Sling swivels on a model 95

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Sling swivels on a model 95

Post by eagles »

What does everyone suggest for sling swivels on my newer model , model 95 Winchester in 405 caliber ? I have heard a sling stud in the for end could bang up your hand pretty good ,but I can not find a good barrel mounted stud ? I noticed some orriginal rifles had under barrel mounted studs and some were in the for arm . Would the Uncle Mikes model with the band for tubuler magazines be adaptable as a barrel mount ? I am also worried about messing up accuracy with a barrel mounted lug ? William
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Sling swivels on a model 95

Post by Shasta »

I have the Uncle Mike's stud on the barrel of my Browning 1895 .30-40 and on my current production Winchester 1895 in .405. They do not grip the barrel as firmly as I would like and tend to work a bit from side to side if the sling is subjected to side pressure, but do not slip up and down the barrel. I intend to use some thin brass shim stock in an effort to gain a better grip on the barrel, but have not done it yet. The band installs easily with a single screw and accuracy has not been affected.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I put the Uncle Mikes magazine tube swivel set on my 405. You'll need to get the 3/4 tube clamp package.
Hasn't seemed to bother accuracy any.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

THANKS , I had allready ordered that one but then thought perhaps it would not fit tight enough etc . Do you think I should go for the brass shim ? I dont want it rotating and rubbing off the blue etc ? William
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

After hand tightening, a couple of taps with a brass rod and hammer to drive it back toward the action seems to put enough stress on the split ring to lock it in place, at least that has been my experience since I mounted mine eight years ago. My '95 is my primary user and not a safe queen. Front band hasn't moved yet.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Sounds good to me , if yours is a 405 what have you used it on and what were the results ?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No safe queens here either.

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

None here either.

I've got uncle Mikes on mine also.

8)
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Great pictures , thanks !!!
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I ordered some flush mount studs from Brownells for my 1895 (made in 1905). The wood isn't original and I hate the way sling stud look on a levergun. I also ordered the installation jig. Unfortunately both were back ordered so I am still waiting.

Dave
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

I do not mind the looks of just the studs . I am more concerned that a for end mounted swivel will bash your hand on recoil. At least in the 405 I heard this was not uncommon .
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My vintage 1924 '95 wears these type mounts.Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

what does the forward one look like ?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Eagles, they are like those on the 71. Similar were an option at least as far back as the 1876.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Mike , the 71 is in the for end cap at the end of the magazine tube that I have . The 95 has no such end cap so is yours screwed in the for end , in the wood or mounted on the barrel itself ?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sorry for the confusion, but, it is screwed into the forend. Sights were on the gun when I bought it. I'm sure that they are not original, but very functional on a very inexpensive shooter .30-06 SRC. :)