and probation and he moved there in 71 so has traveled the state extensively.
As for summer, it can be fickle and I would not suggest going there until July 1. It can be a cold wet month in June ,specially in the mountains. If I had a chooice it would be late July for a sightseeing type of tour. The fishing is also best then tho in a lean year,stream can be ordered closed etc starting around August 10.This year is perfect cause of record snows last winter,streams will be ideal for fishing.
My bro and I went in 2001[ flew back 3 days before the mess started] We were at 6,000 foot elevation and had a great week tho at weeks end a snow blew into mountains at 3500 foot level.It shut the fun down and that was Sept. 5th.
The downside to July and August are the crowds. Yellowstone is PACKED in summer.In 1980 we were there in a motoerhome and the park had us all "camped" in /on a paved parking lot that was fenced for bears. LATE august into Sept. is a perfect time. Crowds all are gone with their screaming kids since school has started. The weather is perfect except at high elevation where it can be NIPPY at night. There fishing is still very good and with crowds gone,a delight to experience a quiet beautiful stream or lake.
If I did another "tour" I would book campsite/hotel EARLY and do Yellowstone /Tetons for no more than 5 days.Would then head for Glaier as the crowds are not there as bad. South of Glacier is the Flathead valley with Flathead lake . Largest natural lake west of Mississippi. The scenery is spetacular in Glacier and Yellowstone ,but living 30 miles from Glacier spoiled me on it's unique
beauty and solitude.
Now for the downside. DA BEARS. They are truly aweful past few years . I am heading out in October to hunt / fish and my Montana buddy says the DNR told him 2 weeks ago they have never seen the Griz problem worse. Dang varmints have learned to come TOWARDS rifle fire ,knowing a meal was just cooked up for em.
By next year, it will be legal to carry in both parks [ I and all true Montana's aways did anyway] . I would not hike/ camp / stuff in either park or elswhere without a 44 or 41 on hip.In addition to griz,the blackbears /cougars are also dangerous.
The rewards are truley worth a trip. The float trips/fishing/hiking are world class. The fishing is very restricted compared to the 80s but you can still drive over any stream in state,get out and fish it, and start catching fish IF the stream is not flooded as is typical in early June. I would also do Cody /Custer /Black hills but would change up and go into Core de' lene Idaho and see the beauty of the huge tranquil lakes /country there. A benefit there is lower elevation and warmer climates.
Send me PM and we can continue discussion if you like . I traveled a good bit there and know most of the state west of divide and south of Butte. Knowing your interests and intentions will halp me explain much more as to country/time etc.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I couldn't go to Montana without going to the Custer Battlefield, I think you will feel something special if you do.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Best thing would be for you to take me and my son (44magHunter) with you; just reimburse me enough to pay for a month's business overhead minus what I bring in for three weeks, and we could join you for a week.

Really. I'm sure it would greatly enhance the experience.... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

milespb,

I live in Preston County about 30 miles east of Morgantown up on the edge of the Potomac Highlands.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What all of the above said. Cooke City to Red Lodge an absolute must, as is the Cody museum, you will need at least two days to see that museum. Tetons are great to see, dont figure on staying in Jackson unless you have LOTS more money than the average bear!! :shock: Stop in Lander if you get a chance, might buy you a cool libation. Send email first, I dont have a listed phone.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Do---Get her in the Hot Springs(have a bottle of nice Merlot)at sunset and enjoy each others (company?) Dont-----say to her must be the knats, your hair looks like stuff!(especially, before your special time together?)
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Go through the Black Hills and ya gotta stop at the Devils Tower.