I'll be buying no more 30-30s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

I'll be buying no more 30-30s

Post by meanc »

Yep, I'll never buy another one... exactly what I said last year after a range session with my other two 30-30s.

Then I saw a listing on a local forum for a used 336CS... $225. Since newer Marlins are fetching $375+ at Wally's I gave him a call. For $225 I figured it'd be pretty well used, and if it had any cosmetic blemishes I could deal with it and any mechanical issues I could fix. So I made the drive.

With the exception of a couple of small safe dings, this thing was as close to new as you can get. There was almost no evidence of ever being cycled. The hammer still looked like new as did the lever and loading gate.

Now, there's one for me and the two boys for when they get older...exactly what I told the wife when I got home. :D

Last edited by meanc on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I'll be buying no more 30-30s

Post by Blaine »

You dog... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

meanc wrote:Now, there's one for me and the two boys for when they get older...exactly what I told the wife when I got home. :D
You're supposed to just put it in an old beat-up case so she thinks it's one you've had for years... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

I'll be buying no more 30-30s THIS WEEK.

Fixed it for you. :lol:

Good find!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

meanc wrote:Yep, I'll never buy another one... exactly what I said last year after a range session with my other two 30-30s.

Then I saw a listing on a local forum for a used 336CS... $225. Since newer Marlins are fetching $375+ at Wally's I gave him a call. For $225 I figured it'd be pretty well used, and if it had any cosmetic blemishes I could deal with it and any mechanical issues I could fix. So I made the drive.

With the exception of a couple of small safe dings, this thing was as close to new as you can get. There was almost no evidence of ever being cycled. The hammer still looked like new as did the lever and loading gate.

Now, there's one for me and the two boys for when they get older...exactly what I told the wife when I got home. :D

That is a great find but you may be changing your mind shortly. I MAY let go a pre cross bolt safety 336 with a factory original 18.5" barrel. Only 7 rounds thru her. Marlin made some of these in the early 80s. Real handy. Regards and pardon me if I stepped on your thread but I could not help myself. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a deal! Congrats. 8)
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thats very nice. The more 30-30's that go out of circulation, the more mine are worth. :D --------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is an absolute beauty, (for a Marlin) I do like the looks of it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A deal ? That baby is a steal. :mrgreen: Real Nice!
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

You seem to be fixed for the short term but you may need a few around to part out long term.
Good buy. Pops always said that if you had the cash on hand a bargin would come look you up.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice! Congrats!! :D
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

You guys are too funny. :lol:

And 1886, that ain't right.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Do you feel guilty on that one? Darn near stole it! :mrgreen: Congrats!!! :D

Say, does the "one for me and one each for the boys" work with the wife? Like AJ, I just try to get them in unnoticed. They are pretty much safe if I can get them to the safe first! :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Do you feel guilty on that one? Darn near stole it! :mrgreen: Congrats!!! :D

Say, does the "one for me and one each for the boys" work with the wife? Like AJ, I just try to get them in unnoticed. They are pretty much safe if I can get them to the safe first! :lol:
Just TELL her you're getting a new rifle. Put that foot down, Son. Women actually like that firm approach and will respect you for holding your ground. Just buy 'em a new broom once in awhile, and they'll be too busy to notice your rifles. Don't never buy 'em a watch, though....the one on the stove should be all they ever need :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Aren't you glad you live in the US of A,
here in Australia theft is a criminal offence :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"Yep, I'll never buy another one... exactly what I said last year after a range session with my other two 30-30s."
The words of a true addict, just like the rest of us. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Blaine around my house that attitude would get me shot! My wife is a better pistol shot than me anyday(she carries one for work, she be POPO) actually the pistol doesn't scare me, but she is the taser instructor for 2 departments and I know she has extra cells for that(ouch). She hasn't noticed the 35 remmy or the henry as being new though. Ha! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

AJMD429 wrote:You're supposed to just put it in an old beat-up case so she thinks it's one you've had for years... :wink:
His wife would get suspicious when he asked her about buying a bigger gun safe. 8)

I can relate to that because I only have room for one more gun in mine!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

As I understand, and read some where, the heat inside a gun safe and the close proximity of the guns so encased can actually result in spontaneous rifle/carbine reproduction. I've read they've not been able to duplicate this phenomenon in the lab, but there is a ton of empirical evidence backing up the theory. I know, for instance, that nearly every time I do a full inventory of my gun safe I discover a gun that I either forgot about or didn't know existed. And when my wife observes the inventory process she's always able to spot the results of those spontaneous reactions to heat and close quarters. There is way too much evidence to dismiss this phenomenon.

Besides, one simply cannot own too many 30-30's.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The next SpikeHorn I see (when I have some money) will go home with me...unless it's a beater/giveaway, then I'll eat beans for a month or dip into savings.......I kind of have a rule about using available cash for toys....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a beautiful 30-30. Marlin was no slouch when it came to turning out a first class 336 30-30 back when I was a kid. Waaaaaay back!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idiot wrote:As I understand, and read some where, the heat inside a gun safe and the close proximity of the guns so encased can actually result in spontaneous rifle/carbine reproduction.
Well, we have a 'one goat, one gun' rule, and thankfully, my wife likes goats. Unfortunately, she's figured out how to get hers to reproduce, and no matter how much privacy I give my guns, even with a romantic spritz of Hoppe's No. 9 under the stocks, they haven't reproduced yet....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

even with a romantic spritz of Hoppe's No. 9 under the stocks, they haven't reproduced yet....
They ain't shootin blanks, are they :lol:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'd sure like to find that in Central Illannoy.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

AJMD429 wrote:
Idiot wrote:As I understand, and read some where, the heat inside a gun safe and the close proximity of the guns so encased can actually result in spontaneous rifle/carbine reproduction.
Well, we have a 'one goat, one gun' rule, and thankfully, my wife likes goats. Unfortunately, she's figured out how to get hers to reproduce, and no matter how much privacy I give my guns, even with a romantic spritz of Hoppe's No. 9 under the stocks, they haven't reproduced yet....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Gary wrote: I can relate to that because I only have room for one more gun in mine!
Yup. Me too. Always room for one more gun.

:-)
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

KirkD wrote:That is a beautiful 30-30. Marlin was no slouch when it came to turning out a first class 336 30-30 back when I was a kid. Waaaaaay back!

That one was made no earlier than 1983 judging by the safety. You must be younger than I thought Kirk :lol:

Seriously, that is one heck of a deal and some of the better wood I have seen on a Marlin of mid 80s vintage. Congrats on the find!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Yep, 1987 mfg. And I love the wood, too.

I know it's just straight grained, but both pieces look like they were cut from the same tree.